Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Confirmed our CC decision

We've spent the past 4 days between both of the very large Tom Johnson RV locations in North Carolina. Getting some service done in Concord and spending a couple of 'free camping' days at their larger facility in Marion, NC.

Killing some time I've looked at many, many new and used Class A's, many very top line coaches. American Heritage, Eagle, Tradition; Entegra Aspire and Anthem, all the Newmars, and others. TJ's has a huge inventory of both new and used DP's.

My first observation is how many of the late model new and used rigs off all makes use darker colors (mostly black) as the primary color. There were some exceptions but the majority are this way. Every one of them, even the brand new coaches, are badly streaked. There were a line of high dollar AC's; a 2015 Heritage, three 2014 Eagles and several Traditions that had white/grayish streaks all over them. I spoke to one of the guys who was washing the coaches and he admitted that in recent years with the popularity of black and other dark colors, he was always washing the coaches on display to remove the constant streaking from the roof.

My point is that it seems CC used lighter colors similar to mine. My coach was recently driven in the rain and looks nearly as good as the new coaches I saw with the dark colors. In fact, two of the better presenting used coaches on the lots were a Magna and two Intrigues, older than my coach.

My other observation was the general appearance and condition of most of the used high end coaches I looked in. I saw nothing nicer at any price than our 7 year old gently used Allure. I am biased, for sure, but both me and the DW really felt our decision to jump on this particular rig when we did was a good move.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2014, 02:30 PM   #2

I agree, as CC was on our list when shopping a short time back, as was TS and Monoco. Although we are very happy with our TS, sadly we did end up with some black on our coach which we would rather not have had.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

This roof problem is one I killed in 2012. Had the roof painted with a flexible paint by my paint shop. Now no more marking. Also I give the coach a good wax polish with a high quality wax twice a year which means nothing sticks in any serious way. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just stick with plan A and keep my stunning Allure, 37ft with unusual for the length (now)Tag axle, and a real eye turner.
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallylillian View Post
This roof problem is one I killed in 2012. Had the roof painted with a flexible paint by my paint shop. Now no more marking. Also I give the coach a good wax polish with a high quality wax twice a year which means nothing sticks in any serious way. Thanks for the heads up, I'll just stick with plan A and keep my stunning Allure, 37ft with unusual for the length (now)Tag axle, and a real eye turner.
Did you use Bus Kote? I've read good things about that. I keep 303 Protectant on the roof and plan to have it waxed/polished soon in Myrtle Beach. You can get great deals on coach washing and waxing there.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #5

I used regular exterior house paint on the horizontal parts of the roof 3 years ago, and it has held up well. A cheap, but effective fix!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #6

smlranger, did you see the blue and white Intrigue in Concord? If that thing had three slides, I'd be all over it. The wife and I were there back in February looking and we took that one for a spin. We both loved the layout but I just got to have that extra space in the living area for me, DW, daughter & her dog. We liked the Allegro Bus too but my mind can't get away from CC. Still looking for that perfect coach, lol.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Did you use Bus Kote? I've read good things about that. I keep 303 Protectant on the roof and plan to have it waxed/polished soon in Myrtle Beach. You can get great deals on coach washing and waxing there.
No Bus Kote, not available over here. My paintshop spoke with Sikkens and they recomended one of their paints, it has to be flexible as the roof flexes when I am up there. The finish is high gloss, which I thought would be an issue, but I go up in my deck shoes and its fine, just concentrate a bit more!!! If you are interested I will ask my painter what the spec was.
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
May be a reason they are a lot of New/Used black rigs on the dealers lots.
No one wants them. Sure wouldn't be on my list of colors to buy and sit in it out in the summer sun.

Probably many of the complaints on forums that the AC won't keep up. Come from the dark color owners.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

Newmar has come up with a solution. On their Mountainaire and up $$ they have developed a rain gutter system. Behind the awning housings on both sides they have developed a gutter that channels the moisture to a drain tube. No more streaks (so they say) on the sides.