Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #1

Control of trailer brakes.

Is anyone aware if there is a built in brake control circuit on Country Coach units. ? Mine is different, it's a Concept with a Gillig chassis . The wiring diagram shows a brake wire and a ground at the 7 way plug. I have been using this connection on my Featherlite trailer for over 2 years, however, now wonder if I really had "brakes at all" all this time. My Coach is 45 ft and wt is 45,000 plus, so I never really could tell if there were active braking or not. The owners manual is not clear , only shows the plug connection. There is no " controller" on the dash as in other vehicle set ups. There is a small panel under the dash edge that's says " Remco" it has an on and off switch plus a red and green light. The red light is live when the Coach is running if I turn on the switch...not sure what it is for? Again, sounds stupid ,all this time and I can't answer my own problem, Also, there is an air connection next to the seven way male plug ,well call me dumb I guess?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I don't think you have trailer brakes, since you have no controller. The controller, most controllers, have a g sensing mechanism that applies brakes differently depending on whether you're going uphill(soft brakes) s. downhill (hard brakes). Most controllers allwo you to apply the trailer brakes by hand, especially usefull if he trailer bregins to sway.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

7 pin connector at rear of coach means you are wired for trailer connection (trailer lights, turn/stop lights, trailer battery charge & trailer brakes) BUT you need a 'brake controller' connected at other end in order for trailer brakes to work --- trailer lights work w/o controller.

Should be a 'plug' under dash to connect brake controller and may need to install a fuse to feed brakes.

Remco toggle....sounds like a power switch for possibly a 'lube pump' that was required for toad vehicle previous owner used.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
7 pin connector at rear of coach means you are wired for trailer connection (trailer lights, turn/stop lights, trailer battery charge & trailer brakes) BUT you need a 'brake controller' connected at other end in order for trailer brakes to work --- trailer lights work w/o controller.

Should be a 'plug' under dash to connect brake controller and may need to install a fuse to feed brakes.

Remco toggle....sounds like a power switch for possibly a 'lube pump' that was required for toad vehicle previous owner used.
thanks for the reply,.....Its kinda interesting that the previous owner pulled a car on all fours , yet did not include a brake controller . Thinking about it , I guess when you install a package brake device internally in the towed vehicle, there would be no need for a brake controller, as long as he never pulled a trailer.? The oil pump idea sounds right .I thought maybe I had brake control built in, there is sure a lot of electronics at the rear right upper side near engine where the seven way plug comes in.I guess thats the part I have trouble understanding. A while back I had a part from that replaced as it was effecting left turn signals on Jeep.I should have got into that discussion with the RV repair place.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I don't think you have trailer brakes, since you have no controller. The controller, most controllers, have a g sensing mechanism that applies brakes differently depending on whether you're going uphill(soft brakes) s. downhill (hard brakes). Most controllers allwo you to apply the trailer brakes by hand, especially usefull if he trailer bregins to sway.

I understand that, have had many brake controllers over the years, on many vehicles. Some , like Ford, were a nightmare to hook up ! always wondered why, with all the electronics out there, that a controller could be part of the system from the Factory....
Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I understand that, have had many brake controllers over the years, on many vehicles. Some , like Ford, were a nightmare to hook up ! always wondered why, with all the electronics out there, that a controller could be part of the system from the Factory....
Have took a closer look at the Owners manual. ...and , no wires provided for a brake controller . Also no extra wire for charging. CC does provide a color code for the seven way plug. I guess I will use the wireless controller. Now, my Chassis is a Gillig , so may be different than coaches that use Dinamax chassis. I am waiting on a reply from CC on this, and if there could be any wires I can use, I, so far can't find any under dash. The manual is very specific , no wires, and further they state brakes are not needed on a trailer. I have a wiring drawing that shows the colors for all the lighting, no brake info other than providing a space on the 7 way plug
Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #7

Check with gillig as well.

Some parts are builder add and others are chassis supplied.

Trailer brake controller for electric brakes on an air braked vehicle may have something provided by chassis builder.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Check with gillig as well.

Some parts are builder add and others are chassis supplied.

Trailer brake controller for electric brakes on an air braked vehicle may have something provided by chassis builder.
Just heard from CC , they confirmed, no brake control wiring. , not untill 2006 model years. There are 2 wires imbedded in master loom but no good way to find them, so , I ordered a Prodigy wireless controler, hope it works.

Tags
brake, brakes