Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Complete loss of power Cat C13

Help! On our trip up to Washington from California, we noticed the coach being sluggish going up the grades towing the GMC pickup, but chalked it up to the GMC being much bigger than our previous Ford Edge. However, on our way back through Oregon, it became exceedingly sluggish on hills, slowing down to 10mph before we finally pulled off in the middle of nowhere (I think it was Rice Hill). We called OMC and they sent us to a local shop where an amazingly kind and helpful mechanic looked at it. While both fuel filters had some sediment in them, she didn't think it was enough for such a loss of power. She McGyvered it enough for us to make it the 50 miles north to OMC (with the dingy disconnected), but it was blowing puffs of smoke and we couldn't accelerate, even on the flat areas. We're here at OMC and they'll take a look at it in the morning, but does anyone have any ideas what we're looking at?

While following DH up to OMC I kept thinking about that Tom Hanks movie "Money Pit" . . .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #2

John & Cathy

You might get a better response to your question over on the CAT forum.
I have been following your trials and tribulations with your coach since you had the water damage etc. You must be verging on paying for the coach twice by now. So sorry it's turning into the money pit, although they all are really. It's just a matter of degrees.
Luck,
Bob

Bigbluedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

I would check the air filter condition, fuel filters, and then disconnect the chassis battery negative cable for a computer reset.

On my rig, I would make sure the exhaust brake butterfly was opening.

After those steps, I would be out of ideas.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
laj

How is the smoothness of the engine?
Depending on this could open a while new set of causes
Old 04-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #5

Bob Vinson & OMC saved the day AGAIN. It turned out to be the fuel filter and the water separator (?) next to it. We are driving as I type and the coach is performing great. Whew. Thanks for all advice.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
laj

They have done a great job for me in the passed. Yours should use a cat 1r-0749 secondary and a R-90 P racor water separator I would get a spare set and carry with you just in case you get somewhere and can't get them
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
They have done a great job for me in the passed. Yours should use a cat 1r-0749 secondary and a R-90 P racor water separator I would get a spare set and carry with you just in case you get somewhere and can't get them
ABSOLUTELY. We'll add that to the growing collection of "don't-leave-home-without's" . . . the serpentine belt, and probably unnecessary but "neurals" (sp?) that make your windshield wiper blades work. We lost our wipers on our first trip to OMC in the POURING rain after a 7 hour drive with 2 more hours to go. Such drama in our poor coach!! I'm afraid to travel further than a few hundred miles from OMC at this point!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #8

Sounds like the toasted turbo I had on my C12 last summer.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #9

Whoops I see you got the problem solved and was bad filters. Your symptoms did sound like mine when our turbo blew in Cortez CO last summer.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Whoops I see you got the problem solved and was bad filters. Your symptoms did sound like mine when our turbo blew in Cortez CO last summer.
That is what they thought it might be but thankfully it wasn't. We've settled on the name of "Lucy" for our coach . . . it was treated like a red-haired step child prior to our purchase, there is an endless supply of mysteries that need "splainen" and you never know what will happen next!
Old 04-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #11

John and Cathy - We have had our "Lucy" (Treated like a red haired step child or worse) for about 2 1/2 years. We have not officially named her yet. Almost all the stuff that has gone wrong with our coach is due to poor treatment from PO. And just plain not getting right things that did not work correctly by PO. I cannot categorize the turbo for sure but likely hot shut downs by PO.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
laj

Oh no Bob! Haven't you read on here that you don't have to warm or cool down anymore...... bs
The po of mine had the turbo replaced at 15000 mi. Either the shop got to him or it was shut off without proper cooling. A turbo should run atleast 200000 mi
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Oh no Bob! Haven't you read on here that you don't have to warm or cool down anymore...... bs
The po of mine had the turbo replaced at 15000 mi. Either the shop got to him or it was shut off without proper cooling. A turbo should run atleast 200000 mi
I can't count the number of times that I've heard our Coach Whisperer look at the coach and tell me that "shouldn't happen." If it shouldn't, it just might on ours!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #14

When my turbo went out last summer the bearings froze. The coach had about 95000 miles on it at that time. Normally, I would say that full power too soon or not running a little while after a hot run are the main killers of turbo bearings. So I am going to keep on waiting a couple minutes before going on the freeway and letting her idle a couple before shutting her down. Hopefully the current turbo will last as long as I keep the motor home.

John - in my case almost all the stuff that has gone wrong with our coach in the last 2 1/2 years were things that should have happened. Almost all of it attributable to the poor care my baby got from the rich mechanical retard that did not take care of her before me.

Tags
cat, power