Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #1
Cat C-12 Serpentine Drive Belt

The Serpentine drive belt on my 2001 Affinity squeals loud enough to draw attention. Neither the Napa Belt 25 0881153 or the Carquest 5081155 (K081153) same identical belt stops the squeal. Belt seems too tight and too wide. The original belt was thrown out when it was replaced by the mechanic. I have called Country Coach-Greg will "research" for $25. but can't guarantee that he can come up with another belt number. $1000. later and still have the same problem. I have tried belt dressing, etc. to no avail. All the pulleys and tensioner have recently been replaced by CAT- no change. Has anyone else experienced this and solved the problem? The sound is definitely the belt and cannot believe no one has the answer. Their idea is to drive back (600 miles)...no guarantees.

olyshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
I have found on some systems the groves on the pulleys have debris. I use something like an o ring prick or a very pointy tool to really clean deep in the groves with brake clean. New belt and spotless pulleys usually do the trick. If you look close you may see hard grease deep in the grooves.

IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Maybe check all items the belt touches.

Belt tensioner or alternator could have bad bearing causing more than expected horse power load resulting in belt slipping.

Get an ir thermometer and let engine idle for a bit then look for hot spots.

Friction or drag will create heat.

If yiu have correct belt it should be fine...but problem likely not the belt but noise indicating issue.
Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
If you are sure the belt size is correct, remove the belt and clean ALL OF THE PULLY GROOVES with spray on brake cleaner. Then use the brake cleaner on a rag to thoroughly clean the belt. Let every thing dry and reinstall. If it still squeals, I would suspect a belt too long or the tensioner is at maximum travel.
In my many years involved with heavy duty truck maintenance, I have used this procedure several times and it worked about 90% of the time.
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide
C9-400 Kitty Kat, '08 Jeep Commander
Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Here are the belt numbers I have for my C12 in a 2003 Magna,

Short belt without A/C compressor # 25-080806 Napa Micro-V
Long belt NAPA # is 25-081153

Looks that same as yours. I agree with above. You may have a worn bearing on the idler of a misalignment.

Good luck
George in Birmingham
'03 Magna 6298
42' Resort
gsander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
Here are the part numbers I have for our 2002 Affinity, C-12.
Country Coach: 18677
Gates: K081153
I know the Gates works on our engine because that's what I put on as a replacement ~2,000 miles ago. It shows no sign of rubbing or other abnormal wear and runs quiet, if you can say that with the engine hatch open and your head poked inside with the engine idling.

There is a Dayco cross-reference number of 5081155 which is the same number given for the Carquest belt in the OP. I have not tried this belt.

The Gates description says it's 1.1 inches wide, 0.17 inches thick, 8 ribs, and 115.5 inches long (effective length).

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2003 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Thanks for all your suggestions. As we all know, the C-12 engine serpentine belt originally did not come with the engine due to different CC configurations. Our Affinity is an all electric coach-no propane and a bigger alternator. The belt that was installed on our coach, 081153, by Coach Care(Cummins) was too small by at least 1 inch and the tensioner was at full stop. The belt number on our coach stated CC 18677 but then it also stated that we had propane-so much for accuracy. Cat replaced all idlers and tensioner but the replacement belt was the exact same belt that was giving us problems, 081153,(loud squeal). After no assistance but alot of our own research, we found a Dayco serpentine belt #5081178 Gold that was 1.66" longer and fits perfectly with the tensioner working as it should. We did clean all idlers/pulleys prior to installing new belt. This Dayco belt may have been the one that was originally on the Affinity but since Coach Care threw it out -no verification. In any event we are pleased and thought we might share this info with other all-electric Affinitys.
olyshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #8
Thanks, olyshed, for closing the loop on this. I'm surprised that 1.66" made such a difference in a belt this long. The specs on your now-correct belt and my replacement belt are exactly the same except for that one-inch-plus difference. Our coach is all-electric too.
In any case I'm putting your part number in my spreadsheet as a possible substitute in the event that I need a replacement while on the road. I also saved the belt that was on the engine when we bought the coach. Don't know the part number on it but will look.

Thanks again for posting the outcome of your efforts.

Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2003 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote