Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
CO detector replacement

I'm replacing my CO detector on an 04 Allure 36'. Mine is flush mounted in slide-out ceiling over dining table; CCI Controls model 3400.0 ; the ceiling insert portion is 2 1/4" X 5 3/4". Everything I'm reading says CCI out of business and replacement is MTI Industries model 65-542 (Safe T Alert) with insert measurement of 5 1/2" X 3". In order to get a 3" wide opening, I would have to cut 3/4" ply ceiling with wires attached to the top and screwed down with no access to get the wires out of the way.

What are others doing when replacing a CO detector? Are there other models available that would fit my opening of 2 1/4 X 5 3/4" that others have found?

Thx joe
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 PM   #2

Have you looked on eBay? I found the CCI 3400 listed there
Old 02-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #3

Don, thanks for that. If it's the one I located on e-bay, I'm a little leary as it has a mfg date of 2006 and I was reading these have a shelf life of 10 years. I would think that people have changed these out and was wondering what they did if they can't locate one with the same insert size as the one that came out. I'll give it a few days and see what happens or check with some of the CC folks next week. I may have to cover the hole with a piece of panelling and do a surface mount since it's out of the way and not very noticeable.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:52 AM   #4

Call CC maybe they can help.Country Coach Parts - OEM Parts from the Country Coach Factory | Country Coach Corporation
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I just got a nice combo smoke/CO detector from First Alert and mounted it in hallway.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

Joe,

Recently replaced ours with a Safe-T-Alert 35-742-BL. Fit without any modifications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sate-T-Alert.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	86245  
Old 02-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Carbon Monoxide Detector

Joe,
I saved the info in this attachment so that I could replace my CCI unit when needed for the same reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Carbon Monoxide Alarm001.gif
Views:	455
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	86246

If this individual can help let us know.

John
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

The problem with CO alarms is you may not know it has failed until it's to late. They are supposed to be replaced 5 years after date of manufacture. The internal CO sensor is the problem. It just wears out.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

Same as smiranger. Bought combo smoke-CO alarm from Home Depot and mounted in galley area on face of cabinet.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies.

Barney, your original must have been different from mine as the 35-742 is larger than my opening, both in width and length. I haven't looked into the combination detectors as my understanding is that the LP should be mounted close to the floor and the CO should be chest to head high.

John, I may send that guy an e-mail and see if it's cost effective to rebuild one of these. I'll let you know what I find out.

I also was going to look at the smoke/CO alarms but I think the current code calls for them to be hard wired rather than battery operated.

I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My CO monitor just died. I went to replace it. I found a great combo unit (CO and smoke detector) at SAMS. Took it home and followed quick install sheet, Put in same place as last one but needed to drill 3 new holes. THEN I read the owners manual and found they are only for residential and MOBILE homes, not RV approved.
Seems they are very temperamental to temperature and humidity. Residential units have a lower temp limit of 40F and upper of 115F. Also, where they are installed is a big factor--not near showers, outside walls etc.
I took it back, went to COSTCO, found another there and this time went on line before I left the store with it and sure enough, not recommended for RV.
There are units made for RV's--they have lower temp limits below 0 degrees and upper limits to 150F.
I am breaking down and ordering one on line. I check with my insurance company and they said not using an RV approved detector in an RV would make the insurance not liable for a claim.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #12

I replaced our CCI unit and shut off solenoid valve with the SafeTAlert unit.

Safe-T-Alert 70-742-R-Kit CO and LP Alarm, Solenoid Valve, BLACK - Carbon Monoxide Detectors - Amazon.com

I did so, because it appeared that I needed one that would shut off the propane supply when the alarm sounded or power was turned off as the CCI unit would.

I do not know if one of their units without the replacement solenoid would work in our application. The instructions on the one above were to replace the old CCI propane solenoid valve with theirs at installation.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #13

We replaced the one above the dining table with a unit provided by Kevin Waite. Because we do use a Heat Buddy for heat while Boon Docking, we take CO levels very seriously (as I'm sure everyone else does too), so we also added a second combo Smoke/CO detector in the bedroom too.

Best to all, be safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreyja View Post
Joe,
I saved the info in this attachment so that I could replace my CCI unit when needed for the same reason.

Attachment 86246

If this individual can help let us know.

John
John, I sent Larry an e-mail and he answered right away and said he worked on propane detectors but has never worked on CO detectors. He would be happy to look at it to see if he could do any good with it and the price would be $100. I opted not to go this route and instead bought a Safe-T-Alert 65-542 flush mount even though I had to cut the opening larger to install. My original was mounted in the bottom of the short, upper cabinet above the dining room table. I had to take the bottom out of the cabinet to gain access to move wires out of the way and cut the opening bigger. It took a couple of hours but I got the new one installed and it looks like it belongs there. :-)

Tags
replace, replacement