Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #1

Cooling system flush questions

I need to flush my C-12 Cat. I should use a cleaner to remove any possible rust, scale and old coolant since I may change to OAT. What have you all used as a flush chemical? CAT makes this fast acting flush which costs $50 for a gallon! It is citric acid based like Prestone, but also contains (for some reason) ethanol. There is also Fleet Restore and Restore Plus and many over the counter flush chemicals. What do you all recommend?

Secondly, do you first remove the old coolant then add the flush chemical?

Third, I have been told to change the thermostat AFTER the clean and flush. Is this correct?

Finally, which extended life OAT coolant do you recommend? CAT ELC? Final Charge? Rotella EL?

Rich 2002 Magna

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
I need to flush my C-12 Cat. I should use a cleaner to remove any possible rust, scale and old coolant since I may change to OAT. What have you all used as a flush chemical? CAT makes this fast acting flush which costs $50 for a gallon! It is citric acid based like Prestone, but also contains (for some reason) ethanol. There is also Fleet Restore and Restore Plus and many over the counter flush chemicals. What do you all recommend?

Secondly, do you first remove the old coolant then add the flush chemical?

Third, I have been told to change the thermostat AFTER the clean and flush. Is this correct?

Finally, which extended life OAT coolant do you recommend? CAT ELC? Final Charge? Rotella EL?

Rich 2002 Magna
Rich
I don't know if you know anything about the Ford 6.0 and the problem a lot of guys have had with the oil cooler and egr cooler and the Ford Gold JUNK coolant being the problem. The coolant can't take the heat from the egr cooler the silicates drop out and if there is any casting sand in the system in time you have a big problem. I did a coolant flush using distilled water dropped the Gold junk adding distilled water pulling the t/stat so thing would flush quicker (3 times) then added 1/2 gallon of Restore added cardboard in front of the radiator using my Edge Insight running for an hour at 185-190* (a must do) to get the product to work then did 5 distilled flushes then added 1/2 gallon Restore+ ran for another hour. I flushed it tell it had a ph of 7.0 using swimming pool strips then added 3 1/2 gallons Delo Cat ELC-1 coolant (system holds 7 gallons). In this coolant flush I used 54 gallons of distilled water and this is going on 6 years ago. My deltas run EOT 198* ECT 194* and the highest I have seen was EOT 228* ECT 218* fan on pulling my 5er up a 6-7% grade in 90*+ outside temp.
One thing is the Restore+ may plug the oil cooler if you have a high mileage motor if so I would skip the Restore+ because it cleans off any iron buildup where the Restore turns the silicates crystals back to a liquid. I got both at Cummins NW plus I ran the coolant filter for 5K before doing a flush to remove any casting sand and removed about 1/4 cup of sand.
Cat C-12 may be a little different. Hope this helps some.
2 stroker

2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Rich
I don't know if you know anything about the Ford 6.0 and the problem a lot of guys have had with the oil cooler and egr cooler and the Ford Gold JUNK coolant being the problem. The coolant can't take the heat from the egr cooler the silicates drop out and if there is any casting sand in the system in time you have a big problem. I did a coolant flush using distilled water dropped the Gold junk adding distilled water pulling the t/stat so thing would flush quicker (3 times) then added 1/2 gallon of Restore added cardboard in front of the radiator using my Edge Insight running for an hour at 185-190* (a must do) to get the product to work then did 5 distilled flushes then added 1/2 gallon Restore+ ran for another hour. I flushed it tell it had a ph of 7.0 using swimming pool strips then added 3 1/2 gallons Delo Cat ELC-1 coolant (system holds 7 gallons). In this coolant flush I used 54 gallons of distilled water and this is going on 6 years ago. My deltas run EOT 198* ECT 194* and the highest I have seen was EOT 228* ECT 218* fan on pulling my 5er up a 6-7% grade in 90*+ outside temp.
One thing is the Restore+ may plug the oil cooler if you have a high mileage motor if so I would skip the Restore+ because it cleans off any iron buildup where the Restore turns the silicates crystals back to a liquid. I got both at Cummins NW plus I ran the coolant filter for 5K before doing a flush to remove any casting sand and removed about 1/4 cup of sand.
2 stroker
Thanks 2 Stroker. As it happens this is useful since I have a 6.0 as well! I looked it up. Restore Plus is phosphoric acid. The CAT cleaner is citric acid (as is Prestone and most of them). I wonder if that makes a difference.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Rich
2 stroker
2 Stroker: How did you drain the coolant in your CC when you flushed? I cannot see a petcock on my radiator.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #5

On mine there is a 5/8 plug I think on the main cross pipe about 5" from the bottom of the radiator right next to the hose.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The only coolant flush that I would consider using in my Cummins or even in my car is made by Irontite.

It is called Thoro-Flush.

I have used the Irontite Coolant sealer successfully to get myself out of Northern British Columbia where I had a radiator coolant failure on my coach. After installing two bottles of Irontite along with 12 gallons of coolant I drove another 5000 miles to Gadsden Alabama where a new radiator was built and installed.

You can read all about it HERE.

These Irontite products are professional products that do not compare to the junk that you will find on the shelves at your local automotive supply stores.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
cooling