Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #15

Dtwallace,
Just providing info on what the CC manual says on this, and simple step to test your u-bolts. I know that this is rare, but it only takes one time for it to happen to have serious consequences.

I guess being retired Air Force reading manuals, and safety, are second nature for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #16

Both of these 5/8 inch diameter U-bolts on my right front snapped when I hit a dip in a Louisiana highway

Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
My suspension collapsed on itself last week. Some 1/2 in U-bolts broke. I've been told they shouldn't break.

This happened as I was pulling out of a parking lot. If this had happened on the freeway while I was doing 60mph I might not be here.

Cost of the new parts was around $120 but the labor was just over $1000 for 10 hrs of work.

Coach-net sent a very good mobile diesel mechanic who worked his ass off in the heat until 10:30pm to fix the rig.

If you need a good mobile mechanic in the San Fernando CA area, give Juan a call at A-1 Mobile Diesel Mechanic at 818 926-3068 Not sure how far they will travel, but you can ask...
X2 on checking your suspension!

In the winter of 2014 both of the 5/8 inch diameter U-bolts on my right front suspension snapped when I it a dip in a Louisiana highway.... but it wasn't discovered until after I had returned to Wisconsin.... (over 4,000 miles later).

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #18

So was that a Gillig chassis or Dynomax? Assuming the former...
Old 07-12-2016, 11:21 AM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
In my experience, Ubolts tend to stretch over time. So the trick is to wd40 the threads and re-torque. They break when they get stretched and the begin to move back and forth, finally breaking. Movement causes heat and causes the metal to temper/harden, thus snap. I've had one snap on me but it was an axle under spring so I didn't have the problem that you had. On several occasions when I was re-installing old ubolts they have snapped when I torqued them down so had to replace them.
Adding a lube to any bolt that is supposed to be torqued dry and then using the dry torque setting will be over torqued. You need to reduce the torque settings by about 20% (might be more or less depending on the lube) to allow for the affects of the lube. There are charts out on the internet that show the study results.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #20

It is a Gillig Chassis.

Yes Juan did all the work 😜 in 105 deg heat 😩

Good info! Hope everyone learns something here!!

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
Old 07-13-2016, 01:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Dtwallace,
Just providing info on what the CC manual says on this, and simple step to test your u-bolts. I know that this is rare, but it only takes one time for it to happen to have serious consequences.

I guess being retired Air Force reading manuals, and safety, are second nature for me.
Yes Sir,

And as always, your input is very important having more experience with this same coach as the OP.

I can generalize my perception of the issue at hand, and try to help, but it takes a collective effort from all here.

The value of your background is duly noted and appreciated.

If I projected a comment that would lead you to believe otherwise,
I offer my sincere apology.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
In my experience, Ubolts tend to stretch over time. So the trick is to wd40 the threads and re-torque. They break when they get stretched and the begin to move back and forth, finally breaking. Movement causes heat and causes the metal to temper/harden, thus snap. I've had one snap on me but it was an axle under spring so I didn't have the problem that you had. On several occasions when I was re-installing old ubolts they have snapped when I torqued them down so had to replace them.
lonfuthe
Old U-bolts should NEVER be re-used.
Re-torquing the U-bolt nuts is OK ... but they should NEVER be be loosened and re-torqued.

Because U-bolt threads are rolled, (not cut), the threads are distorted when torqued.
If the nuts are removed from rolled threads and then re-used, (or if the nuts are loosened and re-tightened), that tread distortion will prevent an accurate/correct torque reading.

See: https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/reinstalling-ubolts/

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-14-2016, 07:49 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
lonfuthe
Old U-bolts should NEVER be re-used.
Re-torquing the U-bolt nuts is OK ... but they should NEVER be be loosened and re-torqued.

Because U-bolt threads are rolled, (not cut), the threads are distorted when torqued.
If the nuts are removed from rolled threads and then re-used, (or if the nuts are loosened and re-tightened), that tread distortion will prevent an accurate/correct torque reading.

See: https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/reinstalling-ubolts/

Mel
'96 Safari
whoops, guess I screwed up, I've had to pull them many times (at least 6) because the stupid GM spring squeak. After having the leaf springs rebuilt and ubolts replaced by a top spring shop the problem still wasn't solved. I began experimenting with different solutions. Of course I found that the simplest was the one that works the best and the longest. Slip a piece of radiator hose over the end of every other leaf using just a pry bar to get them apart with the axle in the air. Spray ubolt threads with machine oil, let sit for a while, retorque springs with out removing. To date, I've never noticed more than a 5 to 10 lb difference when retorquing. Should there be more than that I would suspect they are strecthing then I would replace the ubolts.

I have found through experience that factory ubolts are not all that well made, so I have them made at a spring shop. The metal seems to be better. The current one that were made at the Springworks in Santa Rosa, CA have been on there now for just over 100k miles.

When I replaced the ones on my old 72 Winnie/dodge chassis with factory I found that they kept loosening up, stretching, when I retorqued them. Finally had to replace them with spring shop units. The problem went away. When I watched the spring shop make the ubolts, they took the steel stock, cut it to length, then cut the threads with a giant die and bent it. Perhaps that is why spring shop ubolts don't seem to be subject to stretching as much as factory units. factory units have rolled threads spring shop have cut threads.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #24

UncleBilly I'm glad you are ok!

I Have a Question How was you experience with the mechanic " JOSE"
you used? I ask because he is doing some work on mine I'm also having him check my coach suspension
He is doing it at where I store in Santa Clarita
Thanks in advance
Raj
Old 07-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvasir View Post
UncleBilly I'm glad you are ok!

I Have a Question How was you experience with the mechanic " JOSE"
you used? I ask because he is doing some work on mine I'm also having him check my coach suspension
He is doing it at where I store in Santa Clarita
Thanks in advance
Raj

It's Juan or Joe if he's working with white guys 😜 I have no complaints. Guy worked his ass off for 10 hours in the heat, till almost 11pm. Seemed like an honest guy to me. I'm in SCV and hope to get out of this heat in a few days. Heading to Arrowhead 😜👍🏻

Old 07-18-2016, 10:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
It's Juan or Joe if he's working with white guys 😜 I have no complaints. Guy worked his ass off for 10 hours in the heat, till almost 11pm. Seemed like an honest guy to me. I'm in SCV and hope to get out of this heat in a few days. Heading to Arrowhead 😜👍🏻

Unclejoe,

I did use this mechanic juan They did a great job, Changed my oil & filters
also changed the coolant & thermostat, adjusted my brakes, checked my suspension,
adjusted my ride height.
It has been very hot in SCV... Ill be heading out next month to Pismo Beach,
I might go to KOA Acton end of this month something local.
I'm glad there's another Country Coach in SCV. Where do you store it?
Raj
Old 07-20-2016, 05:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajvasir View Post
Unclejoe,

I did use this mechanic juan They did a great job, Changed my oil & filters
also changed the coolant & thermostat, adjusted my brakes, checked my suspension,
adjusted my ride height.
It has been very hot in SCV... Ill be heading out next month to Pismo Beach,
I might go to KOA Acton end of this month something local.
I'm glad there's another Country Coach in SCV. Where do you store it?
Raj

Raj,

When I stored the RV in town I used a place across the railroad tracks near Saugus Cafe. On Springbrook, it was only $75 month. Dirt lot, but it worked and the manager was a cool older lady.

Tags
suspension