Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Country Coach - Is this a quality used coach?

I know I'll be buying a used Class A. There must be a quality used high end coach with a large 550 hp+ and 1500+ lbs-ft of torque for me to select.

If I look for something between years 2004 and 2007, which CC would your recommend and why?

But, if you do think there is another year/model to consider, by all means, please let me know. I don't know much about CC and the good and bad years for its coaches.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You would need to look at Affinity and Magna to meet your horsepower criteria. While our CC is not in the upper end of their pecking order, we did not see many coaches of any brand in the price range we targeted that seemed of equal or higher quality than our Allure. My rating of quality is based on overall fit and finish, how systems are installed (electrical, hydraulic, etc.), cabinet build quality and finish, absence of squeaks/rattles when driven, and so on. My coach is solidly built and the cabinet work is absolutely outstanding.

There are certainly other high end quality coaches that meet your criteria but I believe CC ranks with most of them. Foretravel is certainly one that is excellent as well as American Eagle/Heritage, Newmar's high end coaches, Travel Supreme Select, and the higher end Monacos and Beavers. Then there are the Newells and the Prevost conversions, depending on your budget and how big and powerful you want to go.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

Here is one that is post on the Country Coach forum with a CAT 525, radiator and PTO both upgraded and stainless steel residential fridge just a few of the things.
2006 Country Coach Intrigue Ovation, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale By Owner in Corvallis, Oregon | RVT.com - 117393 with Video
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #4

CC built some Intrigues with the big motor in them. Quite an expensive option, somewhere around $35,000. The Allures and Intrigues, foot for foot, have more storage space than the Magna or Affinity
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #5
laj

dons, what did they put in that space on the magnas and affinities?
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I'm not sure what the Magna or Affinity have that takes up the space but moving from a 40' Inspire to 45' Intrigue I found no additional space apparently attributed to the AquaHot Heating, additional batteries, Powered Electric Cord retract/extend and stacked Washer Dryer (220 V). AquaHot is very nice but requires more maintenance, batteries for the additional electrics. Additional weight and 525 Cat engine do not help MPG.
Love our Intrigue though.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #7

What is it you are looking for in a coach? What length? If it is just for extra hill climbing or towing ability, the Intrigue 40' with BIG CAT will give you more power to weight ratio then the ISX top end coaches with just a few more HP.

I feel the sweet spot is the 2004-2006 model years, to avoid more smog related plumping. As mentioned, good chance an aluminum radiator and dry PTO would be invlolved with those year coaches. If not all ready dealt with, factor into the purchase price.

More info on what you are thinking, would allow more finite input from the CC clan.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
dons, what did they put in that space on the magnas and affinities?
Lots more foo foo on the inside, more batteries, larger tires, larger hydro hot, more electronics
Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #9
laj

thanks dons, just didnt know where they lost it.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #10

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Also the Affinities and Magnas generally are 45 foot and have a tag. The space may be the same, but the weight of the items stored is definitely higher. My Magna has 3 large basement storage compartments, all with bi-directional slides.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #11

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
What is it you are looking for in a coach? What length? If it is just for extra hill climbing or towing ability, the Intrigue 40' with BIG CAT will give you more power to weight ratio then the ISX top end coaches with just a few more HP.

I feel the sweet spot is the 2004-2006 model years, to avoid more smog related plumping. As mentioned, good chance an aluminum radiator and dry PTO would be invlolved with those year coaches. If not all ready dealt with, factor into the purchase price.

More info on what you are thinking, would allow more finite input from the CC clan.

Best,
Smitty
Hi Smitty,
I'm looking to full time with the wife. In addition, I'm planning to put a custom solar system on the roof with lots of panels and associated heavy batteries. So, I will need lots of spare cargo weight with the chassis. I will also be pulling a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door). A tag axle is therefore most likely advisable. Planning to go up and down any and every hill with a road for RVs in the North American continent, so torque and hp are a necessity.

Not too concerned if some of the systems in the RV are out of date. I can always upgrade those. Neither the DW nor myself are the type that need to buy knew. As long as I can find out the maintenance history of the coach and a good chassis/engine ... the DW selects the inside colors, amenities ... I guess, in the end, for the sake of happy full timing, the wife selects the coach, doesn't she? Yep, DW just reminded me, need 1 and a 1/2 baths, washer/dryer, floor heating ... All electric coach would be nice to go along with Solar.

DW likes the warm homey feeling of woodsy interiors. Not the flashy stuff usually found in some high end coaches.

I also wonder if some CC coaches behave well if I find myself parked in some wintry stuff or if I ever forget to head south for the winter
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
The CC's I've looked at in that era (2003 - 2006/7) all have beautiful wood interiors, generally solid cherry in a natural (lighter) and a slight darker finish. One of the things we liked most about our Allure was the warm and homey interior look without a lot of fu fu.

We've used this coach in very cold weather..... low teens and single digits. Between the Aqua Hot and using a small electric space heater (on the coldest of nights), we were toasty. Most folks with CC's have reported they are insulated well. That said, routinely living in any motorhome in really cold weather for extended periods requires some planning and extra steps.

The bath and 1/2 may be harder to find in that era. Full rear bath coaches with a smaller half bath up front have become very popular with all the manufacturers in recent years for sure.

I'd suggest you start looking online at what CC's are available. It seems there is a concentration of nice, clean, well maintained rigs in Oregon but I've seen them listed all over the country. We found ours at a large dealer in NC.

Good luck with your search and let us all know what you find.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #13

Yes, they all have nice wood interiors but......... the older ones have a lot more wood in them. My cabinet doors on my '02 are a lot thicker than those on the newer coaches. One way to save $$ and weight was to use thinner wood.

So, here we are, sitting at a shop having a Samsung refer installed. Cheaper than a newer coach. Besides, I know this one like the back of my hand
Old 04-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #14

Thanks OP!

I think the Intrigue would be the one that matches all but the 1 1/2 bath... Keep looking for one with the BIG CAT, vs the stock ISL400 - it will take good care of you.

Check the pictures on the Yahoo CC User Group. You will see a few mod's of the existing battery department to hold up to 1000AH bank of 8D's AGM for the coach. My Allure had the same battery compartment, and I elected to go with X's 4 L16's for 800AH bank. My 40' rig's roof has X's 5 240W 48V Solar Panels, for 1200W.

If you want a residential, the mentioned Samsung is a popular unit for swapping out. Or, if you wish to retain some more boondocking capability, the Norcold 1200 can be modified with the Amish Cooling Unit.

In the years you mentioned, you should find the wood quality to be very good.

I'm not knocking the Magna's or Affinity - but more stuff, more weight, and some would say more glitz then you indicated was desired.

The CCC of my 40' Allure will be higher then the Intrigue, I have over 11K Lbs of CCC. I also find the less weight of the Allure, actually gave me better 'power to weight ratio' over the same year Magna I test drove with the BIG CAT. (Much of the increase HP and Torque of the BIG CAT models - are used to carry the higher weight of the engine block, Allison 4000, bigger axles and differential, and larger radiator. Plus, the extra goodies the Magna has adds up too... I found the Intrigue's lighter weight, in the same year, with BIG CAT - had the highest 'power to weight ratio'. However my DW, liked the large galley in the High Cascade Allure model - so game over for Smitty!

Happy hunting,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality