Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

Detroit Diesel Service

Question is, where do those of you that hav a DD engine go for service. Nou that DD has been "sold" to Daimler (MB) I am not aware who services these motors. Further , Allison was also spun off from DD. I do know the Big MB engine is all apart of DD these days, but , where are they serviced?
darstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #2
laj

i do my own dd's when they need it. depending on which one you have parts can be hard to find or a little expensive, but they are still a great engine.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
i do my own dd's when they need it. depending on which one you have parts can be hard to find or a little expensive, but they are still a great engine.
Do you know were I can get the plug,O ring and ball in this pic. It's DT466
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	72864  
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #4

Isn't a dt466 a standard international engine? We have a couple at work and the parts are easy at the international dealer.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

I have been trying for two days to get patrs or even part numbers and nothing. I found the check ball part number just 10 min ago. Jut in case anyone needs it
Check ball # 1820478C1
Old 09-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #6
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
Isn't a dt466 a standard international engine? We have a couple at work and the parts are easy at the international dealer.
exactly what he said. a dt466 is int. not Detroit. Should be no problem walking into any int. or navistar dealer, and probably have them in stock.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

I don't know my manual calls it a Detroit series 40. From what I read it's a international engine with detroit electronics
Old 09-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
I don't know my manual calls it a Detroit series 40. From what I read it's a international engine with Detroit electronics

You are correct. This engine was developed By IH mostly for off road/farm tractors, and fire trucks. There is a lot of discussion as to the similar features to the Detroit series 40 engine.. They are different , not the same , but some parts are interchangeable. The controversy continues. .
Old 09-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

great engine and very desirable in mid size trucks.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
great engine and very desirable in mid size trucks.
I am sure that engine has preformed well in vocational vehicles. There must also be a reason it's not recommended for over the road distance trucks. One plus it's a wet sleeve block.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #11

Well I went to my local International dealer and I was able to get what I need. It will be here on Tuesday. It's actually turns out its a International 530. When I researched this engine the wet sleeve was a big plus. We got 9.8 mpg from florida to Connecticut running the dash air 90% of the time. Not to sure why there aren't so many of them in rvs. They made them for like 25 years now.
I Guess once Detroit puts on the electronic package the name changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	72965  
Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Well I went to my local International dealer and I was able to get what I need. It will be here on Tuesday. It's actually turns out its a International 530. When I researched this engine the wet sleeve was a big plus. We got 9.8 mpg from florida to Connecticut running the dash air 90% of the time. Not to sure why there aren't so many of them in rvs. They made them for like 25 years now.
I Guess once Detroit puts on the electronic package the name changes.
Interesting that my CC Concept has a series 60 Detroit and it's a 1997. It does surprise me that CC did not use the series60 on your coach. Gillig delivered these chassis running to CC ready to build , all of them . You may have a rare install using an IH tractor engine. Sounds like you are doing very well getting that MPG., that's great!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Interesting that my CC Concept has a series 60 Detroit and it's a 1997. It does surprise me that CC did not use the series60 on your coach. Gillig delivered these chassis running to CC ready to build , all of them . You may have a rare install using an IH tractor engine. Sounds like you are doing very well getting that MPG., that's great!
Another thing comes to mind that might offer why these chassis were equipped the way your was. Gillig's main business was city buses and school buses . I remember seeing many International Harvester cut a way chassis,with the Gillig frame I guess. They also built the largest school bus ever made , it would carry over 100 kids.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #14

Have a 466 and just started blowing smoke from tube going down by motor. Gauges show all good. Oil pressure 60. Do you know what it could be

98 40' magna 94000 miles
Ty
Getbak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, service