Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Condensation?

We traveled in very wet weather to visit family over TG. Rained for two days. First night in coach, we had much condensation on inside of WS when we opened the curtains in AM. That was a reminder to run one of the vent fans on low all the time so subsequent nights, we did not have that issue.

However, every AM we had water dripping at center of WS onto the dash. Water appeared to be coming from the front cap area, dripping between the glass and rubber seal at the top. It was not raining but outside temps were well below freezing every night.

When I did some work behind the front TV, I noticed residential fiberglass insulation behind TV in front cap. However, I am thinking the water was due to condensation forming on inside of the cap then dripping down inside of the WS.

Has anyone else had that issue? I am pondering installing a small muffin fan in the panel next to TV enclosure to circulate some air in that space.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #2

I'm not sure what year your coach is but we have a 2002 and have had problems with dripping during big rains. If you have a split windshield I found that pushing out on the gasket near the top center will re seat the gasket and the problem goes away, till you go down the road again. Also while getting some work done at Oregon Motor Coach, I found out that at one point during the assembly process they were suppose to install a foam cylinder (swimming noodle) that would provide that pressure and alleviate that problem. Apparently it was not done on a number of coaches.
Good Luck hope this helps.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
I'm not sure what year your coach is but we have a 2002 and have had problems with dripping during big rains. If you have a split windshield I found that pushing out on the gasket near the top center will re seat the gasket and the problem goes away, till you go down the road again. Also while getting some work done at Oregon Motor Coach, I found out that at one point during the assembly process they were suppose to install a foam cylinder (swimming noodle) that would provide that pressure and alleviate that problem. Apparently it was not done on a number of coaches.
Good Luck hope this helps.
'07 with one piece windshield. This water was dripping down well after rain had ended (2 days later) so I am thinking it must be condensation forming on the inside of the fiberglass cap above the windshield.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

As you are probably aware, water drips end points, may not be the starting/source point. Could be condensation from anywhere towards the front. Could also be a loose front AC with water getting in under the gasket. Or front cap marker lights. Or, or ,or!

The positive pressure leak detector test can sometimes help, but not always.

You migtht try leaving front cabinets open for a night or two, and see if that adds to or stops the drops?

Pumper9X9 - Thanks for the info on the split windshield leak, and pushing in on it from the inside. We had a very small leak in heavy wind driven rain that we could not pin point. Dropping onto the dash, usually just to the right of center. Checked and resealed light markers, and all things on the front 1/3 of them roof, still leaked. So had the positive air pressure leak test run, and nothing. Speculate the very slight outward pressure may have been enough to seal the upper gasket on the windshield. So, will try the firm pushing when setting up camp with rain in the forecast.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #5

Windshield is only held in with a special caulk, the rubber gasket is inside to cushion the windshield.
I had mine replaced, cracked. I have never had a leak, even in pouring rain. I would check the caulk around the windshield. Like said before A/C bolts and seam on front cap. Good luck
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
The urethane caulk around the windshield was in great shape and I could detect no breaks or faults. We drove the coach 180 miles in a driving rain and had no water intrusion. The dripping on the dash occurred 2 days after the rain stopped and after having a lot of condensation on the inside of the WS. After opening a roof vent and running a fan on its lowest speed, we had no more condensation on the glass. I plan to inspect the marker lights as soon as I can.

At this point, I plan to drill a hole in one of the panels in an overhead compartment and install a quiet muffin fan that I can run when we are using the coach in cold weather.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #7

We have only been in near freezing temps so may be why no condensation, good luck.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a similar problem. After going crazy trying to find leak. My son was visiting us and took a look at our problem. He went on roof and found the problem. It was the marker lights gasket that was the problem. Replaced, no more problem,............

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year