Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #1

Cel booster mount

My 05 34' Allure has no ladder and I'm looking for a good spot to mount and drill hole for a Cel phone booster antenna. Thoughts?
Papa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #2

Unless you plan to raise it on a pole, and get it up higher, simple roof mounting is an option.

Typically, the shorter the cable run from the antenna to the amp and or direct to a phone, the better. As you lose DB for each foot of cable, and also for each connection. So if you have not yet bought the antenna, consider where you want to use it in the coach. Say a communications cabinet(?), or wherever, and then think about your cable run access.

(We elected to go the communication cabinet route, and put it in the rear bedroom. At the sometime we added solar cable runs down to the basement, we add a secondary roof access 'combiner box', but removed the buss bars to have more room. This second 4X8X2 AM Solar Combiner Box, is to allow the gateway in/out of the coach for cable runs. We now have four cables, with 5th one ongoing on soon:
-WiFiRage EliteAC Flat Mount CAT5 (maybe a CAT6(?))
-Two Maximum Signal 13" Magnetic Mounts
-Mobile Marke MIMO Rooftop antenna (Has a 5th cable for GPS, also run into the coach, but not in current use.)
-We will be running a 50' CAT6 Weather/UV Proof cable from the WiFi Ranger GOac router, up and out, and into another roof penetration by the front of the coaches entertainment area. Will split it here, and feed ROKU, OPPO Blue Ray, DirecTV DVR. (Wifi has worked well, especially with the strong signal from the GOac. But, since we have the room for the cable to feed thru the rear roof well, thought I'd reduce that one more handshake via WiFi - by feeding the CAT6 to the area.

I currently have been trying, four month trial run on this years bigger trip, with the Maximum Signal 13" antennas, and the Mobile Mark MIMO, on top of the rear AC cover. I admit I've had some luck this trip, and been close a few times, of knocking the antennas down while traveling in heavier lower tree paths into and out of a few parks. But has never been knocked down yet! All of the antenna cables feeding into the communication cabinet, are 15' runs, with about 18" to spare inside the coach. And only one, seldom used to feed a WeBoost Sleek, have no adapters in the mix.

Another option for mounting, is if you have a manual crank up TV antenna. If so, attaching the antenna to it will allow you to raise the TV antenna age get a bit more elevation. But that little bit of height difference for cellular, could easily be offset if this requires a longer cable run.

Map out what your going to use. Order the coronets that allow the shortest cable, and try to not need adapters. Roof penetrations, add a water tight combiner type box, for ease of future changes. Add a conduit that is larger then you need, I have two 1 1/2" ones, one from each of the combiner boxes (Solar and Communication, in my case.). The one time cost and effort and efficient waterproofing of the gateway into your coach from your roof top, will allow for future modifications and additions to communications devices down the road. Remember, 5G is coming, as one example.

Techmomedia has a good site to read on the usage of Communication Cabinets. And Jack Mayer also has good reading about many items, including communication.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #3

Thanks for your detailed response. Excellent ideas for future projects.
Papa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In the middle of doing mine. Next is the internal wiring and setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	174129   Click image for larger version

Name:	cell antenna.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	174130  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi antenna.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	174131  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
Community Moderator

i have a tb radio antenna on top of roof but not being used. it's right above the BOMB cabinet, looks like a factory install. don't you have that? that would be a perfect place for your cell antenna.

i have a tmo booster. i place it inside the overhead cabinet above the dinning table. works great.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote