Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Coach wash/detail Oregon options

Do any of my fellow CC owners who have traveled in Oregon more than us know of folks in the Redmond, Eugene, or even in JC that will do a good hand coach wash, including washing the roof?

We are in Coeur d'Alene now and the only fellow the RV park will let in will wash the coach but will not do the roof. My roof needs a good cleaning. I may do it myself if we get in a park that allows owners to wash their own rigs but, since we will be spending couple of weeks in Redmond, Eugene, JC, thought I might find someone there to do a good job.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Do any of my fellow CC owners who have traveled in Oregon more than us know of folks in the Redmond, Eugene, or even in JC that will do a good hand coach wash, including washing the roof?
We had Premier in Junction City do it 2 years ago. The cost was $155 for labor. They applied the Country Coach-recommended 303 Aerospace Protectorant to the roof which we supplied. Before the shouts about the high cost ring out, I considered it a bargain. I've applied the 303 Aerospace Protectorant to the roof myself and was happy to have Premier do it for the above mentioned price to avoid doing it again. Especially considering that they washed the coach in the process.

BTW; the 303 Aerospace Protectorant works like a charm in keeping those vertical white streaks that start at the roof line and run down the sides of the coach. On the subject of price, the 303 stuff is expensive. I paid $56.79 in July, 2014 for one gallon.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post
We had Premier in Junction City do it 2 years ago. The cost was $155 for labor. They applied the Country Coach-recommended 303 Aerospace Protectorant to the roof which we supplied. Before the shouts about the high cost ring out, I considered it a bargain. I've applied the 303 Aerospace Protectorant to the roof myself and was happy to have Premier do it for the above mentioned price to avoid doing it again. Especially considering that they washed the coach in the process.

BTW; the 303 Aerospace Protectorant works like a charm in keeping those vertical white streaks that start at the roof line and run down the sides of the coach. On the subject of price, the 303 stuff is expensive. I paid $56.79 in July, 2014 for one gallon.

FWIW
Not a bad price at all for what you had done. I did have the mobile detail guy wash the coach. He was only willing to pressure wash the roof..... would not use bucket or brush on it. He did a nice job on the coach and charged only $2 per foot. He said the roof looked clean when he was done. I am going to check it today. I need to get a gallon of 303 for the roof.

How did Premier apply the 303? Did they stand up and mop it on with some sort of applicator? I have an extra Swobbit head so that might be a good choice for that.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
How did Premier apply the 303? Did they stand up and mop it on with some sort of applicator? I have an extra Swobbit head so that might be a good choice for that.
Two dollars a foot to wash the coach is a great deal. Good job.

I did not watch Premier do it so I don't know their process. The way I did it was to use a spray bottle to spray a 2'X2' section, lightly wipe up the excess, then use a dry cloth to completely dry the surface. Kind of like waxing. I used the first cloth repeatedly and kept the second cloth dry by swapping it out when it started to get damp with the product.

I just had it done by a local mobile detail fellow and he did it like I did except that he used an orbital buffer for the second (dry) wipe/buff. We did the rooftop heat pump covers and skylight/fan covers too.

Now that I've got it done three years running, am going to skip next year to see if it continues to block the oxidation that causes those white streaks down the sides of the coach. The streaking was never bad but it was starting to become noticeable. Sitting in the sun for three months out of the year definitely promotes oxidation. We're lucky to have it in a building the other nine months.

Am hoping to get to a once-every-other-year routine.

I'm learning the importance of roof maintenance. A local acquaintance has a 2009 Magna that developed a roof leak. Water got into one of the layers between the headliner and roof. It caused the egg-carton-like material of that layer to swell and leave permanent, noticeable bulges in the headliner. $10K over and above the roof leak repair, if he chooses to get it fixed.

Our model year did not use that construction method and I don't know when it started.

Good luck. Hope you're as pleased with the result as I have been.

Best,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #5

OK Gary - We'll be in Oregon sometime late September to mid October.

For you, as a distinguished member of the CC Brotherhood, I will was, wax and 303 your roof for you. I'll even include all materials too. I only ask for a nominal fee to keep my wife busy while I'm working on your coach. She does like to shop, and hit wineries too - so I figure $500 a foot should just about cover the damage that fine lady can do in a single days shopping. (Oh, and if you wanted to toss a simple snack in between the wash and wax. Maybe some Silver Oak, Gouda Cheese, and crackers. And those small little fish eggs that come in the can from Russia would go well with this. You know, nothing fancy, as "I don't want to impose ...".)

=====

Just a tip before applying any sort of roof protecting. Besides the power wash, I'd still recommend going over it with a bucket of water and Dawn dish washing soap. Dawn has alkaline, and that will cut any residual grease and grime on the roof, leaving a great base to apply whatever you want to put on. I've used both Aerospace 303 for this task, and Zaino's ZCS too. Both are great products. As I try to avoid being on my roof when it is wet or damp, I also used to apply a coat of Nano Wax (Eagles American One, or now Meguiar's also has a Nano Wax spray too.) first. It's a simple wipe on, wipe off, with no waiting in between, process. I'd still use either the 303 or ZCS, as they provide added UV protectant.

Same recommendation at least once a year on the full body paint washing. Dawn to cut the residual wax and any grime, then Nano Wax (So easy to apply, and my real world tests showed they lasted just as long, and were easier to touch up in between major wash and waxing.)

Clearcoat needs to be clean, and I'll use the skin term have open 'pores', for any kind of wax to really sort of fuse on in.

I say used to, as my roof now has Buskote, for both added cooling, sure a bit of insulation (Don't laugh, it's part of the advertisement on these roof coatings, and it's true - even at such a low amount of added insulation!). And white streak is no longer and issue. I now just wash the roof, and maybe twice now I've hit with a medium brush too. But that's just me, most people just wash with water to knock of dirt.

Don't get me wrong, any wax, and any roof protectant like 303, is better then doing nothing. But at least once a year, having the Dawn alkaline cleaning, really gives you a good base for the wax or roof protectant to adhere to - and it sets you up for the rest of the year.

But you know, opinions will vary on this. Heck, some people like Turtle Wax. Others like Mother's. And a few, have even been know to use Protect All... What a world we live in!

Now, you better get into the Smitty Free Wash/Wax/Roof Protection schedule soon - as my schedule is filling up. Once you sign the contract, I'll give you my preferred years for Silver Oak....

Best to you, and all!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OK Gary - We'll be in Oregon sometime late September to mid October.

For you, as a distinguished member of the CC Brotherhood, I will was, wax and 303 your roof for you. I'll even include all materials too. I only ask for a nominal fee to keep my wife busy while I'm working on your coach. She does like to shop, and hit wineries too - so I figure $500 a foot should just about cover the damage that fine lady can do in a single days shopping. (Oh, and if you wanted to toss a simple snack in between the wash and wax. Maybe some Silver Oak, Gouda Cheese, and crackers. And those small little fish eggs that come in the can from Russia would go well with this. You know, nothing fancy, as "I don't want to impose ...".)

=====

Just a tip before applying any sort of roof protecting. Besides the power wash, I'd still recommend going over it with a bucket of water and Dawn dish washing soap. Dawn has alkaline, and that will cut any residual grease and grime on the roof, leaving a great base to apply whatever you want to put on. I've used both Aerospace 303 for this task, and Zaino's ZCS too. Both are great products. As I try to avoid being on my roof when it is wet or damp, I also used to apply a coat of Nano Wax (Eagles American One, or now Meguiar's also has a Nano Wax spray too.) first. It's a simple wipe on, wipe off, with no waiting in between, process. I'd still use either the 303 or ZCS, as they provide added UV protectant.

Same recommendation at least once a year on the full body paint washing. Dawn to cut the residual wax and any grime, then Nano Wax (So easy to apply, and my real world tests showed they lasted just as long, and were easier to touch up in between major wash and waxing.)

Clearcoat needs to be clean, and I'll use the skin term have open 'pores', for any kind of wax to really sort of fuse on in.

I say used to, as my roof now has Buskote, for both added cooling, sure a bit of insulation (Don't laugh, it's part of the advertisement on these roof coatings, and it's true - even at such a low amount of added insulation!). And white streak is no longer and issue. I now just wash the roof, and maybe twice now I've hit with a medium brush too. But that's just me, most people just wash with water to knock of dirt.

Don't get me wrong, any wax, and any roof protectant like 303, is better then doing nothing. But at least once a year, having the Dawn alkaline cleaning, really gives you a good base for the wax or roof protectant to adhere to - and it sets you up for the rest of the year.

But you know, opinions will vary on this. Heck, some people like Turtle Wax. Others like Mother's. And a few, have even been know to use Protect All... What a world we live in!

Now, you better get into the Smitty Free Wash/Wax/Roof Protection schedule soon - as my schedule is filling up. Once you sign the contract, I'll give you my preferred years for Silver Oak....

Best to you, and all!
Smitty
Well I know you do good work but you don't work cheap .

When I have washed the roof myself (this is first year I have not been able to get it done), I used Turtle Wax Zip Wash and Wax. It does a great job. Last year I put four coats of Zep high traffic floor finish on the roof and it looked really great. That held up for a year.

I've read about Bus Kote and would certainly like to be able to just wash the roof a couple of times per year. Do you know if there is anyone in the Eugene, Cobug, JC area who will apply that? Our appointment at CC is Sept. 26 and we expect to be there 2, maybe 3 days. However, we will be a Premier RV Resort in Coburg for the entire week before our appointment. If I could find someone who can prep the roof and apply Bus Kote while we are there, that would be something I would consider doing.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
My 07 KSDP is in the local shop, getting the bad clear coat on the top cap redone. (We've owned the rig about 1 1/2 years, guess the top wasn't taken care of......we had to replace the roof last winter)

I went by Friday afternoon to see if it was finished. I asked the owner about wax. He said most definitely, it makes a real difference in the UV damage.

Ask him what to us. He chuckled, and said well, they are only a few companies left. He said there are many, many brand names on the cans, but only a few manufactures. He said he recommends , Mothers.

This shop is now operated by the third generation grandson, his dad hangs around some. Employees about 12-15 employees. And I counted about 7 street rods in all stages of work with beautiful paint in the shop. Cars from 4 states. And too many trophies in the lobby to count. Some of those beautiful cars make me think about changing hobbies:-)