Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #1

DC function and repair CC Concept.

I have a ( new to me) CC Concept. It's old, but with very low miles, like new in most areas. It's a true bus, the way I see it, only it was affordable compared to a Provost.. That said, I am having a problem with three light switch panels in the cockpit area. My problem is no lighting of the switches. Not being a long time CC guy I am not sure if all the CC coaches were built this way, with the mother board in the middle bay. It's very impressive , lots of lights daughter board cards, all in a row 4 foot long. My guess that's where my problem is, one of the boards....Anyone out the know this set up and where do you find these boards or where to have them repaired.All the others in the rear work fine, , a green light when a switch is on amber when it's not. That almost has to be the problem , as all the switches work , jus don't light up.( very hard to tell when a circuit has been turned on). Any help would be grateful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #2

Likely a badd connection in the panel.

Follow the wires back to source.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #3

Darstar,
If I understand right, you have three switches that turn on what they are supposed to turn on, but the switches do not light up? If that is the case, the problem is in the switches, and all you have to do is to replace them. Country Coach should have them.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I replaced some 12v switches that had a Led light in them.

Napa had the switches on hand for about $6 as I recall.

I disassembled the switch, noted the manufacturer number, and took it to Napa auto parts. There are also crossover charts to be found on the internet.

Installed the new switches and the nice green LED lights up.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Re: the Circuit Boards. They are probably CC specific and originally made in small quantities.

I repaired the Automatic Water Fill CB with help from folks on IRV2 forum.

Since finding a replacement is probably impossible, repair was the only option.

Shipping the board to an unknown repair facility was not a comfortable option.

Most often it is a board component that has failed, not the board itself.

Like all other aspects of owning an old rig, DIY was the only reasonable option.

The internet is extremely helpful in describing diagnosis and repair.

I am doing my OTR AC repair now and will save about $1,000 vs using a repair facility. But, prior to 2 years ago, I had zero experience with AC stuff. Everything is explained on the internet except it is in terms of car sized systems.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #6

Each sq. panel has several push button switches. There is one switch that only controls the LED light up function on each panel. For some reason three panels all in the cockpit area has this problem.The light function went out on all three at same time. CC talks about a relay problem but goes no further . That's why I think the problem is in the daughter board. I talked to a former electrical who worked at CC . He also thinks it a problem in one place and told me to try to isolate the problem board by tracing the wiring and listening for a click at the central panel location. It would be strange for all three light up push switches on three different panels to quit working at the same time. Tomorrow I will try again to trace the wiring which are very small in bundles in about 20 wires for each button leading to the Mother board. That's hundreds of wires coming from all over the coach, mostly due to the many functions ie; green LED, yellow LED from redundant locations.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:16 PM   #7

My guess is since you have an odd thing happen on different parts that is a common problem at the same time then the cause is most likely common to all.

So test that.

Turn off batteries and other power and check continuity between the lights on the boards to see.

Then look for a connector common to them.

Cc used on earlier ones a connector by AMP that is not the best and gets a little wonky over the years.

Pay attention to wire color and number and make notes and maybe draw a map.

Example ours has battery in front under hood on pass side for genny and leveler.

That battery also supplies memory for clocks and radio.

It also powers one of the circuit cards hidden above the pass side front overhead that is a voltage regulator for the fuel guage.

Wire takes odd path but is good from top to under dash but bad from there to battery.

Added new to battery with fuse and all well.

In your case you may have some odd reason to have power routed some odd way or to a switch of some sort.

Maybe reach out to find another owner of same year that can advise if there may be other switch or maybe have then read voltages.

Request they confirm if powered by which battery.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I replaced some 12v switches that had a Led light in them.

Napa had the switches on hand for about $6 as I recall.

I disassembled the switch, noted the manufacturer number, and took it to Napa auto parts. There are also crossover charts to be found on the internet.

Installed the new switches and the nice green LED lights up.
The problem is the switches are mounted fixed to the electronics board, all of them. My only hope is to put a signal generator on the ends that terminate in the mother board, where thousands of wires, the size of telephone wire, very small and in bundles. That still will not tell me ( if I can find the wire) if the daughter board is bad, but I can come close.

Tags
repair