Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getbak View Post
Have a 466 and just started blowing smoke from tube going down by motor. Gauges show all good. Oil pressure 60. Do you know what it could be

98 40' magna 94000 miles
Ty
I would say you have worn valve guides. ...I never saw that IH engine in a Magna, any year...interesting. That motor was considered a vocational engine, used mostly in vehicles serving specific jobs, most of them local and short haul duty......100,000 is considered fairly high miles if used in over the road continuous operation at max power range . The 6.3 - 7.3 V8 used in Ford P /u trucks was considered worn out at 100,000 if rode hard,and not properly cared for. Good friend of mine as I recall was on the design team for that series, I remember lots of discussions about the design/ cost / profit battle and the rewards He got for developing it.Big sale / profit to Ford for many years and many revisions....I owned several, not so reliable for me, but we drove them very hard, .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:04 AM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
One could call Gillig to learn about the chassis and drive train parts. They have been helpful to some RV owners.

GILLIG

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would say you have worn valve guides. ...I never saw that IH engine in a Magna, any year...interesting. That motor was considered a vocational engine, used mostly in vehicles serving specific jobs, most of them local and short haul duty......100,000 is considered fairly high miles if used in over the road continuous operation at max power range . The 6.3 - 7.3 V8 used in Ford P /u trucks was considered worn out at 100,000 if rode hard,and not properly cared for. Good friend of mine as I recall was on the design team for that series, I remember lots of discussions about the design/ cost / profit battle and the rewards He got for developing it.Big sale / profit to Ford for many years and many revisions....I owned several, not so reliable for me, but we drove them very hard, .
I have a 7.3 in my 02 pickup almost 100k that I ordered new in 01 never needed one repair. It has a ton of high preformance stuff on it that voided the warranty from day one. This truck is beat on regularly and turning 35 inch tires.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I have a 7.3 in my 02 pickup almost 100k that I ordered new in 01 never needed one repair. It has a ton of high preformance stuff on it that voided the warranty from day one. This truck is beat on regularly and turning 35 inch tires.
We all have our experiences that can color the outcome on anything. For me , I pit the turbo package on my F350, I liked the big improvement in power, especially at high altitudes. I pulled a 30ft enclosed car trailer that grossed out a little over 10,000. .......yet , one trip over the Rockies, I costed down hill into Grand Junction with destroyed heads, so . That's how I saw the problem.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I had a very good experience with a Gillig Chassis under my 40 foot Rockwood Classic Motorhome. It had a 3208 300HP V8 and a 4 speed Allison 643 Transmission. Drove it from 1988 to 2010 no problems. Sanford

deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, service