Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:40 PM   #15

I agree solar would be nice, but its where its stored seems to be my biggest concern. Its in a covered storage facility, with sidewalls on all three sides. The front is the only side thats open. I back in because I keep my bike rack on it, and worry of theft Its pretty tight on both sides. Cant get the compartment doors all the way up. So, I am thinking a generator would be best because I can get the doors open enough to grab the plug.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #16

Doors only open enough to get my arms in but really can't see what I am doing. Depending on my calorie intake sometimes i have to slide sideways to get down the sides of the coach. Another reason why I back in. So, buying or renting a generator and plugging it in seems to be the best option. I am guessing several hours to get enough charge to start the coach generator. Then hopefully use the house batteries to start the engine.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #17

On my friends intrique I have been checking on I needed to leave the house switch by the door on so the solar would work. I did shut off the battery disconnect located by the chassis battery's but they still went down after a few months. The solar failed to keep the batterys up but we get cloudy weather.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #18

I had the same problem and used to sets of jumper cables. If you can get to the very front door under the driver you can connect a jumper cable there. But with caution turn battery switch on and let charge for a while so you don't pull lots of amps thru a smaller wire.
My Fleetwood has a BBC (battery control center) and after replacement of control board nothing has a battery drain.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 AM   #19

Greg, Not sure what your talking about. But, that front door drivers side is the tightest to get in, because as I am backing in I steer the coach that way the last couple of feet so that I can get out the door.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #20

So, I went to Interstate and purchased a new battery, was able to jump the coach off of it. I hooked the cables up just by feeling around with my hands. Once I got the motorhome out of the storage spot I then took the old battery in and sure enough it had two bad cells. Now that I got her running again I will need to come up with a solution to keep them charged while in storage. The storage facility will let me put a solar panel on the roof above my unit, but I can't drill any holes in the roof structure. Will look at different options for panels, and see about the possible use of holding it down with a block, or sandbag.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #21

Why not do yourself a favor and put a charging port at the front of the vehicle. By that I mean a direct connection to each battery set using something like 12 GA wire and Anderson power pole connectors or similar. It will not handle jump starting current but would handle a charger plugged in to top off the batteries. It would also be a measurement point for state of charge without getting into the unit. You can connect solar there or you can connect a charger running off a small generator or maybe the facility has 120VAC for a couple of hours. Any way you can do it. Stop by once a month and check the battery voltage then charge when they are down in the 70-80% range or arrange a solar maintainer. All depends what you want to spend and how much time you have.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:14 PM   #22

Nothermark,
I agree thats a great idea. Never want to go through that again. So do you have any suggestions for a solar panel. I do very little dry camping, so keeping my batteries charged during storage is all that I would use it for. I do have a Morningstar Sunsaver 6 installed next to 4 Costco golf cart batteries. Then there is a Xantrex Echo charger that goes to the chassis battery. I live in Boise, ID where we do get quite a bit of sun. I will still have to put the panel up on the roof as the front, open side of the motorhome faces north.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
My 02 Intrigue 36' has been parked in storage for 6 weeks, went to start it this evening and everything is dead. I always turn off the main switch to both battery systems after I park. Its in covered storage but have no power source. Can anyone tell me what is the easiest way to get her running again, and with both switches for the batteries in the off position what if anything could have still been on that would have drained them. The covered storage that I am in has all three sides walled off and I am backed in.
Brett-
You may want to look at the solenoid relay on the boost system. Mine welded itself closed on my Concept recently and drained the chassis and generator batteries. My house batteries weren't affected, but in my case, there is no connection between the house batteries and the chassis batteries via either boost system on my coach.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Another consideration is AGM batteries. They have much lower self discharge characteristics than flooded batteries. If you can find a way to disconnect the batteries once parked, do that also. A small solar panel may not help much. Many are only 5 or 10 watts (0.4 - 0.8 amps). So you may get only 2-4 amp hours per day on a resonable sunny winter day, less on cloudy days. Bigger ones may require a voltage regulator. Bigger ones will require larger gage wire.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Nothermark,
I agree thats a great idea. Never want to go through that again. So do you have any suggestions for a solar panel. I do very little dry camping, so keeping my batteries charged during storage is all that I would use it for. I do have a Morningstar Sunsaver 6 installed next to 4 Costco golf cart batteries. Then there is a Xantrex Echo charger that goes to the chassis battery. I live in Boise, ID where we do get quite a bit of sun. I will still have to put the panel up on the roof as the front, open side of the motorhome faces north.
Thanks
Leakage current is not huge. It is somewhat dependent on temperature and age as well as the overall size of the battery bank. That should put it well under an amp but it is leaking 24 hours a day. Charging is only part of the day so the whole thing would take a lot of testing to give you a real answer. I know VW used something like the HF maintainer for shipping their cars. That would lead me to look at the cheap 15 W or so panel from Harbor Freight and no controller.

It also depends on how hard it is for you to stop by the MH and check the batteries. If it is easy to check them I would keep it simple and start with one panel. Put it on one battery bank for a month and check the charge voltage weekly for a month then move the charger plug to the other bank for a month. If you are losing charge faster you will find out in a few weeks checking and can add more capacity.

It's not something you have to obsess over as in make all measurements on Friday at 2:34 in the afternoon. Stay within a day or so and you will get enough data to understand how fast the batteries run down as well as how well the maintainer keeps them up in a few months. Then you can move the checks out and/or add more capacity. You could also make a simple diode splitter and try feeding both banks. Get data then make decisions. Anything else is pure guesswork.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM   #26

Doing the math on the costs of a solar panel, and controller, and modifications of you to easily re-attach the feed from the Controller to the coach. (Or, the Solar Panel wire feeds to the Controller, if it is installed in the coach somewhere close the battery compartment.)

Compare that to the costs of some AGM's, as mentioned they do lose voltage much slower while in storage.

You may find the AGM's are close to the same costs, and would be a lot easier to just park it and shut off the main battery disconnect, the hooking/un-hooking a solar panel feed every time you store it.

Worth penciling out and seeing what it would cost...

It's a great problem to have, for a protected from the elements stored coach is a nice way to go!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 08-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I suffered the "inverter left on" issue once before. The next total battery drain I traced to older batteries bled dry by the solenoid that vents the moisture capture filter (I'm sure there is a more correct name for this) that is in line after the electric air pump for the HWH leveling system. Nothing shuts that off an it draws current.... Enough to discharge older house batteries. I now disconnect that pump when storing the coach and have a set of Lifeline AGMs.

Last thought, I always jump started the coach to get the voltage high enough to start the Onan gen set. Thank goodness these problems are over for me. Was always frustrating to find the coach unstartable.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #28

Thanks for everyones comments. I am still thinking about the best solution.

Since there is no power available at the storage unit, in addition to adding a solar panel, I would also like to come come up with a solution to where I can easily jump start the coach in case this ever happens again.

When she is not being used I will go start the coach and take her out on a 30 to 40 min cruise once a month. Even during the winter when the weather warms up around 40 degrees Ill take her out.

Once I back her in I can't get into the storage bays, so is it possible to install jumper lines that lead to the chassis battery, and mount them where I can get to them. I have a set of heavy duty jumper cables that will start the coach from a good battery that I can always borrow from Interstate battery.

Back to solar panels... I have a Morningstar Sunsaver 6 Controller installed in the battery bay. It was already there when I bought the coach. Can't find anything online that says what size of panel I can hook up to it. Is there anyone using this model and what size of panel they have going to it?
Thanks

Tags
batteries, chassis, house batteries