Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

CC Detroit 330 purchase.

We need advice. Found a barn stored 1998 330 Detroit Diesel, 112,000 miles, every bell and whistle, super clean. It also has a 1999 floor plan with one slide. It's in excellent condition. All help would be much appreciated.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #2

By the way it's a 40' Magna.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I'd start by going to rv.org and get their product it will be the best money you'll spend on an rv. After reading all their material you'll be in a better position to evaluate what you're looking at. CC have good bones and are well made coaches. How long has it been sitting in the garage since it's been on the road. Check the tire codes to see how old they are. Get all of the maintenance records to see how well the coach has been taken care of. Go to oodle.com and look for similar coaches to find out what they've been asking for them. This is just a start and you will get a lot of suggestions from other members. But I think the most important advice is don't fall in love with it and don't be afraid to walk away till you have all your questions answered.
Good Luck and Happy hunting
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #4
Travel Nurse Chauffeur

Monaco Owners Club
Depending on what you want to do with it it may be a bit underpowered for that size coach. But the 6v92 is a great motor, it is a two stroke, but a great motor.
vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

Thanks for advice. He's only asking 52,000 and will put all new tires on it. Comes with ALL factory manuals and schematics. Has a Webesto heating and roof AC/heat. Also air leveling as well as big foot leveling system.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Getting new tires in the deal is a plus for sure. However, as already noted, I would be prepared to spend a fair amount of $$$$$$ on other stuff related to DP's to get it truly road-ready, especially if it has been sitting for a long time and not kept up. Things that will need inspected and either serviced or replaced might include:

coolant hoses
drive belt/s
air dryer
fuel filters
air cleaner filter
Hydro Hot fuel filter and burner nozzle
genset filters----air filter, fuel filter, oil filter
may need to drain, flush and refill coolant system with new coolant. SCA's in coolant need to be checked.

As noted, CC makes a very stout, well built coach. However, it is 16 years old. I would take that into consideration if/when you make an offer.

Finally, while NADA is not the end-all, be-all their data gives that coach an average retail price around $27,000, low retail of about $23,000. Based on that info, it would seem you would have a lot of room to bargain.

Good luck and let us know if you make the deal.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

A barn find CC!?

98 was in the good years of CC build. I'm not real up on the engine, assume it's a 60 series, and they were used in many over the road busses of that era.

Another board to drop in on, that may have some owners of similar year Magna's, is the Yahoo CC Owner Group. They might be able to give you any caution areas to check over closely. Each model, seem so to have one or two areas that can be 'unique'.

Price? Sure, don't pay too much, regardless of how nice of a gem it is! However, if it is in "10" condition, don't be afraid to pay upper end and perhaps a bit more. IMO, condition, condition, condition is the key. If it really is a 'gem', it could be worth a bit more. BUT, only if you really think it meets your needs, and you like the layout.

One slide, or no slide, can be an impact on future ability to sell the unit. However I know many owners of no or one slide high end coaches - that are very, very happy. So, it all depends on what matters to you.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

We've been stewing all day on this CC Magna. Nada listed it at 43,000/56000, but we can't find it in 98' listings. Is has a slide, which was first shown on 99' models?! Could have been special order? DWLoves it, but I'm not real familiar with DD engines. The frame looks great, no rust very good condition, very solid on test drive, and looks extremely well maintained. No maintenance records says dealer. But will call old owner and ask. Any more advice would be welcome.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
We've been stewing all day on this CC Magna. Nada listed it at 43,000/56000, but we can't find it in 98' listings. Is has a slide, which was first shown on 99' models?! Could have been special order? DWLoves it, but I'm not real familiar with DD engines. The frame looks great, no rust very good condition, very solid on test drive, and looks extremely well maintained. No maintenance records says dealer. But will call old owner and ask. Any more advice would be welcome.
NADA RV guides does have listings for 1998 CC's. Is this the model referred to as 'great room?'. Here is NADA listing for 1998 Magna 40' with 'Great Room:'
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1998/C...3005849/Values

See if the dealer will gain permission from the original owner for you to call him. I made that a requirement of the deal when we bought our last two DP's. If dealer could not arrange for me to talk directly to prior owner, 'no deal'. In both cases I discovered info that dealer just did not know about the coaches.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #10

I missed that you were not dealing with the owner. If you don't have the documented maintenance record, then pull oil and trans fluid samples and send in for analysis. Make a clear report a condition of purchase.

If you do get to talk with the owner, hope you do, then ask questions about maintenance history. I find RV owners to come in three groups: 1) Use it until something breaks, then take it into the shop. 2) Do minimal maintenance, and ignore many important smaller things. 3) Maintain it like they love it, because they do. (I find that most owners fall into the 3rd grouping. So that is a good thing.)

Ask a few questions like:
-Hose OEM, or replaced?
-Last time the Air Cartridge was replaced?
-Have the fuel supply lines to the generator (and Aqua Hot if it has one.) been replaced? (The new ULSD did not play well with fuel lines used to service those areas. It's not if, it's when, they will start leaking.)
-Last time trans fluid replaced? Did the shift over to TranSynd.
-Same of radiator fluid? OAT or standard fluid?

Etc.

You said something in your last post that jumped out at me, the wife likes the coach - and that means alot. So going the extra mile to find out more about the true mechanical condition - is worth the effort.

On the Detroit, do check in with the CC User Group - I bet someone will have hands on opinions on that engine.

Best of luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #11
laj

6v92 great engine, smooth and they run well. no real mech. issues. It is a 2 stroke. noisier, won't get as good of fuel mileage as the 60 series 4 strokes. biggest downside is they do leak oil. valve cover gaskets are the worse. no problem getting parts for, and if you do need to they are simple and easy to work on. if I liked the rest of the coach the engine wouldn't be a deterrent.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #12

I'm confused. This is supposed to be. Series 40 Fire Equipment engine. The literature that came with coach says -- model S40 8.7 LTA, charge cooled, HEUI (4 STROKE) 530cu inch/950 ft lbs torque. Engine Serial number 1084510. Am I being mislead or is this a 4stroke.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet
I'm confused. This is supposed to be. Series 40 Fire Equipment engine. The literature that came with coach says -- model S40 8.7 LTA, charge cooled, HEUI (4 STROKE) 530cu inch/950 ft lbs torque. Engine Serial number 1084510. Am I being mislead or is this a 4stroke.
Time to hunt for a Serial Number on the beast... Can't say where to look but it is should be there somewhere and probably in more than one place. Have flashlight will travel.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
laj

I thought someone said it was a 6v92.
easy to look at and tell the difference between that and series 40. series 40- inline
other is v-6
laj is offline   Reply With Quote