Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Suggest for pre ULSD engines, that you use an additive to help replaced the lost lubrication that the engines were designed to run on. Many choices so do your own research, many use XPD.

Another area related to coaches designed pre ULSD, is that rubber hoses will degrade and fail. Runs to generators and Aqua/Hydro Hots should be replaced with ULSD compliant hoses. Failures can, and have, resulted in fires.

The Intrigue of that year ISL is probably CAPS and ISL400, I have the ISL370 in our 04 Allure, and Cummins just refreshed it for me to the 400 configuration. Minor improvements in top power by the 30HP, but the HP and Torque power curves are a bit better too. I noticed improvement in on ramp acceleration.

Our coach had not problems with he PTO or Side Radiator, so good chance you could be OK too - sure worth checking!

Best,
Smitty
If I may:
1. What are the names of some additives.
2. What was the approx. cost from Cummins on upgrading the hp/torgue ratings.

Good info on the pre ULSD rubber hoses and upgrades. The gaskets in lift pump for our 2004 Dutch Star started leaking most likely from a reaction with this fuel.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #16

Thanks Dave and Mytime for the good information and explanation. Have been reading the links. Also have had communication with CC. Advised that the 2003 was not a concern for the PTO/radiators -Their response "2003 was not normally an area of concern for the PTO or the radiators.
The Hydraulic pump was normally still driven off the engine and not a
PTO
attached to the transmission. If it does have the PTO then it would most

likely need to be upgraded". The diesel coaches are a whole new area for me and much to learn, I thank all who have replied for your guidance and patience. I will start another thread to attempt to locate an inspector to check out a unit I am looking at now. Ideally one familiar with CC and diesel engines.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
If I may:
1. What are the names of some additives.
2. What was the approx. cost from Cummins on upgrading the hp/torgue ratings.

Good info on the pre ULSD rubber hoses and upgrades. The gaskets in lift pump for our 2004 Dutch Star started leaking most likely from a reaction with this fuel.

The ECM change to 400HP config was about $450.

Optilube XPD (Several version depending upon winter vs summer blends.) is a popular one. Staydyne, Howes, Lucas, and even Cummins and CAT now have additives also available. And many more, Amsoil has products too. On my droid and heading into a movie or I'd search for you. Do a search on Diesel Additives and you'll find lots of reading material!

Best,
Smitty
Old 03-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #18
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
The ECM change to 400HP config was about $450.

Optilube XPD (Several version depending upon winter vs summer blends.) is a popular one. Staydyne, Howes, Lucas, and even Cummins and CAT now have additives also available. And many more, Amsoil has products too. On my droid and heading into a movie or I'd search for you. Do a search on Diesel Additives and you'll find lots of reading material!

Best,
Smitty
Thank you for the info. Might look into having ECM change done at my Cummins Coach Care place where I get the annual service/other stuff done.

Tags
engine, cummins