Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #15

Salesman said 6v92, once I saw it knew he was wrong. It is absolutely an inline 6. So series 40 or 60. At 330hp/950 Ft lbs I'm betting on Series 40. It's an 8.7 liter so can it be bumped up any. Saw a thread where the 330 could be pushed to 1060 ft lbs. anyone know if that's true?? And how it is done??
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
laj

or 50. as said, need to find tag and that will tell you exactly what it is. 60's usually start around 430 HP.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Go to the bathroom and look on the inside of the cabinet doors. There should be a spec sheet of all the goodies including serial numbers...... at least on the 2002 models

Also this may help out on the price. See what they are asking contact them to see if they sold it and what they sold it for.

http://rvs.oodle.com/1998/manhattan-...bs=1&r=country
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:43 AM   #18

Detroit quit building the 92 series two strokes in 1995 I think. It should be a 4 stroke inline 6 after that.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #19

Can't you just look in the manuals? That is what I did when I bought mine. Mike you indicated it came with full set of manuals. I have been in a few 98-99 Magna's and they are beautiful coaches inside. You might have to go a bit slow up some steep mountain roads with under 1,000 lbs of torque. Our motor has 1550 lbs of torque and glides up steep roads. I think the year you are looking at will weigh just a bit less than ours.

If this one sat for a long time without use in the barn that might have caused some problems.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:51 AM   #20

Thanks for advice B Bob. Manuals do say 275/75/22.5. However, a I was able to speak with original owner, and he sorta remembers a tire recall on that year coach. Upgraded to 295's. Second owner also called me and said he had put on new drive tires in 2011, just because of age. The 275/75 on the front were not bad so he didn't change them. The tire place said the 295/75/22.5 were what was now recommended. I get 6 new tires with deal, so I want to do it right first time. Do you know if 315 will fit. Thought I read a thread that they would, but can't find it. I'm on cell phone which limits searching somewhat. Thanks
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #21

Mike - I only know that 315s fit on my coach. I can tell you that 315s are more expensive and the choices of tire brands is more limited than the smaller size. You should give the factory in Junction City a call and see if they can shed any light on that.

Something to be aware of too is that on my coach the wheels/rims are different on the two fronts compared to the six back tires. Normally the aluminum wheels are rated for 120 psi max. cold pressure. This matches the tires I have on the rear of my coach in that all six are rated 120 psi. max cold pressure too. On the fronts the rims are special and rated for 130 psi. max cold pressure. The 315 tires on the front are also 130 psi. max cold pressure. You can tell the rims apart as the 130s on the front have much smaller holes in them.

My point would be that to get the higher load carry on the 315s one of the key ingredients is being able to go up to 130. It took me a while to find out about all this. I actually had one highly rated (rated highly in a recent thread on this web site.) suggest that I rotate my tires. So be careful about what others tell you Mike. Tires are very important features of a motorhome and it is not something to screw up.

Mike I don't know where you are in the USA. What ever you do make SURE!!!! the tires you are going to put on the coach are recent. This is not something you think of with cars, but very significant with motorhomes. The first tires I bought the supposed highly rated repair place put on were already 1 1/2 years old. Many tires in stock will be over a year old. Do not let a tire place sell you on taking those tires. After getting the first two tires I asked my RV friends for tire place recommendations. They gave me a local place that is a high volume truck place for OTR (over the road) trucks. This place had all kinds of tires in the size I needed almost brand new. The tires I bought from them were under a month old.

Here is the key on your motorhome about the tires. You need enough carry capacity on your motorhome to carry the motorhome and all your stuff. So you need to weight your coach on all four corners. Then you check the carry capacity of the tires you want from their web site or brochure and go from there. But if you call the CC factory they will give you recommendations for size and carry capacity of tires and inflation. (inflation should be on the left side of the driver's seat on a plastic plate just to the left of your left knee. At least mine is. ) When I bought my coach there was a weigh sheet from Bekins in the desk drawer. But you can just call factory for help. They may charge you a few bucks, but that is how they stay in business and are a resource for us.

Hope that helps. You can PM me any time.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #22

I happened to have the spec sheet on 1998 Magna - attached. Shows the engine to be a Series 40, which according to wiki is a rebranded International DT/Maxforce International. Model (guessing from displacement) would be a DT530 (produced between '94-'97). Is not unusual for the engine to be a model year older than the coach.
List of International Harvester/Navistar engines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1998_Magna.pdf (2.19 MB, 168 views)
JohnFitz is offline   Reply With Quote