Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CC Service in Forest City??

When we had a Winnebago coach we had some work done at their factory service center in Forest City, IA. It was a good experience.

So now I wonder if (when they really get things settled in JC) if Winnebago will offer factory service/repairs on CC's at both JC and FC? I realize the real CC talent is Oregon-based but the option to get repairs done in IA vs OR would be great for those of us living in the East.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you call them, worst they can say is, "No."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:32 PM   #3

I guess you could be the test case. Lucky for me I am close to the mother lode of CC techs
Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I guess you could be the test case. Lucky for me I am close to the mother lode of CC techs
I certainly would not expect they would be ready to answer the question now. We are planning a late summer, early fall trip that will take us to HWH in Moscow, IA to have our entire leveling and air ride system checked. We will pass very near Forest City and could always need something else done. I will contact them this summer.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #5

If you like BBQ, a restaurant in Ames called Hickory Park is pretty yummy An Ames Tradition! | Hickory Park Restaurant Co.

Taking the factory tour at Winnie is worth doing also. When we toured, they were building 265 gassers a week!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
When we had a Winnebago coach we had some work done at their factory service center in Forest City, IA. It was a good experience.

So now I wonder if (when they really get things settled in JC) if Winnebago will offer factory service/repairs on CC's at both JC and FC? I realize the real CC talent is Oregon-based but the option to get repairs done in IA vs OR would be great for those of us living in the East.
I found the techs in Forest City (Lichtsinn) to be very knowledgeable and competent. Most of them have likely worked at the Winnebago factory.

I would not feel as comfortable with them working on a different brand as working on a Winnebago. I expect that a competent tech is a competent tech on any brand. It is just the familiarity I would wonder about.

I think they will do good repairs but might take a bit longer to complete the task.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE:

Several years ago when IRV2 had moderators assigned to specific areas, I was one of the Winnebago owners' forums mods. During that 2 - 3 year period, I got to know one of Winnebago's factory service supervisors. A really great fellow who helped me get info for owners on the forum.

I reached out to him with my question and he said, yes, that Winnebago will begin offering service for CC's at their Forest City, IA location. They have invited CC owners to join with WIT members and come to their big Grand National Rally in July. He is hoping CC folks will take the opportunity to check out the factory operations.

He admits there will be a learning curve but it is good to know we have a Midwest option for factory service.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #8

Smitty, I have been part of a "learning curve" before and got the short end of the stick. I don't feel like paying someone $120-$150 an hour to learn. Granted there isn't a lot of difference between the Winnie and CC house systems and could be an easy learn especially with the detailed schematics and manuals we get with the CC. When it comes to the chassis and the hydraulic slide mechanisms, well I just don't know.

The same day that Ron announced the sale of the company, our club received an email for us to join WIT. The jury is still out on that. Currently our club gets parts discounts from a number of service facilities and most of us are within a few hours of those services. Whether or not we would get discounts without belonging to WIT isn't known yet.

BTW, just last week I drove by the old CC facilities and the CC signs are still there.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yep, us too!!

And, unfortunately I'm going to need them to fix a few things, like a fogged window and no interior gen start.

Just changed the front shocks on Sat to the new KONI 99 EVO units. New Desno starter is in too.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, us too!!

And, unfortunately I'm going to need them to fix a few things, like a fogged window and no interior gen start.

Just changed the front shocks on Sat to the new KONI 99 EVO units. New Desno starter is in too.
No way would I go to Forest City for a window and gen start.

Dave Root in Oregon for the window and Oregon Motorcoach for the genny problem
Old 04-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Uhh... Don, we live just North of Portland, OR a few miles

Dave Root is over in Bend so I'll probably go to Coburg to the glass place right across from the Prevost converter.

Really need to quit working so I can take care of the DW, house and MH!!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I also would not go to any factory (especially if I had to drive a long distance or it was otherwise not on a planned route trip) for any fix I could have done at a more local or nearby shop. When we visited the Winnebago factory when we had a Journey it was for replacement of slide bushings and I felt they were our best option. Winnebago did not do any serious chassis service other than routine maintenance.

You folks who live on the west coast have it made in terms of being near to folks with lots of CC expertise. Us easterners do have the advantage of being closer to HWH in IA in case of the need to get that system repaired by folks best able to do that. When we make a late summer, early fall trip out to Wyoming, Montana, and maybe Las Vegas, we do plan to stop at the HWH facility in Moscow, IA for a thorough check of our leveling and slide systems.

Tags
service