Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #1

Country coach history time line

If anyone out there knows the history and time lines of the Country Coach company and can share this info with us it would be appreciated. We currently have an '07 National Dolphin and are considering trading to a diesel pusher model. Have looked at a few CC models and have heard that CC was once owned by National? The interiors do resemble our Dolphin in certain areas. When was the last year of production for CC? Thanks, SAS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Holdings, Inc. owned both National RV and Country Coach at one time. CC was sold to a group of investors, one named Riley and the other two were the Howard brothers. They proceeded to put the company out of business in 2009

Old 08-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #3

time line for CC

These dates are approx.

Bob Lee started Country Coach approx 1987
CC sold to National about 2002
National sold CC 2007
CC closed end of 2009
Founders bought much of former CC including all intellectual property 2010
CCC Country Coach Corp opened Jan 2011 - Currently run by Ron Lee
Ron Lee told me two days ago he intends to make 25 coaches in 2012

My search for a coach is now two years ago. We bought ours because of the floor plan and the semi custom interior. But I think we got lucky as the build quality of our coach is all first class. Ours is a 2002. Others have said that when National got involved they made some changes to decontent-cheapen the product line. I can see a bit of evidence to support that. However, when we were at Country Coach earlier this week we looked at two consignment coaches they had there, a 2005 Magna and a 2007 Affinity and they were both beautiful. Of course my running my eyes over it is not a complete inspection.

Hope this helps.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS30 View Post
If anyone out there knows the history and time lines of the Country Coach company and can share this info with us it would be appreciated. We currently have an '07 National Dolphin and are considering trading to a diesel pusher model. Have looked at a few CC models and have heard that CC was once owned by National? The interiors do resemble our Dolphin in certain areas. When was the last year of production for CC? Thanks, SAS
If you are considering buying a Country Coach and not slide crazy, I suggest you look at the CC Concept. Produced from 1989 to 1999, they were the very best production line MHs ever built. I would guess only about 15 per year. 36' models were built somewhere between 1991 and 1993, the others were 40'ers except in 1999 a few 45' models were built. The 1995 40' Concept had a MSRP of about $450K and could reach $500K with some options. The 36' models was powered by a Detroit 350 HP 6V92. The 40' models had a Detroit 450 HP 8V92 until 1997 when they switched to a Detroit Series 60. None were ever built with a slide. They can be bought anywhere between $40K and $70K. With a few thousand dollars interior upgrade, TV's carpet, etc, you would have a MH that is surpassed by none.

Jim E
Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #5

My opinion is that after 2002 and the National RV purchase, Country Coach became driven by the publicly traded company, hired manager syndrome of rapid profit growth rather than the sole focus on building top of the line quality rigs at a premium price of the CC founder.

After National's acquisition, CC began to expand their product line at the entry level introducing the Tribute and Inspire and increased the pricing and complexity of the Allure, Intrigue, Magna, and Affinity production coaches. The focus on rapidly increased volume did them in eventually.

During this time they had failures with the Lexa and Rhapsody model introductions and the Veranda slide out innovations.

Country Coach rigs were a higher quality machine than the National Line and were solely diesel powered unlike the National RV line.

National seemed also to build quality products but were aimed at a different market segment.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

No question that the hotels-on-boardwalk mentality of the Howards ran the product quality into the ground, relatively speaking (it was uniformly way high under Bob Lee). Rapid design changes pressed into high volume, cheaper installation methods burying stuff so you have to disassemble coach for repairs, etc.
Still, they made pretty coaches, and with the exception of the PTO snafu, the chassis shop turned out a pretty good platform on which to build a house.
You could tell they were smoking the funny stuff though, when they came out with the "Year of the Veranda." I blew my Scotch across the room when I heard that.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:19 PM   #7

I don't doubt that National had an impact on CC. Much depended upon when the model changed, and how significant the model changes were. I found minor changes up thru the 04 model of Allure/Intrigue (the main units I was interested in). Still built by the same guys on the same line. I did notice the fabric used in the Allure 04 line, did not seem to be as good a quality as the 02 Allure line, but knew this going in. The chassis, engine, and 'mechancial' assembly parts were basically the same. Great attention to detail on assembly, clean/neat wire and plumbing related lines, and super documentation. I did look at several 06, and 07 units - in walk thru's only (not crawling under, and checking out too closely) - and I felt they were still above the quality of most other coaches. Certainly equal to the American, Travel Supreme and Alpine lines that were the main items I was comparing the CC's too.

National had an impact, but agree it's hard to ding any CC too much. Sure, PTO's, non slide generator (again, knew this going in on our 04), blurring of some parts sourcing with othe Dolphin lines. But that by itself was not real bad, as National built a good coach too, different, but good.

If no slide is needed, good input on stepping back to the older units - as they were from a a different era for CC.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #8

engineermike - When I first saw that CC was introducing the veranda my first thought was, "this will put them out of business". And it did. To add a little context from the time of the intro of the veranda recall the FMCA article that was from the same 2007-2008 time period. That was the "Coach of the Future" prediction. If you really what to laugh look up the article and read it. They predicted that in the future coaches would be 75' cantilevered behemoths.

Only the very few can clearly see what is ahead of us.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #9

I have a 1998 CC Intrigue. The talk on the street is that you should look for model years up to 2000. Afer that things started going down hill. For proof check out the CC user group on yahoo and you'll see that there isn't much talk from CC owners with the older coaches.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

What I heard from when I was at the factory last month was up to 2004 the quality was more cosistant.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #11

I have a 1984 country Coach. It is a p30 Chevy chassis. When buffing the outside last summer I removed the Country coach emblems on the front and rear, and under both it was embossed Country Camper. It still has country Camper on each front fender and the roof luggage box says CC on it also. Did country camper get bought out by CC about 83 or 84?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:21 PM   #12

I believe Country Camper was the forerunner of the renamed Country Coach.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Hi there, I recently read an article involving the history of country coach in FMCA magazine, they state that national aquired country coach in 1996 and filed chapter 11 bankrupcy in 2009
Old 10-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984ccoach View Post
I have a 1984 country Coach. It is a p30 Chevy chassis. When buffing the outside last summer I removed the Country coach emblems on the front and rear, and under both it was embossed Country Camper. It still has country Camper on each front fender and the roof luggage box says CC on it also. Did country camper get bought out by CC about 83 or 84?
I'm pretty sure Bob Lee's company was Country Camper prior to the name change to Country Coach. Same people, different name.