Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #1

Clicking instrument panel ??????

Hi
I have a 92 CC on a gillig chassis

anyone know what the clicking noise might be in the main instrument panel above the dash ?
it randomly starts clicking for now apparent reason?

My generator sometimes shuts off out of the blue as well but i cant say the two are related
other than that everything works well , except the previous owner removed the voice activation feature.

thanks
CCMagna1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Does the clicking noise occur when the generator is running?

Does the noise occur when the rig is parked?

Does the noise occur only when engine is running?

Did the PO remove the voice box board or just disconnect the feature?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

You might have a bad relay. Crawl around down there and try and narrow down where it's coming from. The dash of an rv is a lot of real estate.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #4

the noise occurs pretty much whenever house power is on, weather the engine is running or not, not quite sure if it does it when the generator is running but I think so. I believe the PO removed the voice activation feature

thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

My guess is something may be alarming and the Relay was part of the voice

May need to pull covers and listen, maybe touch to determine which Relay is clicking then determine what the Relay does then determine action
Old 01-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

On my rig there are several PC Boards in the overhead console. The voice box PCB is behind the left most panel near a speaker. In that panel are also the generator switches and hour gauge.

The hour gauge clicks with each 10th of a minute the generator runs but is not very noticeable.

If the PO just disconnected the voice box wire from the speaker, then the system relays may be triggering to start the automatic analysis and review but never completes the cycle. The system will try to warn the operator of several error conditions as outlined in your manual.

If one item produces an error, a repeating announcement will be made.

Each announcement will probably trigger a relay.

Remove the panel and look to see if any wires are dangling loose. Get the number of that wire and look it up in the electrical schematics section of your coach manual. You should see what it runs from and to.

Reconnect the wire and see if that solves your problems or introduces new problems.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #7

it definitely sounds like its coming from the main panel, the one with all the tank gauges.
I'll have to pull it off and give a listen

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #8

Does the clicking happen if the fresh water pump switch is off?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

Ok, I 've had some time to pay attention to when the clicking happens and
all I can seem to tell is that it happens with the house battery in the on position
and the water pump on or off. when it clicks the panel full, half empty gauge lights up simultaneously with the clicking...... ??? still a mystery
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #10

The battery switch is probably a non factor except for providing the juice to power up the circuit boards.

I am assuming the clicking is happening behind the panel that the tank level monitor is sited on.

I also assume that when using the propane level or other tank level switches all your level lights are operational as appropriate.

The only switched feature that I am aware of that lights up the tank level during a its operation is the Automatic Water Fill toggle switch and its pc board.

a. Is your water fill switch toggled to on? If so the tank level panel lights will light up and the system is looking for shore water to fill the onboard tank. Try toggling it once to see if that stops the clicking. This switch will only turn off automatically when the water tank reaches the full level.

b. If the clicking continues, remove the panel to see if you can confirm the clicking is on a specific pc board. If it is, you may be able to identify which relay is clicking.

c. Replacing the relay is not expensive but does require de-soldering the old relay and then soldering a new relay into place. Of course if the relay is not the problem but just a symptom then you will need to find what source signal is triggering the relay.