Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #1

Country Coach

I need some info regarding cat vs cummins diesels - which engine is better or less problematic ? 2006-2007 inspire genoa - any info would be appreciated- thanks
go49ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #2

I'd personally focus on confirming the coach met your needs on the livability side more then Cummins vs CAT. That being said, and I don't think they came in the Inspire, I would avoid the CAT transmission (most CATS were with either the Allison 3xxx or 4xxx series, but a few of the BIG BLOCK cats in a few CC model years, had the CAT transmission coupled to them.

If you had two coaches that you liked the interior on, and one had the Cummins and the other had the CAT - I would then go with the rig that had the best DOCUMENTATION of maintenance and care.

I believe that most Inspires had the C9 Cat?

I have no worries about CAT providing life of engine/coach support of the engine on parts and service. In our coach hunting, looking at Intrigue as our preferred coach, I wanted 1) Big Block CAT engine 1st 2) Cummins ISL engine 2nd. We ended up with an Allure, once my wife saw the galley - it was game over. No CAT option on the Allure, so we have the ISL.

I've heard it commented on that CAT parts can be more expensive, but in the overall scheme of coach ownership - I would again take the coach that had the best documented care and condition. CAT vs Cummins is a non issue, IMO!

If it is a 2006 era Cummins ISL400 (Not sure which Cummins was in the Inspire?), do take the serial number of the engine and call Cummins to see if it is one with the at risk "wrist pins". I personally would avoid those engines. (They may never cause a problem, but if the do you have an expensive engine repair. And, those coaches should have much lower resell going forward, due to the risk.)

Best of luck on your search,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
laj

smitty is right. as far as I've scene the C-15 600hp cats were the only ones with cat trans.
would live to have one.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Don't worry about the motor, that is the least of your worries. Just remember, if momma ain't happy, no one is happy.Go for floor plan.

Don't worry about the "wrist pin" thing because the Inspire didn't have that motor.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the others. I would focus more on how the coach has been maintained and if the floor plan meets your needs. My previous coach had a CAT and my Allure has the Cummins ISL. Both are solid engines and will last many more miles than most of us will ever put on them....if they are properly maintained.