Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #1

DIY radiator replacement

Ian am curious if anyone has attempted to replace their radiator themselves? Does the unit need to be on a lift or will it come out while on the ground?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #2

We need a bit more info to help you out. What motorhome do you have, gasser,or DP with rear or side radiator. It's too hard to answer your question with so little info. If you notice at the bottom of my reply in the signature area I have listed the pertinent stats of my rig. Doing so will help others know what you have and you'll get more responses.
Go to User CP in the menu bar to do this. Good luck!!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #3

Thank you for the tip!

It is a side mount on a 06 CC Inspire
Old 06-19-2014, 11:17 PM   #4

Mine was replaced by Quinn Cat in Calif. Just looking at it I would think you would have to go up some to clear the ground.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
When I had mine replaced, it was on a raised lift. They unbolted everything and lowered the radiator and charge air cooler as one assembly.

I don't think you can get the radiator out with the coach sitting on the ground. The rear end is going to have to be up in the air at least 1/2 the radiator height
Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 AM   #6

I did my inspire. I blocked the rear jacks to within a couple of inches and raised the rear off the ground. Also lower the front jacks so they have a little load on them. You remove the grill ,swing the ac to the side without disconnecting ,disconnect hydraulics and cap, Drain rad and remove hoses ,disconnect charge air, I have a small genie lift and lowered the whole unit as one piece. I also found the charge air cooler leaking after testing when removed. I had all the sheet metal powder coated so everything went together clean. If im remembering correctly I had it out in less then a day. Nothing really hard or technical. I removed the 4 bolts holding the fan and left it by the engine. I may have some photos I could send if you were going to do the job. I allways take photos to assist in reassembly.
Rod
Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Thank you for the replies. I'm glad to hear it can be done without the need for specialty hoists
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
I did my inspire. I blocked the rear jacks to within a couple of inches and raised the rear off the ground. Also lower the front jacks so they have a little load on them. You remove the grill ,swing the ac to the side without disconnecting ,disconnect hydraulics and cap, Drain rad and remove hoses ,disconnect charge air, I have a small genie lift and lowered the whole unit as one piece. I also found the charge air cooler leaking after testing when removed. I had all the sheet metal powder coated so everything went together clean. If im remembering correctly I had it out in less then a day. Nothing really hard or technical. I removed the 4 bolts holding the fan and left it by the engine. I may have some photos I could send if you were going to do the job. I allways take photos to assist in reassembly.
Rod
were you able to repair them, or did you have to replace?
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #9

Once they start to leak they are junk. Mine was shipped from Radiator Supply House - What can we build for you? to Calif. plus it has rubber mounts.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Once they start to leak they are junk. Mine was shipped from Radiator Supply House - What can we build for you? to Calif. plus it has rubber mounts.
2 stroker
I guess that was my question. I have fixed a CAC in the past, but never an aluminum radiator. I suspect it would depend on where and how they failed.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #11

My failed radiator was a copper unit that had been replaced early on. I had it rebuilt and once the tanks were removed it was apparent they had not been soldered completely. I did repair the cac but decided to update with a bar and plate design that was more efficient.
Rod
Old 06-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My failed radiator was a copper unit that had been replaced early on. I had it rebuilt and once the tanks were removed it was apparent they had not been soldered completely. I did repair the cac but decided to update with a bar and plate design that was more efficient.
Rod
Rod
Where did you get the bar and plate CAC? Was it a strait replacement or did you have to fit it?
thanks

toni
Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #13

the bar and plate design was totally welded aluminum and came with lifetime warranty. I got from radiator supply house in Oregon and it was a direct fit and was in stock.
Rod
Old 06-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
the bar and plate design was totally welded aluminum and came with lifetime warranty. I got from radiator supply house in Oregon and it was a direct fit and was in stock.
Rod
thanks

toni

Tags
radiator, replace, replacement