Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Comments on a 36' inspire with a C9??

It's a 2005 with70K miles and I just don't know anything about the C9 400HP CAT. Is it a variant of the C7 (that had a few problems) or is it as good as a Cummins 400?

Do I look for radiator and wet PTO R&Rs?

Anything about this model to check out specifically?

Thanks, all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #2

40 views is encouraging, but why haven't we had any responses...good, bad, or ugly?

I'm trying to learn and would sure like to hear from the collective wisdom.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #3

I had the c9 in my inspire and felt it was a good engine. I have never heard any negative comment's. I get better fuel economy by a couple of tenths out of the Cummins but there would also be other considerations. I don't believe it has anything to do with the c7.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:23 PM   #4

Good to hear, and thanks.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #5

Another note . We had a 40ft 05 inspire and I was happy with the way it got around. Mountain passes could be taken easily and as fast as I wanted to go. I imagine it would be really spunky in an even lighter coach. As far as the inspire I really liked that coach. It seems the shorter rigs are getting more popular so if you like it you might not want to dally around. It may not last long. Look at tires, radiator, windows and pto.
Rod
Old 07-19-2015, 08:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Another note . We had a 40ft 05 inspire and I was happy with the way it got around. Mountain passes could be taken easily and as fast as I wanted to go. I imagine it would be really spunky in an even lighter coach. As far as the inspire I really liked that coach. It seems the shorter rigs are getting more popular so if you like it you might not want to dally around. It may not last long. Look at tires, radiator, windows and pto.
Rod
Agreed. I've placed a $1000 hold on the coach for 24 hours until the salesperson can get answers to the PTO and radiator questions.

PTO is pretty easy to tell. What is the easy way to tell about the bad radiator?

Nice to know that tires/batteries are said to be new, so that's good. The big deal seems to be the radiator question, so any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

The original radiators that have been a problem are aluminum and usually have bolt on headers. there are a lot out there that haven't leaked. I think it may be more related to how they were mounted. The updated radiators would be copper core with steel tanks. Its a 3 to 5 k repair unless you can do the work yourself then its just a matter of getting a new rad. Radiator supply house stocks them in Oregon. The pto ,If not updated, could just be re-lubed annually as an option to the wet upgrade but I would still favor the wet kit. Check the tire date codes
Old 07-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
The original radiators that have been a problem are aluminum and usually have bolt on headers. there are a lot out there that haven't leaked. I think it may be more related to how they were mounted. The updated radiators would be copper core with steel tanks. Its a 3 to 5 k repair unless you can do the work yourself then its just a matter of getting a new rad. Radiator supply house stocks them in Oregon. The pto ,If not updated, could just be re-lubed annually as an option to the wet upgrade but I would still favor the wet kit. Check the tire date codes

Would the simplest test be to touch a magnet to any part of the radiator (especially the tanks) and if the magnet doesn't stick to anything, we can expect that the radiator is aluminum?

I read a few good write-ups about the PTO, so that part I'm comfortable with.

Tires are brand new and batteries a few years old, so that's a good thing.

Any other comments good or bad about the C9 CAT?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #9

C9's of that era should serve you well. Less smog stuff, and at 70K - it's broken in and should have had any early problems sorted out (if any). I would pull an oil sample for analysis. (Catch22 on that, as sometimes dealers do full PDI's before putting the coach on the lot. So a fresh oil change makes oil analysis problematic.).

If the coach has service receipt history, having them scanned/copied/fax and sent to you so you can review - would be great.

Agree that the C9 in that size coach should give you great power to weight ratio's - not as much as a Pocket Rocket as some of the 36' coaches that had the ISM in them, but should give you ample power reserves.

If the coach checks out good, and no red lights on the review of service history - you should enjoy this coach. Budget some contingency funds, maybe some catch-up maintenance funds. If at a reputable dealer, negotiate any work you want done at dealer's shop rate discount. (Our coach was bought 5 years ago now, shop rate was $130, I negotiated up to 100 hours at actual shop rate of $75.) Maybe have hoses, belts, changed out on a negotiated discount. If PTO is not done, yep, negotiate that into the mix. I personally would not worry about a 2005 radiator with 70K miles on the coach. Get it serviced and over to a Final Charge type coolant, if no records of this being done, but then drive it and maintain the radiator. If it starts to fail, it's usually a gradual failure, so you should not be stranded on the road somewhere.

Best of luck to you, hope it works out to be 'the one',
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #10

According to those who know, there is not anything wrong with an aluminum radiator per se. Country Coach got a batch of bad radiators in those days, but if the one you are looking at has 70k miles, I wouldn't worry about the radiator. Once (or if) you start seeing signs of a leak, you can plan on a replacement. We have an older Cat--10-liter 3176b, and it just keeps on ticking. 168,000 miles so far, and in the last roughly 5,000 miles, no oil use. And you know what they are saying: " If it ain't a Cat, it's a dog!"
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #11

05 Inspire

Rick,
I have a 2005 CC Inspire 36' Siena.
Basically it's a very solid coach.
The Cat C-9 engine has more than ample power for this coach.
All the advise you have been given on this forum is good solid information.
I have not had any engine issues. Use only Cat oil and fuel filters. Change the oil at least annually. The engine has a Heui fuel supply pump that doesn't tolerate dirty oil very well.
How are the windows? If they are fogged they will need to be resealed. That will run you about $250 per window unless you DIY them.
I have done much in upgrades and improvements to my coach that I would be happy to share with you if you purchase this coach.
If it has the original Norcold refrigerator in it you might want to consider a change out or upgrade as this refrigerator has been known to be problematic and a possible fire hazard.
Good luck,
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:24 PM   #12

As stated use only Cat Advanced Efficiency filters Oil filter 1R-1808 and
1R-0751 Advanced Efficiency Fuel Filters
Don't go over 5000mi on an oil change. Some like 10w30 oil I am running 15w40 and I may change to a 10w30 after the next change. If you can pull oil samples, I send mine in the Peterson Cat at a cost of $13.50 each
I have had all of my windows resealed by Dave Root and ditched the Norcold frig and installed the Magnum 2812 inverter
Don't let it idle, bump up the rpm with the cruise control
We like ours but it is a 40' I wanted a 36' but the wife said, whats 4'
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #13

I went down to Ft. Myers Friday and saw the coach today. How the dealer's statements got me to drive 700 miles baffles the mind (but small wonder why he almost insisted that I didn't need to see the coach to buy it because his guys were THAT good prepping for sale)....which is why I thought I better go in person and cancel the PPI guy

Both roof A/C units as well as dash A/C blew warm, refer got down to 59 degrees (freezer 18), genset wouldn't stay running longer than a few minutes (284 hours, and gauge showed 1/2 tank of fuel) Many other things that no self-respecting owner would have kept secret. Mgr knocked another $5 off the price, but that doesn't cut it if just for the A/C units and refer.

Question for you guys though. Driver's side Rear BR slide had two cracks in the fiberglass that ran from the bottom corner of the window downward almost to the edge of the slide. Cracks about 10" long.

Is this common? Is it fixable?
Old 07-25-2015, 11:19 PM   #14

One of the guys in our club NWCC has an 05, 36' with the same problem. He said they have to pull the slide to fix BIG BUCKS. Keep on walking.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote