Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

CC's on the Prevost foundation - thoughts?

I like to do 'What if?' exercises. I've been looking at two different ones, related to CC's.

1) CC Prevost, 2 slides, with Detroit Engine

2) Older Concept's, with I think the Gillig chassis(?)

I've joined a few Prevost related forums, and recently read from an active contributing dealer, things to consider and plan for when looking at used Prevost based RV's. Depending upon many different factors, he suggested budgeting up to $30K for mechanical related and time maintenance related expenses. (Assuming tires, and house/coach batteries might need replacement at time of purchase. So if those are fresh or within usage life, reduce by $9-12K.) These are for 7 to 15 years old Prevost based RV's.

I'm a big fan of the Prevost Country Coach with two slides. And I was wondering if such owners drop into this CC Owner forum, and if they can confirm if this high of potential cost to catch up and do preventative maintenance is a good ballpark number? (Hoses, belts, airbags, air valves, etc.)

My second What If game is for when we downsize in the future. A under 40' Concept non slide is such a rolling classic. This would be for more local usage, and for sure would be like owning a Classic Car in my mindset. (Sure not knocking them as a very livable and great to use RV. But I think in a future phase of my life, I would treat it more like a rolling classic!) Opinions please, on if the costs would be as high for this era Concept's to bring things up to snuff (if needed)?

Note: I bought our current Allure, and negotiated both price drops and also credits (Credits were a compromise with the sales staff that handled this Concession Sale, as it did hit them on their commissions. Yes, a bit higher on purchased sales tax, but I factored that in.). I put about $12-15K of tires, belts, hoses, batteries. Within the first 3 months of dialing the coach in as ours. I also always recommend that shoppers for used DP's budget for these kinds of costs, plus another hunk for more personal changes like TV's, cabinet work, etc.

OK - Hope I was clear on what I'm asking. Just was wondering if Bus Based CC owners had seen this much higher costs in first taking over such coaches, in comparison to normal DP's.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM   #2

Seems to me it would vary depending on the shape of the coach in question. It may or may not need new tires etc. We are big Country Coach fans, but we are also considering Prevost conversions for our coach replacement. For one thing, we are not fans of slides--we manage fine in our coach without them, and that is not at all the reason we are planning on upgrading, and the Country Coaches we are looking at (07-08 Magna/Affinity) will have four slides. Older Prevosts will have at most two. When I called Marathon in Grand Prairie, the salesman gave me a figure of $5000 a year for maintenance of a Prevost conversion, FWIW.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Seems to me it would vary depending on the shape of the coach in question. It may or may not need new tires etc. We are big Country Coach fans, but we are also considering Prevost conversions for our coach replacement. For one thing, we are not fans of slides--we manage fine in our coach without them, and that is not at all the reason we are planning on upgrading, and the Country Coaches we are looking at (07-08 Magna/Affinity) will have four slides. Older Prevosts will have at most two. When I called Marathon in Grand Prairie, the salesman gave me a figure of $5000 a year for maintenance of a Prevost conversion, FWIW.
Thanks for the input, and sharing what Marathon told you. I've read two different Prevost based User Groups, and asked a few questions too. It was on one of these where I saw the up to $30K on top of the purchase price potential, to get all things caught up. And yes, I did try to distinguish that vary subject to condition of the coach bought!

More of a What If? exercise for me. I've added so much to our existing Allure, that I'd never recover even 20% on the dollar of what has gone in. And, I'd either have the cost of labor to move the solar panel system over, or build a new one, and neither of those options would be cheap?

If we do get more fed up with what the State of California is doing, and even our local San Diego area - we could just liquidate our properties. Buy a future downscaled retirement home (of course with RV Garage!) in another location. And then 'possibly' (Meaning I think it might be a good idea, but DW would just about flip out if I were to do so...) move onto a Prevost. We would want the two slides, as the DW always has a fleet of dawgs that seem to know where to stand to be in the way at all times! I'd have not problem getting the Class A non CDL for a 45', but he DW would really never do so. So that would mean probably dropping even older to a non slide under 45' Prevost - vary few and far between.

And again, for RV downsizing in the future - I sure love the rolling classic lines of the older Concepts. And also the Monaco Signature had a very distinctive and classic line too. And without slides in such Classic RV, perhaps the Fleet of Dawgs would need to stay home!

I had a private PM from an older Prevost owner, and he said he does much of his own maintenance, and it runs as low as $3.5-6.5K per year. No explanation on the variations. Maybe batteries were in one of the higher years, but too low to do tires.

Best,
Smitty
Old 05-13-2015, 05:15 PM   #4

Keep in mind that whatever you have spent on your existing coach is sunk cost, and should not go into a future buying decision. WE have spent a lot of money in the last few years making sure our coach is mechanically in top shape--doubt you will find another like it as mechanically sound.
If we go with a Prevost, it will probably be a 2000-/2002, some have slides, many don't. For those years a 45-footer is a given. I haven't seen a 40-foot Prevost younger than mid-nineties. Also, not many CC Prevosts out there for sale--I think current owners aren't eager to give them up, and CC did not build that many of them. When we take the coach to CC for some work next month, we will stop by Marathon and get a closer look at the coaches in our price range as well as CCs at CC and next door.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wondering why you think the cost would be much different than what you already have or our Magna? Seems like they should be about the same unless the engine blows up or the tranny goes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:39 AM   #6

There are 40' Prevost's out there, 2001-2005 with no slides, 1 slide, and 2 slide. They show up regularly, I've looked at several in person and another dozen or so online over the last couple years.
Mckeerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #7

I agree that the 40' are out there, but with 2 slides the numbers drop.

And on the costs, the Prevost chassis are more complex with more sophisticated air systems. And depending upon the year of the Prevost based coach, some proprietary type diagnostic equipment can be required to pull error codes.

I also think that by advance planning for major service and repairs, we can land with our CC's at areas of the country where shop rates are lower then others. Say Oregon vs Southern California, $15-30 less per hour is quite common. With the Prevost, the same is probably true, the from what I've read on the owners forums, the shop rates are hire to start with.

And yes to understanding what I've put into our coach, I do not expect to pull out... literally pennies on the dollars on some items. But, any other posts over the years, I always have felt we would keep and use this coach for a 10-15 year window of time. So I always amortized the costs of upgrades to the years of usage ahead.

It is always 'fun' for me to look at other coaches and rigs. And, as life changes, sometimes you make decisions that you never forecasted. Not saying we're going to do anything dramatic in the next few years. But, as mentioned above, I could see us making some longer term lifestyle choices and prepping for the longer range living arrangements.

One thing we have regret, was the selling of our older T28 Bounder. It was our first new 'used' rig to RV in. My wife was terrified of mountain roads, so I really went thru it and upgraded the handling in many ways. We made less dramatic upgrades, but still had improved many of the coach systems and appliances. We tried to talk my BIL and a Nephew to go in on buying it from us 'at a deal' and financed price. It would have been good for them to get out with their kids while still living with them, and we enjoy them. So, it would have been a Win/Win. We eventually sold that coach for more then we had paid to buy it, and actually did regroup about 40 cents on the dollar on what we had put into it. (Very unusual. Right buyer, who had a small garage, and came and measured the rig before even going into it. When he sat down and read the receipts, and then I walked him thru the mod's and upgrades - he pulled out a fat envelope and counted out our asking price in cash!! I had left room to drop down 25-35% off that asking price. Still see him around, and he has put another 40K miles on that coach as the new owner.)

Long winded, but we could do the same thing with our Allure. My BIL, has said he is 'ready now' for a good deal!!!

But, we'll probably keep moving down the road in this rig until, or if, we do make more important decisions! We like it, and are still making mod's as I type!!

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #8

Well, I am the proud owner of a 98 Concept, and every time I look at this vintage look 45 foot, I like it even more. Finding one where a lot of things have been renewed is the best bet. just like the Provost , much of the interior shares same components., example; Molon switch control system from anywhere in the coach.. in my case ,i have owned it one year. no major problems, except on our way home from winter in Tucson, pusher axle broke, its been in nm. shop for 2 months while a new assembly is constructed , . i am also looking at new rubber, its been 9 years, otherwise no problems , . Our modern interior, made of glass, stainless, laminates, ultra suede walls and ceiling, looks like new. chassis less than 50,000 miles w/ Detroit series 60 , yes Gillig bus chassis, built like a tank, except lift axle...i was looking for several years for the right unit, i founded it at premier in Jct City. we sold our Monaco Signature 40' mid entry, no slides ever , a month before finding the Concept.. just am impartial option , someone had to say it!
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 PM   #9

The only option that could steer us away from a late model Magna or Affinity would be an older Prevost or Newell. Unfortunately late model Magna/Affinitys all come with 4 slides, and we can do very well without slides, or at least no more than 2. Will check out Marathons on our trip to Junction City. Country Coach Prevost conversions are scarce like hen's teeth, at least in our price range. we'll see what the future brings!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:49 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Country Coach Prevost conversions are scarce like hen's teeth, at least in our price range. we'll see what the future brings!
Yes they are, yet when we pulled in to leave the Magna out in Ridgefield WA to have the broken shocks replaced guess what pulled in right beside us? Yep, one of the few Prevost CC conversions, no slides either. We didn't get a chance to talk to the owner though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yes they are, yet when we pulled in to leave the Magna out in Ridgefield WA to have the broken shocks replaced guess what pulled in right beside us? Yep, one of the few Prevost CC conversions, no slides either. We didn't get a chance to talk to the owner though.
The reasoning behind CC building the Concept was to fill a gap for people who wanted a Provost but could not justify a million or bucks for one. The Concept came in around 650,00 to 700,00 with the idea that a market share was there in that price range.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #12

I must step away from RVTrader. I must step away from RVTrader. I must step away from RVTrader...

Dang, internet coach shopping addiction requires a support group!!

Dang they're some nice looking (And I've seen some real rough and poorly maintained coaches, that had great adds with super looking pictures. So who knows the reality...).

I laugh some, as we're putting about another $10K of upgrades into our existing Allure this year. In the shop now for new front cap and side dual shades, and to finish some cabinet work and install new hifi speakers in the ceiling... When I look at the funds we have put into this coach in mechanical upgrades and customizing the interior to our likes - I keep thinking 'No way should I not stick with our 10-15 year usage, which is what I used to amortized the pain of the checks over this timeframe.

But then I remind myself that life sometimes changes what you thought you were going to do - and that it is OK to change your mind based upon new life variables... Yes, if we did move this coach and move up the food chain, we'd right off some cash (Would get some of it back, but no way close to what we put into it.). It's the '10-15 years' that we'd never be able to get back - and that would be the real loss - or gain, if we shift coaches. We feel blessed that we have the ability to keep 'roughing it' in our Allure - if needed! (Heck, for that matter, we really enjoyed our old Rattle and Roo Bounder (Rattle because it rattled going down the road, and Roo due to the Bounder mascot!) - suspect we'd have been OK in that 98 T28 too!!!

Best to all, go have some fun - and use and enjoy whatever you roll down the road with - but go!
Smitty
Old 05-19-2015, 06:32 PM   #13

Smitty,

I'm also looking at a used, 12-14-year Prevost. You "cannot" purchase a safer coach than Prevost since it's the only coach that's crash tested and made entirely of steel. They do this because there are thousands of them on the road carrying passengers. That being said, they are more expensive to maintain according to everything I've read, but they are built like a tank. But, from my research, set aside a good amount for maintenance.

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. There are so "few" Prevost owners who will ever go back to a plastic coach, unless they are downsizing for health reasons or just hanging up the keys. The other nice thing is you can get a Prevost serviced all over the country since there are more than 130 shops who service the Prevost chassis.

The only thing to be careful on the CC is the electronic instrumentation panel. If that goes out, they cannot be fixed and CC no longer makes them. A Silver Leaf replacement is around $8-$10K. Not sure how great CC support is, although I've read they are providing service for older CC. Just not sure about parts availability.
Jake62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake62 View Post
Smitty,

I'm also looking at a used, 12-14-year Prevost. You "cannot" purchase a safer coach than Prevost since it's the only coach that's crash tested and made entirely of steel. They do this because there are thousands of them on the road carrying passengers. That being said, they are more expensive to maintain according to everything I've read, but they are built like a tank. But, from my research, set aside a good amount for maintenance.

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. There are so "few" Prevost owners who will ever go back to a plastic coach, unless they are downsizing for health reasons or just hanging up the keys. The other nice thing is you can get a Prevost serviced all over the country since there are more than 130 shops who service the Prevost chassis.

The only thing to be careful on the CC is the electronic instrumentation panel. If that goes out, they cannot be fixed and CC no longer makes them. A Silver Leaf replacement is around $8-$10K. Not sure how great CC support is, although I've read they are providing service for older CC. Just not sure about parts availability.
I think the electronic dash controls and displays are the real cool icing on top with the older High end coaches. So far , mine works great, no problems other than the GPS part which went south long ago. I talked to Silver Leaf about installing a split screen rear camera set up in place of the GPS screen, They said no problem and would not be part of the instrument conversion, if and when needed. I was also told it was not a matter of choice, at some point they all go. I can budget for that when that day comes. I would guess Provost have the same problem somewhere down the line. . I especially like the tire monitor system where not only do I see pressure readings , but temps. as well on all axle positions