Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #1

Considering 2006 CC Allure 430 Quad slide over Newmar

Hello,
We are currently Newmar owners (2004 Dutch Star for the last 10 years and it has been very good to us) but have been looking to upgrade to a better layout and better handling coach. We have not been able to find the right layout requirements with Newmar in the budget and year ranges we are considering. Didn’t think I would stray from Newmar but we may.
We are considering a 2006 CC Allure 430 Quad slide. Layout is exactly what we want and we also know CCs were well built coaches. We’ve reviewed a bunch of pictures and spoke to the owner, price meets the budget at this point in our lives (we are not full time), and now need to decide to make the long trek to go see it/inspect it.
This coach has been well maintained based on discussion and our understanding. Current owner has had for a significant amount of time. Has done some upgrades inside. Radiator has been changed and the 400 Cummins is outside the S/N range of the wrist pin recall.
Besides this are there specific things to look for on a CC when purchasing? We know the Newmar product inside and out and we understand most of the inside systems/controls well and what to test (except Hydronic Heat). We have owned 3 coaches so far.
Is there any support out there for Country Coach as we are so used to having Newmar customer service available? I know the factory in Oregon and CC IP were purchased by Winnebago but I would be interested to know if there are any issues getting any parts that may be specific to these coaches? Any other items anyone wants to point out who owns or has owned would be welcome - good, bad or ugly.
Thanks in advance.
Racing4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #2

The only thing I can think of right now, has It had the wet pto installed.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 07 Allure quad slide 470. CC's are sturdily built. If the coach has been well maintained and is priced reasonably, I don't think you can do much better in that class of coach.

As far as support, parts, etc. Winnebago/CC still takes care of CC owners. Winnebago hired most of the former CC employees and they are there to provide support. You can get technical assistance and buy parts from them. Gregg Bootes is an excellent source. You can get 'factory' service at either Junction City, OR or at the Winnebago factory in Forest City, IA. There are other good independent shops who know our coaches well in various places....Junction City, Eugene, some in Arizona, one near me in Virginia, Florida. The house stuff is not that unique so shops who are competent to work on most any brand can do most stuff.

A great source for CC owners is a fellow named Kevin Waite. Kevin owns K&M Mobile RV Repair in Junction City, OR. He is a former CC builder. He not only has his own repair business but he offers tech support for an annual fee. You can call, text or email him any time and he will quickly respond. He will walk you thru repairs or work with a tech you have working on your coach. He is also an excellent source for parts for our rigs. I subscribe to his service and it has saved me more than what I pay per year (not having to pay others to diagnose and repair).
Old 03-09-2018, 06:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
The only thing I can think of right now, has It had the wet pto installed.
2 stroker
Confirmed it has dry PTO. Owner unbolts once a year and packs with new grease.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMount10 View Post
Confirmed it has dry PTO. Owner unbolts once a year and packs with new grease.
That is what I do as well; my PTO is still the dry style and the splines are not worn. Once a year I repack with good quality grease.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:15 AM   #6

My husband will call owner today and discuss. And it will need to be something we look at closely. Thx.

If there’s anything else someone would add that we should check out let me know. Otherwise seems like pretty standard checklist compared to other MHs we’ve owned.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered two DSDP's and were very happy with them. Were considering ordering another one when I found the present '09 Magna. The CC is much better built and handles well. Problem was, the late DW didn't really like it and would have preferred the new 2015 DSDP 4375 we looked at ONE HOUR after signimg the paperwork on the Magna (this was in 2015 when we bought the Magna).
But the Magna has been a really expensive rig to keep going. I figure I've spent over $35,000 in three years. Part of that was an engine rebuild on the ISX which breaks valves off and won't be a problem with an Allure.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #8

I would add the following, CC did not put primer (under the sealant) or enough on the slides so some people are having to reseal the slides on the ends to prevent water leaks. The video below explains it the best. I would at least look for what they show in the video. Premier RV and Oregon Motor coach are both great places for service on CC with past CC employees working there. They are both in Oregon

Old 03-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #9

Thanks if we go out to see it. Will check. Will ask owner about as well. Unfortunately Oregon is about as far away as it gets for us - on the other coast! But good to know they’re there.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #10

You can show the video to any RV repair shop that you trust, the video is very detailed in all the products they use and how. Always open all the cabinets and look at the roof line to make sure there is no water spotting.

Enjoy the coach they drive like a dream
Old 03-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #11

First thing: there is no Country Coach factory. There is the Winnie factory that claims to service Country Coach however I have never been there. There are numerous companies that are made up of ex CC employees and they are super knowledgeable. Plus, they know where to find parts which is a big plus. Not that you will need parts but just in case they are available.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #12

Thank you.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #13

Regarding support from Winnebago; I have called the Junction City location; which was the CC factory. I have been able to purchase unobtainable parts like the entry door hinge and the over the road AC compressor. As stated earlier; several CC employees there like Greg Booth who know all the details of the coaches that were made there. Ours is a 2000 and I have gotten questions answered regarding operational issues we were having.

Newmar might have better records and original build information because they never went out of business; but aside from that the CC folks now working for Winnebago are quite helpful.
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #14

[QUOTE=Ssgritton;4076945]I would add the following, CC did not put primer (under the sealant) or enough on the slides so some people are having to reseal the slides on the ends to prevent water leaks. The video below explains it the best. I would at least look for what they show in the video. Premier RV and Oregon Motor coach are both great places for service on CC with past CC employees working there. They are both in Oregon

Although there are many former CC employees working in various independent shops, you might want to confirm their experience level.
While we were at Oregon Motor Coach, it was obvious after I watched the tech working under the coach that he had minimal experience or was just semi-competent. I asked him if he was puzzled by what he saw. He told me that when he worked at CC, he was on the production side, not the maintenance side, which explained the problems some of which we still have to this day. (leveling valve incorrectly plumbed, wired and set up) We paid over $1,100 at OMC to learn this lesson.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote