Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #1

Considering an Allure... advice?

I'm considering purchasing a used (2002 to 2006 or so) Allure, and am wavering between the Sunset 37 and the 40' models. This will be a FT coach for my husband and myself, and we travel seasonally for work. Three months on the road of solid travel, and then weekend to 10-day trips at other times during the year.

Advice? Experiences?

Anything I should know when I look at used models?

What about CC's precarious financial state? (Since these used coaches will be out of warranty anyways, I'd be needing a third-party one, I'm thinking...)

TIA!
Marcia
Turbo Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #2

We have an '06 Allure (40') and love it. For fultiming I would go for the 40'. Unless you are always in a warm climate I woudl strongly suggest the Hydrohot (aka Aquahot) which uses diesel vs propane for heating and hot water. Also, if it were us we would look for all tile in the front that is heated...ours is only tile/heated in the bath and galley.

Other than the normal things to look for in any used DP, check the radiator. Some had aluminum rads that woudl eventually develop leaks (ours did) and need replacement. BTW, this was true of a number of other manufcaturers as well.

If you are not comfortable with or have experience with a diesel then it is definitely worth your while to pay a great tech to go over the coach with a fine tooth comb.

The other important item is to have all of the manuals. CC did a great job in their manuals with regard to wiring et al and it makes troubleshooting much easier than most other brands if you have the books.

Ref financial state, you would be out of warranty anyway so the only items that are CC unique are the frame (very heavy steel) and the fiberglass skin. Personally, it wouldn't concern me but I would use it as a negotiating point. If I were looking today CC would be at the top of my list..BTW, we have over 30,000 mi on the coach so have a little bit of seat time.

There is also an owner's group on Yahoo; keep in mind that most of what you will read are problems as in any owners group so don't get scared by it. But it is a great place to ask questions and even ask if anyone's selling.
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #3

more time needs more space

We have been looking for a very long time at coaches to buy. In the DPs we have driven it makes little difference from the drivers seat if it is 37, 40, or 42 foot. Sure you have to be a little more careful of the rear wheels clipping a curb when you turn but that is something that comes pretty quick. IMHO 37 is too short to spend much time in. We initially started saying we wanted a short coach, about 36'. But the price for used 36' and 40' is pretty close. And there seems to be no downside to getting a longer one. We in the end have chosen a 42' because we thought there was a big benefit to putting the closets and drawers at the back wall. The benefit is that it makes the bedroom a lot bigger. So now on our new coach we have to rooms you can actually live in. Meaning on long trips my wife can be in the front and I can use the computer in the back. Many shorter coaches are tight in the bedroom even with 3-4 slides. We chose to go with 42' and only two slides. And yet there is plenty of room. Seems like more than some 40 foot CCs with 3-4 slides. We like only having two slides. We specifically did not want a front passenger side slide because it makes the outside patio awning area more difficult to use. And we like the access you get to the basement from the side with no slides.

As far as CC going chap 7. It is something to think about. But many of the good coaches are made by now deceased companies. For example Bluebird and Alpine. Country Coach was so universally liked and recommended by almost everyone I would guess something will happen to have them come partially back. The thing about the RV industry is it is not the Auto industry. The RV industry is mostly assembly operations. So you can bring one back from the dead. Car companies have many many unique parts. Once they are dead they are usually dead. But keep in mind, that Packard went broke many decades ago. Their old cars now sell for very high prices. My guess is that when the RV industry really gets back on it's feet that some form of Country Coach will return. But that will have to be seen.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

Go with a tag axle coach

I would strongly recommend a coach with a tag axle. They will drive nicer (starighter tracking and smoother ride). In addition they will have plenty of cargo capacity for fulltiming. Another advantage to a tag is turn radius: with the tag lifted the wheel base is slightly shorter and will make for tighter turning.

The downside is cost and maintenance: more cost up front and two more wheels, brakes, airbags etc. to have to maintain.
JohnFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #5

We really like our 2008 Sunset Bay Allure.
littlebaler1 is offline   Reply With Quote