Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #1

CC? Yes. But which one???????

We're spending time on many websites, at local dealers and with local (within 100 miles of San Diego) private parties seeking specifically a CC 40', 425 Cumm, TAG and twin coaches. Other possibilities are 42' and 43' but admittedly, a stretch due to our favorite camping areas being somewhat restrictive to larger rigs (not a deal killer for what we get in the larger coaches).

While we truly understand that layout, functionality and driveability/comfort are/should be key decision makers, CC has lots of Core Models and many more Models within Models. This make our search even more complex!!!!! Obviously when we see the differences... We always want MORE!!!!!!!!!! And yes, cost/affordability is always the limiting consideration - BUY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN AFFORD!!!!!. Or at most what you can COMFORTABLY afford.

The core models CC built starting from highest to lowest are:

1. Affinity
2. Magna
3. Intrigue
4. Allure
5. Inspire
6. Tribute

OK. I've spent some time on Damon Rapoz website and am more confused than before.

With all of this said, my question (FINALLY): We understand that as we move up in the pecking order from lowest to highest, the interiors get progressively more luxurious - and very nice!!!! But other than that expensive "window treatment" what more are we getting. Example: Different chassis, drive systems, leveling systems, etc., etc.,...

What are the OUT-OF-SIGHT benefits? Or are they simply and only all of what is visible and luxurious?
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #2

Things also blur based upon years, within models. And in some years, like 2002-2005 (or maybe 2006), the option choices could get you very close between models. Like an Allure optioned out with very close to Intrigue level goodies.

Tribute and Inspire generally have W/H vs Aqua/Hydro Hot.

Allure on up moves you into Hydro Hot, and radiant floor heating.

Chassis are made with different sub components as you move up the food chain, to handle extra weights.

You usually have to go to the Intrigue on up, to get a bigger block engine. With intrigue's in some years having ISL or Big CAT option.

You said ISL425, so I assume you are looking for like a Intrigue or Allure. As most Inspires have the CAT C9. The higher model, like Affinity, usually have the BIG CAT and Allison 4000. Though a few coaches had a CAT transmission too.

On the inside, the higher you go up model, the more goodies you get in electronic and higher grades cloth materials. These all add weight.

IMO the sweet spot in the model line, is the Intrigue. Not real full of extra goodies that can add to the maintenance years ahead. Can be had with the Big CAT, if pulling power is important. It also moves up from most, not all, Allure's with things like two 240 electric elements vs one in the Allure. Which can usually keep up with hot water demands for showers without running the diesel option on the Hydro Hot. Our Allure single element handles washing dishes, and one quick shower, but not at the same time.

As you are in San Diego area too. You might want to go in and sit down with Steve Wilson at Holland Motors. He is a true professional, honest straight shooter. A wealth of knowledge. And he will know of coaches that you may never see advertised. People trading in, leaving RV'ing, or just needing to sell. Many of the best coaches never make it to the lot, or are ever advertised. He helped us fine our Allure.

Best of luck on your hunt. Oh, and on size, 42' gets you a full third bay vs 2 1/2 bays - if storage space is important to you...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

Go to RVingplanet.com and look up Country Coach. They have the specifications for all the different models and floor plans for model year 2009. Damon Rapozo's website goes into detail of the year-to year changes. Floor plans were used for many years, so the floorplans will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect for older coaches. RVT.com is one of the many sites that give you a wide range of years and models. Good luck!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #4

If you want a '36, we're needing to sell ours.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #5

By the way, if cost is no object - I do also feel the Affinity is in a class of it's own. With higher end Foretravel's being in the same league. These both are still a notch below Newell, but not by far!

And for grins, what is your local favorite camping spot that can be tight?
Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
By the way, if cost is no object - I do also feel the Affinity is in a class of it's own. With higher end Foretravel's being in the same league. These both are still a notch below Newell, but not by far!

And for grins, what is your local favorite camping spot that can be tight?
Best,
Smitty
Thanks. Lots of really good info. And I agree about the Allure and Integra. We've see the differences. With all of the comments about chassis, that was/is a concern or at least a thought to ponder.

For a bit tighter spots in and around San Diego:
1. Joshua Tree State park
2. High Sierras
3. Julian's William Heise for the few spots with elect
4. State parks
5. Federal parks
6. Pismo Beach is OK if you reserve early. We prefer spare-of-the-moment trips with no plans. We simply pack up a go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those have been some of our most positively memorable trips.

With that said, we do a lot of wilderness camping. We like that the best!!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #7

Country Coach is a very good choice, your question as to what model is a good one. You mentioned several places you like to go ie Pismo Beach, Julian, etc. We also go to these areas a lot, which brings me to my suggestions, we have a 2004 Country Coach Allure, which I believe is a great coach. It has the best qualities of a Country Coach, but not as luxurious as the upper models, which I find to be a plus. It has most of the items you mentioned 40' tag axle, Cummins engine although in this model it is rated at 370, Hydro Hot Heating, etc.
As you move up the so called food chain of models they clearly become more luxurious, but do you really want more luxury while camping in the desert or at the beach. When I am out on the beach or in the desert exploring with the dogs you often want less luxury. I am considering removing the carpet from my coach and replacing it with some easy care hard surface, either tile or wood. Anyway as you look at coaches the luxury models clearly show better and are more impressive to look at, but consider the way you intend to use your coach and ask if that luxury is a plus or a minus. Good luck.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Young View Post
Country Coach is a very good choice, your question as to what model is a good one. You mentioned several places you like to go ie Pismo Beach, Julian, etc. We also go to these areas a lot, which brings me to my suggestions, we have a 2004 Country Coach Allure, which I believe is a great coach. It has the best qualities of a Country Coach, but not as luxurious as the upper models, which I find to be a plus. It has most of the items you mentioned 40' tag axle, Cummins engine although in this model it is rated at 370, Hydro Hot Heating, etc.
As you move up the so called food chain of models they clearly become more luxurious, but do you really want more luxury while camping in the desert or at the beach. When I am out on the beach or in the desert exploring with the dogs you often want less luxury. I am considering removing the carpet from my coach and replacing it with some easy care hard surface, either tile or wood. Anyway as you look at coaches the luxury models clearly show better and are more impressive to look at, but consider the way you intend to use your coach and ask if that luxury is a plus or a minus. Good luck.
"Hydro Hot Heating" as apposed to "Aqua Hot" I'm learning a lot on this search for a New to-us rig. Is one simply the newer version of the other?

I noticed as we look around that these take a chunck of storage.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I believe Aqua Hot is a newer version of Hydro Hot. Aqua Hot may have 3 zone pumps for heating. My Hydro Hot has 2 zones. These are in addition to the basement zone.

Do the Allures and Intrigues have air leveling with 10 bag air ride systems? My Magna does. I have built in surge and voltage protection. Does the Allure or Intrigue? I have the C13 cat 525 HP motor with Allison 4000 6 speed tranny. I also have 3 zone engine brake that hold my coach and toad at manageable speeds down 7% without the brake use. I have 3 slides in the basement storage area. And yes, I have a very high level of fit and finish inside. (I'm not kidding in the examples above, I do not know if the Allures and Inspires have these things)

I believe these are the type of things that differentiate the various models. These differences may vary from year to year as well. I do know these are some of the things that differentiate a CC from others.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #10

Just for fun - We live in San Diego. I agree with the previous poster about Steve Wilson. We ended up not buying from him, but he is a very knowledgeable sales person with Holland. Holland used to sell new Country Coaches and still sells and services used ones.

I have driven quite a few Country Coaches. All the ones I drove handled well and seemed beautiful inside. I really don't think there are any bad models of Country Coaches. The only other maker of class A's I could say the same thing about is Foretravel.

There are differences in the models of Country Coach. We bought ours because we loved the interior with a southwest style to it. And it drove like it was on rails. The very first time I test drove it the big CAT motor got right up to freeway speed and it was rock solid at freeway speed. We spent more than we had intended to and bought a bit older coach than planned. But I am still happy with the decision.

The higher end models do come with a lot of added features and then almost all the other stuff you want is included as standard. But in no way is any Country Coach a low end machine. I do prefer side radiators, and a few Country Coaches came with rear.

If you really want to camp in Joshua, Heise, and most CA State Parks maybe a CC is not for you. I volunteer at a CA State park and think the max RV size in our park is about 30'. Joshua would be tight for any Country Coach, I think. I believe Heise has a max of about 32' length.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
If you really want to camp in Joshua, Heise, and most re nothing nasty was ment.CA State Parks maybe a CC is not for you. I volunteer at a CA State park and think the max RV size in our park is about 30'. Joshua would be tight for any Country Coach, I think. I believe Heise has a max of about 32' length.
That seems like a rather odd comment. While I'm sure nothing nasty was meant... We plan on taking our coach anywhere - and most definitely boon-docking in desolate areas.

And in regard to Heise, we put our 38' into most of their "electric" spots with lost of room to spare. Joshua Tree also accommodates our rig with a little bit of talented maneuvering. Of which I pride myself in, enjoying!!!!!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I believe Aqua Hot is a newer version of Hydro Hot. Aqua Hot may have 3 zone pumps for heating. My Hydro Hot has 2 zones. These are in addition to the basement zone.

Do the Allures and Intrigues have air leveling with 10 bag air ride systems? My Magna does. I have built in surge and voltage protection. Does the Allure or Intrigue? I have the C13 cat 525 HP motor with Allison 4000 6 speed tranny. I also have 3 zone engine brake that hold my coach and toad at manageable speeds down 7% without the brake use. I have 3 slides in the basement storage area. And yes, I have a very high level of fit and finish inside. (I'm not kidding in the examples above, I do not know if the Allures and Inspires have these things)

I believe these are the type of things that differentiate the various models. These differences may vary from year to year as well. I do know these are some of the things that differentiate a CC from others.

Not sure about the earlier models of Allures, but our 2007 has most of those things; air leveling, Aqua Hot, built-in surge protector, heated tile floors, stacked W/D, 3 roof AC/heat pumps. My ISL has a 2 stage Jake brake. The Allure only has one air bag per wheel position, six total. We looked at an Intrigue when he got this coach and we saw no real difference in the interior appointments... both had the medium cherry wood and both were nice. While I would have preferred either the ISM or the 500hp CAT, the 425 ISL on the Allure seems plenty powerful and perhaps a bit less thirsty for fuel.

We also looked at some high end Monaco, AC Eagle, and Newmar Essex and Mountain Aires and decided, at least in our view, the CC's were more 'tastefully' decorated than the others. Some of those looked like the designers were trying to over decorate with sashes, mirrors, and other bling that we just did not like.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #13

You have to take the year of the coach into consideration when trying to compare features. For instance, when I bought the '02 Intrigue, it and all models above has the hydro heating, the Allure didn't. Then some years later, the Allure got the hydro heating and the models below it didn't. Then some years later, the models below the Allure got hydro heat. Same thing with engines. I could have ordered the ISL but considered the almost $9K a little much. Back in those days 9K would have bought a lot of fuel. Larger engines were options as you went up the food chain and then as yers went on, the larger engines began showing up in the lower lines of coach
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #14

Another place you might want to check is the Country Coach website. They have 10-15 rigs on consignment at the old factory site up in Oregon. We are up here in Junction City getting our new (to us) 2002 Intrigue checked out and get some needed items fixed. While they were checking out the rig, we took a walk through some of the consignment rigs which they have inside one of the old manufacturing buildings. Nice to look at what they did to some of the later year models. Good luck in your search!

Gary