Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CC Planning new Allure and Magna

I got an email from CC with their most recent issue of their mag, Destinations. In the issue they state (with a qualifier that financing is still in the works) their engineers are developing plans for an Allure and a Magna. It will be interesting to see if they can pull this off.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #2

The newsletter said they were doing great but they just laid off two techs for lack of work

Most CC owners like me will at some point want to downsize. CC in the past didn't see it and it cost them the company. If the new company would build a smaller, quality coach, they could sell a bunch. In these days and times, not a lot of people want to lay out $800K for a new coach

Old 01-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
The newsletter said they were doing great but they just laid off two techs for lack of work

Most CC owners like me will at some point want to downsize. CC in the past didn't see it and it cost them the company. If the new company would build a smaller, quality coach, they could sell a bunch. In these days and times, not a lot of people want to lay out $800K for a new coach
I would agree that if they only plan to build a 45' $800K coach, there will be a very limited number of potential buyers. Also, there seems to be a sufficient number (small but sufficient) of high line coach makers already there.

Also, there are plenty of smaller rigs out there so, in either case, there are a lot of choices for buyers.

I guess we have moved in the opposite direction..... as we've gotten closer to retirement, we've moved up in size. I'll never say never but I don't think we would want to go into a smaller rig. I retire in May and we hope to get maybe 8 - 10 years of RV travel out of the Allure then hang up the keys.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

There are small rig builders out there but none are built like a CC. That is the reason that the 32-33 foot CC's draw a premium on the secondary market.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
There are small rig builders out there but none are built like a CC. That is the reason that the 32-33 foot CC's draw a premium on the secondary market.
Good point. It does seem all (most) of the premium rigs are at least 40' nowadays. I have a neighbor with an older 34' Foretravel that is still a nice looking solid coach. We met a couple at Myrtle Beach recently with a new-to-them 36' Allure of early 2000's vintage. It was beautiful and they were thrilled with it.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would love to be able to buy a new Magna when they get financing, but unless my wife picks the right 6 numbers that is not in the cards.

I also would not want to downsize at present. We have become accustomed to our 45 feet and would feel cramped in a smaller rig. A bath and a half would be great, but again that 6 numbers problem still exists, LOL!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #7

They have been close to getting the financing done for 3 years now. It doesn't take that long unless something is wrong, and my guess is that Mr. Lee does not want to relinquish any control. I would like to see them get something done because as consumers, we all benefit from competition both in terms of price and innovation. The demise of CC and the diminishment of Monaco has left a much smaller 600hp 45 ft selection and some of us still like the big coaches. I'll stick with Newmar but it would not bother me to see more competition in this segment.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #8

Last word I heard from Lee is that he is trying to secure funding from the government EB5 visa program. The money he is trying for would come from China.

For those that are not familiar with the EB5 program, go here for some info. EB-5 visa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One other comment. We have friends that wanted the origional factory to build then a new 40" Magna. He told one of the Howards that he was willing to pay list price for one. The reply was that they didn't make enough money off the short coaches.

So the fools put all their eggs in the Veranda basket and lost everything. In the end, the only thing being built was the Veranda.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #9

Thor and Fleetwood seem to sell a ton on their 33ft Palazzo's and Excursions
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Thor and Fleetwood seem to sell a ton on their 33ft Palazzo's and Excursions
And Winnebago/Itasca used to sell a bunch of their 34' Journey's and Meridians. I think what is being suggested here is that while there are certainly buyers for Palazzo's, Excursions and Journeys, there are folks who want a more high end coach like Country Coach. I had a 36' Journey for 8 years and it was built well for its price point. However, the CC I now have is a totally different animal. When we were looking for a replacement for the Journey, we looked at higher end Newmars (Mountain Aire, Essex), American Coach (Revolution, Traditions and American Dream), and a couple of higher end Monacos. We were limited to 2005 - 2007 model years due to budget. Frankly, we saw nothing as nice and as sturdily built (from what I could see poking around everywhere) as the Allure we got.

While I don't know the history of CC, it appears whatever decisions they made when the economy turned sour were not the right ones, or they had too much debt....or a combination of both. Those manufacturers like Winnebago, Newmar and Tiffin, had no debt and found a way to build what many folks wanted to buy.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

The fact that Allure has been added to the previously announced new Magna's indicates that CC seems to think there needs to be lower end coaches too. It would be nice if Country Coach starts building new coaches. However, I do not want them to jeopardize what they are currently doing. I have been up to the CC factory twice in the last three years for service and they have done a great job. I want to keep doing that. I am planning to go up to Junction City again later in the year.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Not much market for under 40 foot coaches in the 300K+ category. Even the 40-footers are losing ground to 42-45 footers.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Not much market for under 40 foot coaches in the 300K+ category. Even the 40-footers are losing ground to 42-45 footers.
Not sure I agree with this last statement.

We're specifically looking for a 40' CC with quad slides due to the fact that above that, camp ground spots get very limited.

Another thread specifically address this situation (problem). The 42' and above are simple not conducive to traditional parks, state and federal parks.

We'd love to have a larger rig. But enjoy the freedom of more park site availability.

If we simply boon-docked, then no problem at all.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Agree with Fun, we are looking for 40' for many of the reasons he stated and in CA it is the cutoff for regular license. Also in many campgrounds we have been in the space would hold larger but maneuvering to and into the spot is a different story.
Problem with smaller is we currently have 36' with 2 slides. Only reason to change it out is more slides and a little length.
Too much cost to only change for diesel chassis.

2006 Dolphin 5355 Future CC owner
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote