Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Dean,
I tried the Zep wet look, and it looks pretty good. I'll try it on the rest of the peeled clearcoat this week. Just don't see spending $12,000+ at CC for a new clear coat when they offered me $25k in trade for the coach!
That is the way I am progressing. Unfortunately not all the clear coat on gel coat peels with the razor blade, so sanding is in my future. Lots of it.

Then there is the issue of clear coat peeling on base coat. I have had some short term success applying base coat and then clear coat but that work is only one year old.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #16

Just completed the roof with the Zep on our old rig, Did the back of the coach two years ago and it still looks great, Roof looks Awesome!!!
Went ahead and recoated the back while I was at it , I love this stuff, Friend of mine is doing his whole rig and says it is wonderful
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:46 AM   #17

Zep

Do you have to sand the finish before applying the Zep Wet Look
01jordyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #18

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Had to do this so it would post.
"Some years ago, there was a guy looking to start a class action suit against CC because they advertised "full body paint" when in fact all they did was put clear over the gel coat. CC said that they considered clear as "paint". I don't know whatever happened, possibly the fella settled with CC"

I knew that fellow and when he arrived at the hearing, he had one lawyer, the other side had half a dozen lawyers so he threw in the towel and just gave up!

Ray
Old 07-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yes you can sand the clear off without removing the paint. Can't really tell what is painted and what isn't by the picture. Cost in the US will be between $3-5K to get it done. I had mine done in Mexico for $600 a few years ago.
Where is Mexico did you have it done and how were the results?
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #20

Update on Zep on my 20 year old CC.

Have completed two years+ on parts of my Gel Coat formerly covered by Clear Coat using Zep Wet Look Floor Finish.

I am still pleased with the result because on the sides of the rig the old clear coat just peels off. In another year all of the white areas will have Zep applied except the roof edges, molding, brow and nose.

Zep only works for me if the gel coat acts as a good color coat.

Where fiberglass shows through I have applied primer, basecoat, and clear coat as the fix. That is primarily on the roof curves and the molding strips. The brow was redone in 2003 by a paint shop and still looks good.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01jordyn View Post
Do you have to sand the finish before applying the Zep Wet Look
This may help https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/25818736.cfm
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post
Where is Mexico did you have it done and how were the results?

I had it done in Puerto Penasco 3 years ago and it still looks new. The clear was sanded off, then a coat of paint to match and then the clear applied. If I remember, the job was about $800 because I had some dents taken out of the Jeep hood and painted as well
Old 07-30-2017, 02:09 PM   #23

Zep and clear coat peeling update

This weekend I bought Zep Wet Look from Home Depot and began covering spots that had peeling clear coat. I am amazed at the results of about 4 coats of Zep. It isn't replacing the clear coat but it sure is covering up the oxidation occurring as the clear coat peels. I have had this coach about 4 months and did not realize the peeling problem initially because it was high up on the back cap. I only have one big spot up high and a small one of the side left.

I didn't sand or scrape with any object other than my fingernail and microfiber cloth. From 10 feet away you can't see the spots of peeling. As the rest of it peels it will get "Zep"
2000 CC Magna #5840 2017 Chevrolet Equinox
Air Force One braking
Griffin379 is offline   Reply With Quote