Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Coolant change?

I'm getting ready to flush and replace my coolant on my Allure 04 Cummins 370 ISL.
What is everyone using I'm thinking Fleetguard but there are so many options. Or maybe just take it to a Cummins service center and have it done.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsbarkin View Post
I'm getting ready to flush and replace my coolant on my Allure 04 Cummins 370 ISL.
What is everyone using I'm thinking Fleetguard but there are so many options. Or maybe just take it to a Cummins service center and have it done.

If you're ok with keeping up with SCA levels the Fleetguard ES Complete EG is an excellent coolant. If you want to go with an OAT type extended life & get away from SCA testing then Fleetguard has one of those also. If you go with OAT, just make sure you know the drill for doing a complete clean and flush.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I recently had a complete drain, flush and refill at my Cummins Coach Care shop. I elected to go with OAT coolant. They used Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT. If you use Final Charge OAT you can always find that at truck stops.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsbarkin View Post
Just went through all that, its a real challenge choosing the right product. It is too a challenge to get all the existing coolant out of the system. Having a place to dispose of the old stuff.
Here is what I did, I lost the majority of mine due to a leaking hose, found the hose and repaired. (Long story). I then ran dironized water in the system for several hundred miles (could only get 16 gals in). On my 07 there is no SVA filter. End of story I drained the engine and radiator, (did not pull the bottom hose). I used mobile concentrate with sca recommended by a huge truck shop and they had it by the case..,mixes with Amy type coolant. If you drain every 3 yes or so you do not need to be concerned about the sca, if not just have the sca checked when servicing the engine.
Or you may have my luck and loose it all., don't hurt quiet as much.
Over on yahoo CC site under files (coolant) is a paper from Cummins you might be interested in reading.
Good luck
Marvin
Old 07-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #5

Sorry about the typing. My fingers are too big.
BTW. IF you do it yourself avoid the 50-50 mixes unless you use the same type you have now. if you drain and flush you will not be able to get enough coolant back into the system with the 50-50 mix. JMHO
Old 07-29-2014, 07:42 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
if you drain it, why can't you get the 50/50 in
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Just went through all that, its a real challenge choosing the right product. It is too a challenge to get all the existing coolant out of the system. Having a place to dispose of the old stuff.
Here is what I did, I lost the majority of mine due to a leaking hose, found the hose and repaired. (Long story). I then ran dironized water in the system for several hundred miles (could only get 16 gals in). On my 07 there is no SVA filter. End of story I drained the engine and radiator, (did not pull the bottom hose). I used mobile concentrate with sca recommended by a huge truck shop and they had it by the case..,mixes with Amy type coolant. If you drain every 3 yes or so you do not need to be concerned about the sca, if not just have the sca checked when servicing the engine.
Or you may have my luck and loose it all., don't hurt quiet as much.
Over on yahoo CC site under files (coolant) is a paper from Cummins you might be interested in reading.
Good luck
Marvin

I can't agree that you if you replace coolant every 3 years, you don't have to be concerned with SCA level. You always should test a coolant sample at least annually. The SCAs in the coolant are sacrificial and if the SCA level drops out of the recommended contraction level then you are exposing your cylinder liners to cavitation. Go to a Cummins shop & get a couple of test strips & test a sample or take a sample bottle of coolant to Cummins & let them do it. Not doing it risks an engine rebuild.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
if you drain it, why can't you get the 50/50 in
It is generally considered difficult, if not impossible, to get all the coolant to drain from these class A's with so many long hoses, low points, etc. So, it is critical to know the total capacity of the coolant system.... not just the engine and radiator but all the heater hoses, motorcades, etc. That info must be obtained from the coach builder. My coach has a total capacity of 26 gallons.

The recommended procedure is to drain what you can, fill the system with tap water to flush and drain. Fill the system with distilled water, flush and drain. Then fill the system with enough full strength coolant to equal half of your cooling system capacity (in my case that would be at least 13 gallons of full strength coolant). Then you top off the system with more distilled water and test for freeze point.

When Cummins did mine, they did not follow that process but found a way to get most all of my system drained. They put 23 gallons of 50/50% mix in my system so they got pretty close to the max of 26 gallons. My freeze point tested -35 and the OAT test strip tested perfect.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I recently had a complete drain, flush and refill at my Cummins Coach Care shop. I elected to go with OAT coolant. They used Fleetguard ES Compleat OAT. If you use Final Charge OAT you can always find that at truck stops.

What did that cost?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I can't agree that you if you replace coolant every 3 years, you don't have to be concerned with SCA level. You always should test a coolant sample at least annually. The SCAs in the coolant are sacrificial and if the SCA level drops out of the recommended contraction level then you are exposing your cylinder liners to cavitation. Go to a Cummins shop & get a couple of test strips & test a sample or take a sample bottle of coolant to Cummins & let them do it. Not doing it risks an engine rebuild.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
You can check the sca or most any shop that service big rigs,including speedco can test the sca and add if needed. You can test yourself if you like. 3 years or 30k is what I seem to remember. I will keep my own up to date.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #11

The 30k or 3years I mentioned was if no filter installed. (You should drain and flush). You should check sca more often. My bad
Old 07-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #12

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

This topic is interesting. I have a Cummins 8.3 ISC. I couldn't see where anyone else has posted any OAT converter info.

5 years ago, I changed to an OAT coolant without draining hardly anything. I used Final Charge Global by Peak. It's approved for all heavy diesels. If your current coolant is up to date with the SCA's, you can get a 'Converter" solution from Peak that is added to your current coolant.

Drain out as much of your existing coolant as you can, change your coolant filter to a non-SCA filter and add the converter (in the appropriate amount for the remaining old coolant). Top off the system with some fresh 'Final Charge Global', and, voila!, you're done. Forget about checking SCA's. It's available in concentrate or 50/50. I got everything at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Hope this helps.
Dave Trotter
01 Intrigue 11215
Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdabode View Post
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

This topic is interesting. I have a Cummins 8.3 ISC. I couldn't see where anyone else has posted any OAT converter info.

5 years ago, I changed to an OAT coolant without draining hardly anything. I used Final Charge Global by Peak. It's approved for all heavy diesels. If your current coolant is up to date with the SCA's, you can get a 'Converter" solution from Peak that is added to your current coolant.

Drain out as much of your existing coolant as you can, change your coolant filter to a non-SCA filter and add the converter (in the appropriate amount for the remaining old coolant). Top off the system with some fresh 'Final Charge Global', and, voila!, you're done. Forget about checking SCA's. It's available in concentrate or 50/50. I got everything at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Hope this helps.
Dave Trotter
01 Intrigue 11215
I drained my system 3 times(flushed with dironized water), pulled the thermostat.. The max I could get out was 16 gal, this including running the dash heat, I did not pull the bottom hose because of the situation at the time..my book states 29 gal in the system.. Even though the water looked very clean I did not want to mix that much.. When I put the Mobil HD w/sca back in with the thermostat installed, drained the engine block and the radiator.. I could only get 13 gal back in..I used a pump and measured very careful.. I don't know how much more would have drained by pulling the bottom hose..
Old 08-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
I drained my system 3 times(flushed with dironized water), pulled the thermostat.. The max I could get out was 16 gal, this including running the dash heat, I did not pull the bottom hose because of the situation at the time..my book states 29 gal in the system.. Even though the water looked very clean I did not want to mix that much.. When I put the Mobil HD w/sca back in with the thermostat installed, drained the engine block and the radiator.. I could only get 13 gal back in..I used a pump and measured very careful.. I don't know how much more would have drained by pulling the bottom hose..
With the thermostat out, pulling the bottom hose should drain all that can be drained. I am not sure how the guys at Cummins got 23 gallons of coolant back into my system but they did (my manual says I have a 26 gallon capacity). Perhaps they used compressed air to blow the system out???