Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Cost Of Replacing Hydraulic Lines on Slideout

We recently purchased a 02 Intrigue 36' evening star. This is our first DP and even a motorhome with slide outs.

We currently have a leak in the hydraulic line that returns to the tank that is located in the first bay on the drivers side.

I am looking for cost associated with replacing the whole line, as I have been told that this is the best option. The line appears to run in front of the gas tank, and then over to the passenger side bay with the propane tank.

Also any other advice on taking care of these slide outs would be appreciated. We have two, one up front (kitchen and sofa), and one in back bedroom.

Bneukam
02 CC Intrigue

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Which line is leaking? There are a number of lines going to and from the reservoir. It should go across to the valves over the propane tank on the pax side.

You can remove the line and take it to any hydraulic shop and have one made. Or you could get a replacement from HWH.

When you refill the reservoir, make sure you use fluid that has no color. If one of the lines in either the top or bottom of the slide leaks, you could end up with colored fluid on the floor or in the overhead of the slide.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

If you are handy guy with tools and have patience try it yourself. If you have a service shop do the work count on $125 an hour. The hydraulic lines are not expensive and readily available and custom made lengths. I'd replace them myself, sounds like you know where they are routed. Good luck
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM   #4

If you can get it out...

Or locate heavy equipment service shops as they can cut and splice in place.

Not cheap but way faster than ripping 30 ft of line out.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:39 AM   #5

Hey Don,

Its the line thats mounted on the side of the tank. There is two located there and its the one in the back. I can see it run over in front of the gas tank and to the bay with the propane tank, but can't see that well to know which one it is once it arrives in the next bay. I am not sure but I believe that this line is one of the returns.

Thanks
Old 02-21-2015, 01:04 AM   #6

Also once the lines leave the bay with the tank they are all tightly banded together. There is really no information that came with the coach that gives a layout of all the lines.

I would guess that its no longer than about 12'.

The guy at cummings said that parker no longer makes the crimp fittings that are on this coach. A company in China does but he would not install them due to low quality.

So I am back to replacing the whole line. I just don't know which valve it connects to in the propane bay

Thanks,
Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 AM   #7

Check with a hydrolic supply house as they would most likely have it.

Cummins is not the best place for that...like ordering pizza at dennys.

Hydrolic fittings and controls or something like that is a national company with locations all over the place and they have tons of stuff in their stores.

It is just a hose of a certian size that needs a splice...no big deal.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:23 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
You have been given good suggestions. I had to replace a long line on my previous coach. I removed the line, took it to a local NAPA parts store, and they quickly make up a new hydraulic line of much better quality than the original HWH thermoplastic line.

Your other option if you don't want to remove it but do a repair on the coach is to find a local mobile guy who does that kind of work. Check with someone who sells excavation equipment, heavy equipment operators, etc. and they can tell you who in your area does that kind of work.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #9

Cost Of Replacing Hydraulic Lines on Slideout

Don't splice it. Figure out how to get it out of there and pay attention to how it is laid out in the motorhome while taking it out.
Take it to a place that can make a new line for you by copying the old one.
NAPA made one for me also.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #10

If you are at home and can take the time to remove the line then it is the best option.

Use a source that specializes in hose building as they have many options more than any Napa and price will be better.

We replaced hose for a friends Southwind kickdown jack that had exhaust heat damage.

Got a hose designed for higher pressure and heat and also added heat shield.

Look at what damaged the esisting hose and see if it can be designed out with your repair.

Maybe ask Kevin W.

However if you are not able to do that due to ability or location then a field splice will get it done now and for least cost.

Then you can take your time to determine your next steps as now you are in "maintenance" mode and not "emergency" mode.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #11

Take the line loose at the tank end. The have someone on the other side watch while you wiggle the line. Should be able to see it move on the servo end.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

Alright, thanks everyone for your replies. I will make some calls and see if I can't find someone to do a new crimp on the existing line.

I would prefer to do this myself but at this point I have no idea which line it is once it gets over to the next bay. I have tried to wiggle it as far back as possible with no luck. Like I said they are banded pretty tight together. Plus they run tightly against the front of the fuel tank. Not much slack at all.

Seems like there should be a schematic drawing as to where each line runs to.

Being this is my first coach with slide outs its all very new.

Also when my galley slide comes in the Kitchen side tends to lead first then the sofa side. Is this ok? Is this due to the carpet thats in front of the sofa? Once its in everything is sealed well.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Just a thought..... since CC labels all the wires well, have you checked to see if there is a label or some sort of ID# on the hose? If so, perhaps it might be found at both the pump end and the other end in the propane bay. I do know that all the HWH hoses on my previous DP had a specific HWH part # on them.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #14

Ok, I did check that, but this hose and one other does not have anything listed. I am wondering if this hose has not been cut and recrimped once before.

Does anyone know how much these hoses cost?

I have a total of four that run from the tank over to the valve connector that is located on top of the propane tank. I would guess that they are about 12'.

Wondering if I just should replace all four. That way I could mark where they go and see if I could then pull all four through at the same time. I don't want to remove, and then reinstall the good ones, once I know where they all connect to on each end.

Tags
slide, slideout