Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #1

Delamination of side wall

We have a 2005 Country Coach Allure that the drivers side wall from the back of the from the back of the front slide, has three bubbles , one from the upper rear corner about 1'x2',under the power cord storage door, about 2'x3' , and under the refrigerator vent about 2' then goes up the wall for about 6'x1'. Does anyone have any thoughts about repairs or replacement of the whole wall,any good repair facilities,and thinking about repainting the dark areas that have paint checks with a lighter color paint.Thanks for any thoughts you have

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My thoughts:

Unfortunately, side wall delamination is a very expensive repair. I would start investigating a possible water leak since that is the most likely cause.

IMO, your best bet is to take it to Country Coach in Oregon. They would be your best shot at getting it fixed. Otherwise, start looking for someone in your area who does that kind of work. Certainly, there are more places near the RV factories and in places with a lot of RV's. Indiana and Florida are good places to look.

In North Carolina, I can highly recommend Commercial Refinishers of Durham. Jason and Robbie Gullie do that kind of work. They did a full body paint job on my previous DP and it was beautiful. They were not quick but they did excellent work.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblair2116 View Post
We have a 2005 Country Coach Allure that the drivers side wall from the back of the from the back of the front slide, has three bubbles , one from the upper rear corner about 1'x2',under the power cord storage door, about 2'x3' , and under the refrigerator vent about 2' then goes up the wall for about 6'x1'. Does anyone have any thoughts about repairs or replacement of the whole wall,any good repair facilities,and thinking about repainting the dark areas that have paint checks with a lighter color paint.Thanks for any thoughts you have
Unfortunately, it needs to come apart and be repaired properly.. My coach is in the shop right now having a large section repaired. I am anxious to see it soon. The price is often dependent upon how easily the panel comes off.

In my case, there is a lot of color changes and graphics (all painted on ) happening in that area. The cost to repaint mine in that area was estimated at about $20k. I was fortunate that the entire panel came off with only minor cracking in 2 spots. They were able to re-adhere the entire panel without the need to replace it and re-paint it. I haven't seen the final bill, but I am estimating it to be $10-12K. Section was about 9'x8' and all of the required re-painting around the repair.

If you are near the Seattle are I would recommend checking out Infinity Coach and K&D Autowerks/RV
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Unfortunately, it needs to come apart and be repaired properly.. My coach is in the shop right now having a large section repaired. I am anxious to see it soon. The price is often dependent upon how easily the panel comes off.

In my case, there is a lot of color changes and graphics (all painted on ) happening in that area. The cost to repaint mine in that area was estimated at about $20k. I was fortunate that the entire panel came off with only minor cracking in 2 spots. They were able to re-adhere the entire panel without the need to replace it and re-paint it. I haven't seen the final bill, but I am estimating it to be $10-12K. Section was about 9'x8' and all of the required re-painting around the repair.

If you are near the Seattle are I would recommend checking out Infinity Coach and K&D Autowerks/RV
I'm curious about how they do that. Do they peel the gel coat off the substrate or do they remove the whole laminated panel structure?
Old 12-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Peeled of the fiberglass sheet and the Luan underneath. Some of the loan came off with fiberhlass, some did not. They ground off the loan that stuck to the fiberglass (placed fiberglass upside down on soft blankets). Grind off remaining Luan on frame and then reapply new Luan and then the fiberhlass sheet. They made it sound and look simple. They said sometimes the sheet cracks, but they can usually repair it from the back side and reattach it
Old 12-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I hope to post some pictures of the sequence in a few weeks on the monaco board.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Not showing the structure underneath, but mid-span you can see the re-attached section between front and rear slide. It is dull so they can touch it up and then re-clear coat it. The one or 2 spots are the only places it cracked when taking it off. The delamination started at the dryer vent and traveled downward.

I was impressed with how little damage there was to it.

Probably pre-mature of me to pass final judgement yet, but so far I am happy (not about the $$, but that's life).

I will post more later, but I don't have the pictures yet.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Certainly looks like they did a good job. I am surprised the outer skin can be removed without destroying it completely. Vacuum bonding makes a fairly strong wall but hung wall (like Newmar uses) would seem to be a better choice in the long term. A reminder to me to check thoroughly around my dryer vent to make sure there is a tight seal.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

Thanks

Thanks to all who offered advice, I am looking forward to seeing pics
Old 12-17-2015, 11:29 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I saw on your profile that you are in Ohio. There are several good shops in Indiana that do work for the coach manufactures there. One is Precision Paint, S&S is another one. Not to far to drive and lots of experience in your type of repair.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote