Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Country Coach full-body paint

I have a 2006 Inspire that is showing what appear to be fibers of some kind showing under the paint. It only shows on the right side in all paint colors and covers a good 90% of the side top to bottom, front to back. The fibers are about 1/4" long, at all different angles and no more than 1/2" apart.They are more pronounced in cold weather and nearly invisible in hot weather.

Anyone have any ideas as to what they might be or what will happen in the future, i.e. cracking, peeling, etc?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2009, 04:26 AM   #2

There are people who know a lot more about this than I, so please take this only as an uneducated opinion.

The fibers you see are probably fiberglass. I know Country Coach uses a chopped fiberglass on the rear cap rather than laying up a woven mat. I don't know what is used on the sides. A chopped fiberglass is just that, chopped-up fiberglass strands. A woven mat is woven glass strands and is much stronger and the glass strands stay together.

The slide rooms have been a big problem and many have been replaced because the fiberglass has blistered. That is, the layers of glass have separated and it can not be repaired. It must be replaced.

Since Country Coach subcontracted their slide rooms to an outside company, Country Coach has said it's not under their warranty because it is the responsibility of the subcontractor who is now out of business. If they weren't broke, that is probably something to litigate.

You may also see cracking caused by the heat. This will be more common in a dark color like black.

The bottom line is a repaint will be very expensive because you probably will also need fiberglass work.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I had guessed that the problem was what you mentioned, but these fibers were definitely on top of the fiberglass siding and seemed to have possibly been in the paint itself.
Just one of the many diappointments I have had with this coach since I bought it new thinking it was a top quality rig.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #4

Just returned from a trip and talked to another CC owner. Apparently this "paint" problem has been an issue with CC for some time (at least since 2005). They have conveniently failed to address the problem and/or tell owners about it. The paint they use peels away from the body under the gel coat and causes cracks. Eventually whole sections of paint pull away. Problem is caused by exposure to sunlight and a repaint runs about $20,000.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #5

Hello, I am a retired boat builder(glass boats) and have seen your problem in the past. A proper lay-up is 1/16" of gel-coat and then a wet coat of resin after the gel-coat sets up. Then a wet coat of chopped strand is applied and left to cure. This wet coat has to be rolled very well to get all air out of lay-up. After it has cured...in about 4 hours it needs to be sanded to remove all burrs and lumps. After sanding a full lay-up of fiberglass is applied. OK...this is where the fiberglass contractor will cheat. They will elliminate the cure and sanding steps and build the panel in one step. Unless CC had a person on site these cheaper panels would be used.
The reason panels raise and voids are created is because there was air sealed in which creates a gas bubble. This gas bubble would stay forever unseen in a cool enviroment but when the panel is exposed to the sun, the gas expands and a delamination is started. It will only get bigger. Freightliner trucks has all glass parts from contractors baked in a oven at 300 degrees and if there is a void a large bubble will show up in a matter of minutes. A correct lay-up as I mentioned above will last forever....
Now, your problem of glass strand showing. There is also a method of building glass panels called SMC and this is a panel that is extruded out of a large panel machine. These panels are used on lower end RV's and truck boxes etc. The surface is not as smooth as a fiberglass hand lay-up but is a lot less expensive. I can't imagine CC using this method but ???
Answer: If it is SMC panels, a vinylester primer would have to be used and sanded smooth before a top-coat is applied. If a min of 10 mils is not applied the glass strand will always bleed through.
Do the glass strands just show on the sides? I bet they do! The front and rear caps have to be hand layed from a mold because SMC comes in panels only. I have seen 12'x45' panels before.
I would not worry about the panels delaminating. I would live with the strands showing but a repaint could be done with the correct primers. SMC uses a different resin than polyester resin like your caps. Vinyl ester resin. I would guess a 20k paint job would be possible. One way to tell if they are SMC panels is find a place that you can see or feel the back side of the panel. The panel thickness is usually about 1/8" thick and the panel is smooth on both sides. Maybe around the fuel fill?? The front and rear cap will be rough to the feel. If the side panels are rough on the inside then they are hand layed and a different problem is showing up. The side panels if hand layed should be about .250 + or - in thickness.
Hope this helps, Don
Old 01-23-2010, 09:30 AM   #6

A couple of things: 1) you have what has been called paint checking and affected not just CC but other makers and was predominately in the dark colors. 2) CC did not sub out the slide rooms; they -- like all -- bought the fibgerglass in sheets for the straight areas; the caps were molded and used a different process which is why they are not affected. 3) the problem woudl have started after extended exposure in hot weather. 4) T the best of mt knoweldge, this is purely cosmetic and should not lead to other problems. 5) Our coach sits in the sun 24x7x365 and we spend most o fthat in th NV & CA deserts. After about 18 months it started to show on ours but is only really noticiable when very close to the rig. It's been about 2 yrs since it showed and nothing has happended beyond the initial checking...personally, I woudn't worry about it. 6) Since it is in the fibreglass and not the paint, fixing it would be a major undertaling. Those that I know that have had the work done had the fiberglass replaced. 7) THere is a very active owners group on Yahoo where you can get far mor info especially for your model & year (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...wners/messages).
Old 01-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #7

Personally, I would like to thank Don for that excellent overview he took the time to keyboard and post. I know the Yahoo site has a lot more members, I being one of them who checks in here on occasion, but responses like Don's will help this site also grow and prosper. Nice work and thanks for the effort.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #8

C.C. paint

Certainly a lot of info here, but I am surprised at the lack of responses from C.C. owners who have experienced the same problem. I do appreciate the responses, it has been a real education and wealth of information.

It is unfortunate that buyers have to discover and then deal with these problems on their own without factory support for the most part. I have been camping most of my life, but had my first "RV" (an El Dorado camper) in 1957. My first Class A was a brand new 1971 Fleetwood Pace Arrow.

The old adage about a boat being a hole in the water that you throw money into is nothing compared to buying a motorhome, at least as to how much one does "throw in".

Thanks to everyone for the imput.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #9

Thanks Stuart et All,
I was wondering if I put too much technical info in my reply. In think the owner answered his own question and there will not be a catystropic melt down of his finish. The secret is using the correct primer to etch into the Vinyl ester resin. I know that a polyester resin will not stck to VER or the SMC process.
I have seen many Beaver MH's and they all have a great finish. The roofs are strong and it is due to the molded fiberglass method. The same as used in boat construction.
Also, if a composite is built the Vacuum bag process is the only way to get all air out of the fiberglass. This costs a few extra bucks but the end result is a part that is bullet proof and will out last the frame!
When a large Mega Yacht is constructed many owners have a agent watch the fiberglass construction. If a step is cheated on the agent will usually pick it up. Builders tend to not cheat when an agent is on site. (I did several)
It is a shame that a person purchases a new MH and has finish problems down the line. It would be interesting to see what problems Beaver might run into after it was purchased with their finishes. If the same procedures were followed when beaver owned it, then no problems. Some builders are prone to cost cutting than quality parts.
See ya, Don