Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 PM   #1

Changing monitor for backup camera while leaving existing camera.

My intec back up camera is on the fritz. I don't really want to change the rear camera since its integrated into the rear of the coach. Its color matched and looks good. Has anyone adapted a new monitor to the old camera or has anyone been able to install a new camera in the rear inside of the old housing?

My coach is a 2000 Allure

Thanks
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
John-

I just went through the this a few months ago on my Concept. Granted my coach is 10 years older than yours but I'm guessing the obstacles are the same. I decided to replace my entire system as the old one had become almost completely useless. I purchased a system from Backup Camera System | Rear View Backup Camera | RearViewSafety.com. They have several systems, both wired and wireless. I went with the three camera wired system which included a rear camera plus left and right side cameras as well as a nice sized color monitor with good resolution. All three cameras have night vision and adapt automatically to low light conditions. I'm extremely pleased with the system. I didn't want to chance interference with the wireless system but they claim they haven't had any problems. In hind sight I would probably try the wireless system as long as they guaranty a full rate exchange for the wired system if there were any issues. The most difficult part was getting the camera cable routed all the way back to the rear of the coach. I was able to install a flexible 3/4" conduit all the way from the right front of the coach to the engine compartment at base of the rear bedroom wall. My old camera was molded into the fiberglass rear shell of the bus and the lens was much larger than modern technology cameras. I removed the old camera and housing and threw it in the trash. I ordered a small sheet of 1/4" black acrylic on Amazon which I used to cover the hole left by the old camera and as a mounting surface for the new camera. I cut the sheet to size on a table saw and used a router with a 1/8" radius rounding bit along the edges to create a nice finished edge. Sealed it in with a clear silicone caulking and it looks factory.

Mounting the side cameras was much easier but admittedly nerve racking drilling the hole in each side of the coach for the side camera cables. I tested the hole size first on a piece of plywood just to be safe. I would recommend a good adhesive for mounting the side cameras instead of drilling for the three small screws provided. Fiberglass and gel coat are not a good medium for screws.

In the end, I couldn't be happier with the new system and safety and comfort levels have increased ten fold. You can also connect trigger wires from the multiplexer to the turn signals and your reverse wire. So far, I have only connected the reverse wire so it will automatically display the rear view with distance markers and activates the microphone on the rear camera. The rear camera mic works great and you can easily hear anyone guiding you at the rear of the coach.

Maybe more than you wanted to know but I'd be happy to share more details if you decide to move forward.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

I have a 2000 CC Magna Indulgence and am in the process of upgrading all of the electronics. In regard to the rear camera, I was able to connect the existing cable going from the factory installed camera to the in-dash Panasonic head unit and connect it to a separate 9-inch monitor I purchased from Tadi Bros (9-Inch LCD Monitor for any Backup Camera) with no problems.
TMTschaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMTschaar View Post
I have a 2000 CC Magna Indulgence and am in the process of upgrading all of the electronics. In regard to the rear camera, I was able to connect the existing cable going from the factory installed camera to the in-dash Panasonic head unit and connect it to a separate 9-inch monitor I purchased from Tadi Bros (9-Inch LCD Monitor for any Backup Camera) with no problems.
In my case I had to replace both the monitor and the camera so the cable was not compatible. That sure would have been nice if it were useable. My original 1990 system was also pretty ancient by technology standards.
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #5

If you read my Pioneer woes post earlier I had a similar problem. I installed a new stereo and the existing cable worked fine. I still had a problem of not being able to see my trailer hitch with the existing camera. I installed a second camera to the license plate and hooked it to the video feed of the new stereo and now I have 2 views. Hooking up a 30ft trailer with a 40ft coach is now a 1 man job
Bill Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #6

I had the same problem and looked all over. Intec did one last run of the CVC111 camera a couple of years ago and when I purchased mine he said they only had a few left on the shelf. It is a simple plug and play but the power is from a did different pin in the connector. I sent him a picture oh my connector and they moved the pin to the correct spot before sending to me. The cost of the camera and housing was $50.00.

Email from Lou

Mike

As I suspected, your camera is powered on the old power pin. The new
camera should you buy one will have to be reconfigured. Mention that to
the sales person if you decide to order and a note will be added to the
sales order.

Thank you

Lou Guigli
Engineering Tech

INTEC Video Systems, Inc.
23301 Vista Grande
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
P: (949) 859-3800 Ext. #4015
F: (949) 859-3178

lguigli@intecvideo.com
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #7

Thanks for all the help! I hope to find a monitor that will be compatible with my existing camera. I got some great ideas, I'll post results when I get it fixed.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera