Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #15

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Thanks OP!

I think the Intrigue would be the one that matches all but the 1 1/2 bath... Keep looking for one with the BIG CAT, vs the stock ISL400 - it will take good care of you.

Check the pictures on the Yahoo CC User Group. You will see a few mod's of the existing battery department to hold up to 1000AH bank of 8D's AGM for the coach. My Allure had the same battery compartment, and I elected to go with X's 4 L16's for 800AH bank. My 40' rig's roof has X's 5 240W 48V Solar Panels, for 1200W.

If you want a residential, the mentioned Samsung is a popular unit for swapping out. Or, if you wish to retain some more boondocking capability, the Norcold 1200 can be modified with the Amish Cooling Unit.

In the years you mentioned, you should find the wood quality to be very good.

I'm not knocking the Magna's or Affinity - but more stuff, more weight, and some would say more glitz then you indicated was desired.

The CCC of my 40' Allure will be higher then the Intrigue, I have over 11K Lbs of CCC. I also find the less weight of the Allure, actually gave me better 'power to weight ratio' over the same year Magna I test drove with the BIG CAT. (Much of the increase HP and Torque of the BIG CAT models - are used to carry the higher weight of the engine block, Allison 4000, bigger axles and differential, and larger radiator. Plus, the extra goodies the Magna has adds up too... I found the Intrigue's lighter weight, in the same year, with BIG CAT - had the highest 'power to weight ratio'. However my DW, liked the large galley in the High Cascade Allure model - so game over for Smitty!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Hey, thanks for the great information on CC.

I'll continue the research on CC coaches and the models with the larger engines. I found out that some 2008 models do have the half bath.

Luckily, I have about 5 years before our purchase. So, some of these CC models may be selling for under $100K by then. Great value and there seems to be a large number of them for sale.

I can't wait to join the full timing lifestyle.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #16

Our coach motor has 1550 lbs of torque - it is a C12. The hp is 505. We have lots of power to go up any hill.

Our Affinity has a semi custom interior. My wife and I both loved the south west style of it. All of our wood is ash with the verde stain over the top. We have lots of stained glass windows in the cabinets. Our carpet is cut in the south west style, as are the Roman shades. Some of this was semi custom and some paid for by the original owners. I have never been in a Country Coach that did not have a beautiful interior. However, they do get nicer as you go up the range.

We pull a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door. I cannot even tell it is back there.

I would say the "sweet spot" in my humble opinion depends a bit on the model. Affinities and Magnas got IFS in 2001. Anything after that up and until National started to influence quality in ways not all positive is good. The negatives started to increase in the era of 2004. I am not sure what year the other models got IFS, but you do want that. We originally wanted 38-40'. But when we found our coach we just loved the look of it. We only have two drivers side slides. But our coach is 42'. Plus we really like our floor plan. It really works for us. Many of the CC's we looked at 4 1/2 years ago had more slides. I am glad we ended up the way we did. When you have passenger side slides it is much harder to get into the basement storage if the opening is under the slide. Our passenger side basement storage doors are far larger than if there was a slide there. Also, slides leak. More slides = more leaks.

This past summer when we were at Country Coach we parked next to a guy that bought a 2005 Magna. This was the first year of the flush windows. He had to replace all his because the double windows fogged. Watch out for that.

Solar. We put up two 12volt panels 2 years ago. We have 240watts. Thing is we are hooked to outside power much of the time and the solar goes unused. If you are going boon dock a lot solar is good. But it is also expensive and works best in the summer at noon. If it is winter and 3 pm you don't get much out of them. You will need to run the generator to use the air conditioners any way. I do not regret putting on the two panels. I may add 1 more as my controller can only take one more. But unless you are going to boon dock most of the time it is easier to just run your generator a couple hours a day. We have all electric and 6 8D AGM batteries. When we camp with a bunch of our friends all of whom have electric / propane, they run their generators more than we do. But as I said, the bulk of the time we have hook ups. When we don't what we have works well.

Country Coaches are one of the best used coaches ever made. Really only Foretravel is at the same level. One of our close RV friends has a Foretravel 3 years newer than our coach. It is very very similar to ours. Many of the same suppliers were used for high end items. They have a Nimbus 2005. They also got the two drivers side slides. Our interior is nicer. We got the big CAT and they have a 400hp Cummins. Our paint looks better than theirs and our coach is older. In my humble opinion no other production type coaches are at the level of CC and FT. You have to go up to something like a Prevost or a Newell to get a better coach. If you buy the RVCG reports they will agree with what I just said.

If you are going to spend all this money for a home on wheels I suggest you get the RVCG reports too before you buy. The Country Coach factory and several others around Junction City OR sell used CC's. That is a good place to buy. Get your coach prepped by the pros before taking delivery.

Hope this helps. And BTW, everyone wants to justify their decision and their coach as a smart buy. Me included.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #17

We are looking at a 2004 42; Intrigue Ovations. I see comments concerning "aluminum radiator and dry PTO" and allow money to repair. What are the issues and are the costs outstanding. The unit we are looking at has about 25,000 mile, appears in great shape and is asking less than 100K. Is this something we should continue to look at? Thanks
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:23 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Intrigue is an excellent choice. Aluminum Radiators were an issue and most needed to be replaced. Ask or check with a magnet and also inquire about the PTO wet kit. The dry PTO needs to be opened and lubed regularly or have the "Wet Kit". Check info in Yahoo Country Coach Forum (search for PTO 101) or contact JDRV in Oregon... JOHN DAVIS RV SERVICES INC. for info and costs.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

We had the wet PTO installed at Country Coach at 17000mi cost of around $900 parts and labor. The Copper and Steel radiator was installed before we got it by Quinn Cat in Calif. at a cost of $5600 parts and labor from the paper work we got with the coach. They got the radiator from Radiator Supply House - What can we build for you? and shipped to Quinn Cat.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #20

gbburgess - You should check to see if PTO and radiator are even an issue in the coach you are looking at. Our PTO and radiator were both good and no need for replacement.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #21

I crawled all around the radiator. It looks clean, dry and in good shape. However, It bears keeping an eye on. Nothing appears to have been pressure washed and it does not appear anyone is trying to hide anything. By the way, we pulled the trigger and purchased it yesterday so I hope I am correct. I think I will call Country Coach on Monday and see if I can get the build sheets. Thanks

gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality