Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Confirming Radiator Upgrade

Is it possible to confirm that an original aluminum radiator prone to failure in 2005 - 2007 (+/-) CC coaches was upgraded to the copper tube/steel radiator by using a magnet or another method?

The owner of the 2006 Siskiyou Summit I am working with remembers the original owner saying it was done, but how can I be sure?
StuartT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #2

I could be wrong but the aluminum cored radiators I have seen had bolt on tanks. My inspire had an updated copper core with steel tanks soldered on. If the machine has soldered tanks I would assume its been updated. That's not to say the unit your looking at has not been updated. As a side note my inspire had the radiator updated when I purchased and a few years later it developed a small leak so I removed and took it to a shop and they found the tanks hadn't been soldered completely so in the end I think it just comes down to luck. I think if I found a rig that met all my needs and was maintained well I would not pass up on the radiator alone. Hope this helps.
Rod
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I could be wrong but the aluminum cored radiators I have seen had bolt on tanks. My inspire had an updated copper core with steel tanks soldered on. If the machine has soldered tanks I would assume its been updated. That's not to say the unit your looking at has not been updated. As a side note my inspire had the radiator updated when I purchased and a few years later it developed a small leak so I removed and took it to a shop and they found the tanks hadn't been soldered completely so in the end I think it just comes down to luck. I think if I found a rig that met all my needs and was maintained well I would not pass up on the radiator alone. Hope this helps.
Rod
That does help, and thanks. Unfortunately it looks like I will be passing for another reason. I obtained the engine serial number this afternoon and it falls in the range of Cummins ISL's affected by the wristpin recall C-0713. I want no part of that risk, especially when part of the fix was to detune the engine to remove some of the loading on the pins/connecting rods. Too bad, I really liked that coach.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartT View Post
I want no part of that risk, especially when part of the fix was to detune the engine to remove some of the loading on the pins/connecting rods. Too bad, I really liked that coach.
Where did you find that info? I've never seen it mentioned before.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Where did you find that info? I've never seen it mentioned before.
Here is the pertinent part of the note I sent to the owner.

It was a voluntary recall, not under the NTSB, so that Cummins could control their exposure. It was known as the C-0713 wristpin campaign and affected ISL engines manufactured from December, 2005 to April, 2006 with serial numbers 46543077 to 46603939. Approximately 2159 engines were included in the recall. Connecting rods for that batch of engines were manufactured with defective machining for the wristpins, and when they let go, the results were catastrophic.

The fix for emergency, police, etc. vehicles was a new replacement engine. For general consumers, they replaced the valve cover with one containing a pressure sensor. That sensor was wired to the ECM. The ECM was then wired to a red warning light on the dash. Light comes on, pull over…..FAST! Lastly, the ECM was “recalibrated”. Read that as “detuned”. I’m sure the idea was to take some load off the wristpins.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or, it's also possible that they added programming to the ECM to stop the engine if the alarm is triggered. and nothing more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Or, it's also possible that they added programming to the ECM to stop the engine if the alarm is triggered. and nothing more.
Instructions from Cummins called for drivers to immediately, when safe, pull off the road and shut down the engine. They wouldn't risk the potential litigation from killing an engine on a busy freeway at the first sign of a crankcase pressure change.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #8

Keep looking and don't settle. There are some great rigs out there and the more you learn the happier you will be. I was patient and got the exact specs I was looking for.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Keep looking and don't settle. There are some great rigs out there and the more you learn the happier you will be. I was patient and got the exact specs I was looking for.
That is a beautiful Magna you have. I wish!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
That is a beautiful Magna you have. I wish!
Stuart, can't tell you exactly how to determine if a radiator has been upgraded since the replacements might come from a variety of sources. I can tell you that you can call CC with a coach serial # and they can tell you if it shipped with one of the affected/suspect radiators. They recently told me it was mid 2007 before they changed vendors and started using better radiators. My coach was made in early '07 and has one of the suspect units. So far, no issues.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Stuart, can't tell you exactly how to determine if a radiator has been upgraded since the replacements might come from a variety of sources. I can tell you that you can call CC with a coach serial # and they can tell you if it shipped with one of the affected/suspect radiators. They recently told me it was mid 2007 before they changed vendors and started using better radiators. My coach was made in early '07 and has one of the suspect units. So far, no issues.
Thanks for the feedback, but see post #3 above. Deal looks dead due to involvement in a Cummins recall campaign.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:06 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, but see post #3 above. Deal lLooks dead due to involvement in a Cummins recall campaign.
I saw that. Don't blame you. My ISL was after that fiasco, fortunately.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #13

How much is a new radiator?
Old 12-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
How much is a new radiator?
Depends on where you buy it. Anywhere from $2K to $4K.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator, upgrade