Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:06 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dash AC, How many have given up?

In 2013 when we got this coach we had the dealer (Tom Johnson in NC) repair a leak in the AC system. They had a mobile service come in and make up a new hose near the compressor. That repair lasted 3 months so we had the folks at CC in Junction City do another repair. They re-did a crimp connection on the same hose. That lasted 6 months.

Last year we had a local Thermo King do yet another repair. They did a great job replacing the bad crimp connection that leaked but now the same hose is leaking near the compressor (at least that is what I can see).

We just run the generator and use the roof AC units and that works fine. At this point we've spent about $2K on these 3 repairs which obviously included testing, refilling with R134.

So wondering how many of you with similar issues with these complicated dash AC systems have given up on repairing and just use the roof AC units?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
In 2013 when we got this coach we had the dealer (Tom Johnson in NC) repair a leak in the AC system. They had a mobile service come in and make up a new hose near the compressor. That repair lasted 3 months so we had the folks at CC in Junction City do another repair. They re-did a crimp connection on the same hose. That lasted 6 months.

Last year we had a local Thermo King do yet another repair. They did a great job replacing the bad crimp connection that leaked but now the same hose is leaking near the compressor (at least that is what I can see).

We just run the generator and use the roof AC units and that works fine. At this point we've spent about $2K on these 3 repairs which obviously included testing, refilling with R134.

So wondering how many of you with similar issues with these complicated dash AC systems have given up on repairing and just use the roof AC units?
I'm more in the "almost given up" bunch. I have replaced the drier and expansion valve, evacuated, and recharged. Eventually needs more R-134a. I add a can every 6 months or so. Not spending any money on an inadequate system. I use roof air and we are comfortable ... 1/2 gal/hr of diesel for the genset .... cheap by comparison. The bonus is that the entire RV stays cooler and, when you arrive, additional cooling is quicker.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 AM   #3

I feel your pain--there a number of reasons why AC hoses might leak repeatedly but high ambient temp in the engine compartment and more important, high 134a pressures, contribute the most. Think I would look at making sure condenser is being properly cooled by engine fan/or aux electric fans. Would also consider replacing expansion valve and the air filter/dryer, flowed by a complete system flush. I spent over 10 years chasing/resolving a design issue with a "wax valve" fan controller. I was fortunate cost-wise that much, but not all, of my efforts were DIY, but it was still frustrating.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

I'm in the same Boat - so put me down as Given up, and running the Generator when we drive in the heat - I still add a can or two of R134 every year just so the Dash A/C blows "Cool Air" (IMHO it helps) ($3k before I gave up - slow learner)

The system is not complicated it's just prone to LEAK.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I HAVE to have the dash air here in Texas... even with genny and 3 ac's running, the front cab is somewhat blocked off by the opposing slides...
Old 09-26-2017, 06:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
I'm in the same Boat - so put me down as Given up, and running the Generator when we drive in the heat - I still add a can or two of R134 every year just so the Dash A/C blows "Cool Air" (IMHO it helps) ($3k before I gave up - slow learner)

The system is not complicated it's just prone to LEAK.

Best of Luck,
Pretty much sums it up except I spent about $125 before arriving at the "why bother" decision. If it was a gasser I'd probably look harder but 45' of hose is too much.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I HAVE to have the dash air here in Texas... even with genny and 3 ac's running, the front cab is somewhat blocked off by the opposing slides...
Ah yes .... the dreaded wide spaced ducts over the slides.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Ah yes .... the dreaded wide spaced ducts over the slides.
At least on our coach, the overhead cover at each AC unit has louvers that I can open to direct cold air down the middle of the coach. That helps when the slides are in.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #9
mff

dash ac

gave up a long time ago
Old 09-26-2017, 07:28 AM   #10
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've found that if it's really hot I can dump a couple cans of Freon into the system and it will last a day or two. Otherwise we run the genset and basement air. It does a pretty good job by itself. Have chased the leak and spent a lot of money on it, just not worth it.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #11

i didn't bother to fix the dash a/c.

our front a/c is on inverter. when engine is running, the alternator outputs 160a that is enough to power the a/c.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #12

...do the math---160 amps DC from your engine alternator is approx. 16 amps AC. That is not enough to run all your DC requirements AND run the roof AC. Think you are going to significantly shorten the service life of your alternator. 16 Amps AC is also a pretty heavy load for your inverter [assume 2000 watt] to produce on a continuous basis. So don't stress your DC components--run the genset to power the roof AC and forget about DC current.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
On our new to us DP, I noticed the dash air blowing hot air when we first test drove the rig. Dealer 'fixed' it by recrimping the High Pressure hose fitting at the compressor and recharging. Year later, in BC, no air. Local shop replaced the Schrader valves at the compressor (one was leaking) and recharge ($400). Year later, no air-Cat dealer went to town; He showed me the bad hose crimp the selling dealer did, small leak at compressor (new compressor) and I forgot what else. Extended warranty paid about half, we antied up $2000. Now dash air still working, but I noticed the HP hose fitting is leaking again (oil on hose at crimp). Is there any fix?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...do the math---160 amps DC from your engine alternator is approx. 16 amps AC. That is not enough to run all your DC requirements AND run the roof AC. Think you are going to significantly shorten the service life of your alternator. !6 Amps AC is also a pretty heavy load for your inverter [assume 2000 watt]. So don't stress your DC components--run the genset to power the roof AC and forget about DC current.
understood... actually i have more than just 160a from the alternator - 2160w solar panels on the roof, 1200ah lithium battery and magnum ms2812 pswi. even without alternator, i have seen only 150a drawn from the battery when front a/c was on.

by the way, my solar system was intended to charge my toad - a c-max plugin hybrid.

when coach is in motion, the solar energy has nowhere to go after the battery is full. if i don't use it, it will get wasted... plus the alternator output... .

happy trails.

Tags
dash