Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Country Coach fuel capacity?

I have a 2007 Country Coach Tribute. I'm new to this RV world. The owners manual states that it has a 110 gallon fuel tank, however , I ran out of fuel (not a fun experience) and tank would only take 80 gallons. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2015, 01:14 AM   #2

it says 110 gal it's got to be 110 gal, since even my 2000 has 105 gal capacity. i filled up 100 gal knowing there was still some in it. could the fuel gauge be the gremlin?

Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #3

Well you ran out of fuel so I guess it's safe to say you were empty. Now only taking 80 out of 110 gal. Is a huge differance. I know when I fill mine fast I get a lot of foam and need to let it settle down then pump some more.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:37 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
I had a Holiday Rambler a few years ago. I ran out of fuel with 1/4 tank on the gauge. When I filled it up, it only took 100 gal with a 130 gal tank. HR said it was normal and wouldn't do anything about it (under warranty). It taught me to drive on the top half of the tank. I always thought it was the fuel pick up installed wrong inside the tank.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfleener View Post
I have a 2007 Country Coach Tribute. I'm new to this RV world. The owners manual states that it has a 110 gallon fuel tank, however , I ran out of fuel (not a fun experience) and tank would only take 80 gallons. Any thoughts?
My 2002 Magna also has a 110. Never taken more than 90. When I have used 80, I refill.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

We also drive on the top of the tank, with the lowest gauge reading I can recall being just at 1/4 tank, and that was because I was rolling back into the home base and know I'd be topping off just as I got back to town. Cool weather traveling, so no need to run the generator for the roof AC's.

As a norm, we fill up between 1/3 to 1/2 with 70% of the time being closer to 70%.

As you never know what might happen as far as weather, or say a medical emergency requiring you to stay in place longer then expected. So we try to keep the tank on the top side of 3/4 before pulling off for the night.

This is more important for those with Aqua/Hydro Hot, as the diesel fuels this important heat source too.

OP, best of luck to you. Staying above a 1/3 tank might do you well in the future!

Smitty
Old 12-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #7

Another thought is that your engine fuel supply line may be hooked up to the generator and or furnace system which are designed to leave you 1/4 tank to drive on.
110 x.75=82.5 gallons. Hope you can figure it out.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Another thought is that your engine fuel supply line may be hooked up to the generator and or furnace system which are designed to leave you 1/4 tank to drive on.
110 x.75=82.5 gallons. Hope you can figure it out.
who would think that...
Old 12-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #9

The point at which the tank appears full can vary a great deal based on how level the coach is when actually pumping the fuel. On the three coaches we've owned I've noticed differences of up to 20 gallons or more between when the tank should have been full and when the fuel was up to the cap and would accept no more.

I've adopted the practice of tilting the coach on the air bags away from the pump so that the fuel would reach the fill neck at the latest possible time. This ensures a mostly full tank at fill up. It's not always practical to tip the coach due to the fuel island configuration, time, etc., however.

Given that there's no guarantee that the tank is full when one might think it is, it's a good idea to do a sanity check by comparing the miles traveled to the gallons of fuel accepted by the tank.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #10

You are right, but I level my Magna whenever I fill and I have never been able to put more than 90 or so into the 110 gallon tank.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:49 PM   #11

I posted this on another thread, so if you've read it already, sorry.
I have a fill on each side of the coach, on the way out to AZ. I had been filling up on the drivers side, it is supposed to have a 109 gal. tank, and I always watch how many miles by the trip odometer, I reset it every time I fill up. Well, the last time I filled it I filled it by the passenger side. When I got ready to store it I went to the station, I had a hard time filling it the auto nozzle would not stay cocked, I did find a spot, and it ran a little over 46 gal. in but I couldn't see/hear it coming up the fill hose, so started milking it. Imagine my surprise when I put 30 more gals in! The odometer only had 325 mi. on it. Had I been out on the road thinking I had 175 mi. left, I would have ran out! So from here on out, I will not stop filling until the fuel runs out of the fuel fill.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
You are right, but I level my Magna whenever I fill and I have never been able to put more than 90 or so into the 110 gallon tank.
To get the most fuel practical into the tank I'm suggesting that the coach/tank NOT be level but rather tipped away from the pump. That puts the fill neck at a higher level thus minimizing the air space remaining in the tank when the fuel rises to the point where the fill neck joins the fuel tank.
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfleener View Post
Bob,

I have a 2007 Inspire and have the same exact situation as you (ran out of fuel!). The gauge did show empty but the last half a tank went very fast and we were in the middle of nowhere when we ran out. All I can figure is with the pickup being raised so as not to pull up sediment from the bottom of the tank and also the required air space at the top for expansion 80 gallons is all we are going to get. I measured the tank and did the math and it is indeed a 110 gallon tank but only has 80 usable gallons. I now use Silverleaf VMSpc to keep track of fuel usage and predict miles to empty and it works very well. The gauge is not reliable...

Good luck,
Old 12-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
Bob,

I have a 2007 Inspire and have the same exact situation as you (ran out of fuel!). The gauge did show empty but the last half a tank went very fast and we were in the middle of nowhere when we ran out. All I can figure is with the pickup being raised so as not to pull up sediment from the bottom of the tank and also the required air space at the top for expansion 80 gallons is all we are going to get. I measured the tank and did the math and it is indeed a 110 gallon tank but only has 80 usable gallons. I now use Silverleaf VMSpc to keep track of fuel usage and predict miles to empty and it works very well. The gauge is not reliable...

Good luck,
If you are using your heater or generator that fuel use will not show up on your Silverleaf. I have found mileage to be the best indicator and I always figure a very conservative 5 mpg if I have been using our generator and or heater. In my previous coach I was having problems with the fuel gauge and had to have the tank sending unit replaced.

Tags
fuel