Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Chassis battery

Hi everyone,

I had posted a few weeks ago about an inverter problem. Well after a few suggestions on the other post I checked the batteries and they were dead and gone. I run a few dealership service departments so Interstate kindly replaced the chassi battery for me that was only showing 300 CCA vs. the 1400 it should have and now have the house batteries out and doing a slow 2amp charge and are comming back to life slowly. My question is given the extreme winter cold up here in upstate NY I was told I should run my generator atleast once a month. Does anyone know if I can install just the chassis battery and run the generator and leave the house batterys in my shops charging and warm until I get ready to actually take a trip with the RV in late March.

Thanks as always =_)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #2

Kind of a Catch 22. You want to run the generator for at least 45 mins, with a medium to high load on it. The risk you have is if the charger kicks in, and you have wires that might spark due to contact with items. So if you do this, be sure you have the Inverter/Charger off. Same thing with running the coach engine, with the 160AMP, be sure the cables are safely protected.

Hope the house batteries come back for you. Might want to fun a full desulphation cycle on them, and then set them to trickle charge as needed.

Best,
Smitty

Old 01-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

I am not sure which battery starts the generator, it could be the house. Anyway, running the generator will not charge your chassis battery. It is charged via a Echo charger which gets fed from the fully charged house batteries
Old 01-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

I wasn't looking to charge the batterys, I was just under the impression that I should run the generator monthly for the sake of the generator. When you mentioned shutting off the inverter were you refering to the actual switch on the inverter itself?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:35 PM   #5

Batteries appear to be coming back slowly. Put them on a 2 amp charge per Interstates recommendations.

Thank you gentlemen as always for the helpful advice. =_)
Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 PM   #6

The Inverter/Charger is what I was referring to. Turning it off on the actual unit itself, is the full proof way to be sure no open hot lines cause any problems. I mentioned the charger, as you may have it programmed to come on automatically when power is detected.

Best,
Smitty
Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Personally, I'd wait until everything is back in place as it should be. The generator will be fine if it sits an extra month or two.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Ok.....So now I'm the idiot that took out the batteries and didn't take any pics of the configuration before I removed them. The leads for the chassis battery are simple. Its the sensor from the Xantex inverter and the lead on the left side of the compartment from what appears to be a circuit panel that have me baffled. Any suggestions?
Old 01-12-2015, 09:48 PM   #9

it's always helpful if you can tell us what year and model of cc you have. someone might have the same unit and be able to take a photo to post here for your reference.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:23 AM   #10

I've attemted to attach a few pics with the wires in question. I have a 2004 Allure Astoria 40. The house batteris are 2 8D-AGM's.

Thanks in advance for any help =_)

Click image for larger version

Name:	xantrax sensor.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	83229

Name:	battery bay.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	83230

Name:	extra lead wire.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	83231
Old 01-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #11

Don't know if you've figured this out yet or not. I have a 2004 Allure Pendleton, #30997, 36', and just added solar and changed out batteries and new inverter.

Your top photo is the temperature sensor that attaches to the side of the battery (double back tape) and the other end attaches to the inverter (plugs in).

Don't see an arrow in middle photo.

Bottom photo, short red, attaches to positive side of starter battery.

Also, from observation, while batteries are out and inverter off, I would remove all grounds to the post in the back of the photo, clean the wires and the post off, then reattach the wires to a clean post, then lubricate. Clean your battery cables also and lube where appropriate (starter battery). I don't lube the AGMs and haven't had any problems.

Hopes this helps. :-)
Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generator usually runs on house batteries, FULLY CHARGED they are good to -40 give or take a bit, (Been there a few times).

If you can run 120 to a 3-stage charger or to a battery tender to maintain the batteries.

If not, Well, your standard half hour a month under half load MAY be enough to keep the batteries happy. Or you can up it to an hour. Just check the batteries like 1 or 2 hours later.

If you are worried about parasitic loads, Lift the NEGATIVE wires off the batteries when not in use.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
your standard half hour a month under half load MAY be enough to keep the batteries happy. Or you can up it to an hour...
fyi - i talked to a powertech tech line yesterday about the charge rate of cd8000 genny. he told me it charges battery at 6a rate. that was a surprise to me as I was expecting somewhere 60-160a. 'nope' he was very positive on that. with that rate, if one has 4 golf cart batts, half hour may not be enough
Old 01-30-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Update: First off "Thank you" for all the great advice. I removed all 3 batters and the chassis battery was a goner. Interstate replaced it for me even though it was 18 months old and the warranty was only good for 6 months. Running a few large car dealerships has it perks
As for the 2 AGM 8-D's I bought a new digital battery charger from MAC tools and put each of them on a very slow 2amp charge for 11 days each and they both came back 100%. I decided while the batteries were out of the coach I would attempt to clean up the cables and the compartment....BAD IDEA! I sprayed some cleaner all over the cables and surrounding areas and it all FROZE on contact . So I went ahead and just reinstalled everything and glued the Xantrex Inverter temp sensor to the side of one of the house batteries with some industrial strength adhesive. Everything came back on and works like a champ. However at this ppoint even in storage I am not unplugging the coach till I intend to use it March. Hopefully when I get to Orlando all the cleaner in the battery compart will melt

On another not I implemented a warranty from Wholesale warranties on the coach and they come out this past Saturday to do a test drive and inspection. All went well till the test drive when we both noticed a very high pitched noise as I was driving. Stopped after about 200 yards and noticed a large tire mark following the coach. One of the tag axle wheels was frozen up but after backing up a few feet in un froze. Gotta love a NY winter.

Tags
battery, chassis