Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Clear-coat Failure - Need Guidance

Hoping you can tell from the photo that my clearcoat is flaking off. It is 20yrs old, so I guess this happens. It's on both sides of the rig. I know the best thing too do would be too have the entire rig redone, but that would be around $5000 or more 😖 It may end up being what needs too be done...

I've got two questions...

1. What should I ask the shop too ensure they are doing the job correctly? What steps should be taken, what type of materials should they use, etc...

2. What shops do you recommend I have this done? I'd prefer shops in Western US...

I appreciate the help...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1455991067.013922.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	119460

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
That whole side will need to sanded down to the color- perhaps even the color will need to re-painted also.
If you can have the entire Coach done for 5K- you need to get in line fast.
Remember the cheaper the price usually means cheaper the work..
There are several specialized MH painters mentioned on here.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #3

Have found that 303 UV protector stops the clear coat damage if used once a year. Easy to use and can be pick up at CW.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Is this the type of problem that people use Mop&Glo on for an economical fix???

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #5

Clear-coat Failure - Need Guidance

Nothing stops clear coat deterioration over long periods of UV = Sun.
Not 303 - Mop n Glow or Zep Floor wax.[ATTACH]119468[/ATTACH
Recleared this old baby 4 yrs ago

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1456002301.927115.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	119468  
Old 02-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I have battled this problem for 5 years.

Your clear coat was applied over gelcoat on the white sections of my rig. There was no base coat (color coat) for it to adhere to, yet it lasted for 16 years.

I tried to reapply the clear coat myself and actually have learned a bit about spray painting. So I tried Zep Wet Look.

Soon, I will have the white part of my rig covered solely with Zep as the final solution except for the front cap.

Here is a picture that shows bare gelcoat, clear coat, and Zep applied on my rig:

1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #7

Dean ,
With all Due respect are you kidding me ? You do know that's a temporary solution don't You ? Zep is a Fad that will cause more damage to your MH than you can imagine. It will crack and peel just like it does on kitchen Floors which it was made for ! Just try to remove it !
Old 02-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a company you can check out, they appear to do good work. Perhaps others out there can weigh in who have had their coach painted there?

Best of luck on your coach,
W.D.

Precision Painting
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

uncle Billy - I had Country Coach redo my clear coat up high on the walls and the roof. The roof radius area of mine were flaking. That cost $2,300 and they did an great job. I would recommend you plan a trip to that area and have them do it. I got a couple of other quotes and they were more than CC.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 PM   #10

Ugggg... A few weeks ago, I noticed after a big rain, there was a big sag with water caught between the gel Coat and the clear coat, I quickly broke the clear coat so the water would escape and not continue down the entire wall. From what I understand, just like when the sun beats down on your roof and you get the white powder that runs down the walls, the same thing is happening behind our clear coat. The sun is deteriorating the gel coat causing the clear coat to release. It does not happen to places that are painted because the paint protects the gel coat from breaking down so no effects from the sun. We would need to prime and paint over the gel coat to make the clear coat last, especially if your coach is stored out in the sun. Covering the coach will slow the process dramatically.

I expect I will be recoating the old girl at some point, but hey, I am still money ahead.

By the way, this is information I received from a rv paint shop who looked at it for me, if it is not completely correct don't kill the messenger.
"Mrs. CC. Magna" 36' 1993 Country Coach, Magna, 300hp Cummins, 5 speed Alison trans, #5016
127,000 miles and counting...
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Dean ,
With all Due respect are you kidding me ? You do know that's a temporary solution don't You ? Zep is a Fad that will cause more damage to your MH than you can imagine. It will crack and peel just like it does on kitchen Floors which it was made for ! Just try to remove it !
Isn't everything we do to these coaches a temperature fix? I expect yours is going to start peeling AGAIN, just as mine has after a fresh recoat and a few years of sun.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobioknight View Post
Isn't everything we do to these coaches a temperature fix? I expect yours is going to start peeling AGAIN, just as mine has after a fresh recoat and a few years of sun.
Your sooo right ! All Fresh paint and looking Good. then the roads dings on the front end and a scratch here and there.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Dean ,

Perhaps. I have used it now for 4 years on my rear cap parked in the Sacramento 100 degree sun. It gets refreshed one coat per year and still is fine.

I have successfully removed the Zep using the $10 per gallon Zep remover and also using Ammonia.

New Clear Coat/Base Coat just on 1/2 of my rig will cost about $5,000 to $10,000 with no guarantee of longevity.

My 21 year old rig is worth about $15k according to NADA. The parts might be worth even more! The paint costs will likely not be recovered at sale because my rig does not have a slide out.

Zep costs about $25 (I am still on my first gallon). It is applied with about 30 minutes of actual labor, not including drying time. But does require reapplication every year.

I am sorry your experience with Zep ended badly, and I will remain in proper fear of the future, but probably do not have much to lose in my situation....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote