Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #29
Country Coach Owners Club
If I can get my generator to start, I can eventually start the MH engine.

My genset has a dedicated battery.

Perhaps you could rig a battery to start the genset more easily than a long jumper cable to the engine batteries?

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 AM   #30
Around here the tow trucks and a lot of others have the heavy duty version of Anderson Power Pole connectors on the front to plug in a jumper cable. That can be done in reverse.

FWIW you have two choices in wiring. You can use very heavy wire to handle jump starting current or something like 12 ga and charge through it for 20 minutes or so. A lot cheaper and easier to run but not instant start. ;-)

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #31
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Some great advise here.

Was thinking. Since you don't have power at the building, solar would make a great trickle charge.

However, your issue of drain probably exceeds the charge your solar will provide on those overcast days.

Have you considered installing a cutoff like this? You could mount it under the chassis somewhere easy to get at. You would still be able to trickle with solar and completely isolate the batteries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1440808231.980336.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	105078

Steph and Eden

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Steph and Eden
Miramichi, NB
Miramichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:33 AM   #32
You need a cutoff for the load side sneak paths and a small charger for the internal sneak paths. Solar will usually average out the internal losses. They take weeks, not days, to be a problem.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #33
We have a 2002 Affinity. I have found the house and chassis batteries are very different when the coach is stored. The chassis batteries as long as you turn off the switch in the back bay for that purpose we have never had them go down when we store the coach even for six weeks without any attention. On the other hand the house batteries you need to turn off the main switch on the top panel over the passenger side of the dash and turn of the charger/inverter separately. And even then a small amount of power is used. We have two solar panels and we store our rig outside and they stay full.

Unfortunately your batteries are at least weakened and may be ruined by taking all the charge out of them. Can't you call your tow service and get them to jump you? We have never had to do it but have heard that if you jump the generator and run it for a while you can change the chassis batteries to start the main drive motor.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:06 AM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
I store my motorhome outside for the whole winter from mid october to mid may and it get very cold here in Canada.

Before storing it I completely charge my 6 batteries ( 4 X 6 v for house ) and 2 X 12 v.

I then turn of both swithes and unplug the negative cables on all batteries. I have no solar panel and no electricity at the storage lot.

When I come back in the spring I reconnect the negative cables, turn on the 2 switches.

Next step I start the generator and 15 minutes later I start the main engine. All of that without a problem. My engine batteries are the original batteries dating back to 2006 and my house batteries are 5 years old.

Monaco Diplomat
jacmat is offline   Reply With Quote

batteries, chassis, house batteries