Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Does Neway Suspension Have the Spring Beams?

i wonder what is going with my spring beam... on my chassis manual, it shows the beam:

but while i was replacing 2 shocks, i looked at the airbags, i did find there cracks on both of them, but there were no spring beams!! how does it know the height without one? i am not sure if the manual is accurate. mine is neway suspension.

has anyone with the same neway ifs suspension (on dynomax chassis 2000 and later) seen the spring beams there? also, has anyone replaced the airbags by oneself?

thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 02:20 PM   #2

Countryfit; did you post the right picture of your suspension, can't see the air spring, or the leveling valve linkage in the one posted.
Need to see a picture of the lower end of the linkage.

EDIT: on a re-read of your post , I see you have " IFS", the illustration is of a solid beam axle. Not your suspension.
If Country Coach ever built on a Freightliner chassis then , they didn't up-date the manual when they switched to Dynomax, because that illustration is identical to my coach.
The tag " Spring Beam " refers to the part behind the " Articulating Level Arm"
but no matter , I'm sure that's a Freightliner suspension shown.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

hi skip, yep it's neway ifs suspension. i just retook couple more photos... here they are...

from bottom in front of wheel. notice the red shock still fresh (replaced this morning

this one was taken at arrear of the front wheel. really nothing there.

thanks.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:54 PM   #4

The ride height on my IFS uses the sway bar, connected with a U-bolt, no spring beams. Yours looks like it could be similar.

The manual can be found here: Holland Neway IFS Maintenance Manual
Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:03 AM   #5

thank you dale... the document is great, it sure looks like the same with mine. the only problem is - on figure 11, i don't see the linkage assembly on mine (the linkage is normally called "height beam", i guess). but i did see the height control valves. i still don't understand how the system knows what actual height is so to adjust the height...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #6

As the suspension raises and lowers , the sway bar twists in it's mounts the link transfers that twist to the ride height control valve and the valve adds or vents, air to/from, the air springs.
Figure 11 shows 2 different control set ups.
Just did a breeze through the manual , didn't read every page, but I'd think height adjustment would require, moving the clamp on the sway bar.
That would have to be done with a great deal of caution as moving the wrong way would drop the coach as the system vents.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
As the suspension raises and lowers , the sway bar twists in it's mounts the link transfers that twist to the ride height control valve and the valve adds or vents, air to/from, the air springs.
Figure 11 shows 2 different control set ups.
Just did a breeze through the manual , didn't read every page, but I'd think height adjustment would require, moving the clamp on the sway bar.
That would have to be done with a great deal of caution as moving the wrong way would drop the coach as the system vents.
hah, that makes sense. clearly mine is the second on the pics.
since my airbags are full of cracks after 14 years, i guess i'll get those replaced soon by a pro. thank you skip
Old 07-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #8

Yep, I agree with Skip426 all the way, he saved me typing it.

Here is a photo of my actual setup:
Dale C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #9

both skip and dale were correct , but it looks like mine just a slightly different... here is what i just found out... the stick with red arrow pointed is the "height beam", isn't it?

my front is at the lowest point, when i press "up" arrow on leveling panel, it won't go up. i am guessing probably the valve is the gremlin. will find and order one...
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #10

While there you go, an adjuster. Must be a different year , or a running production change.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
I guess you could call it a spring beam, I call it a control rod.

It sounds like something is wrong with the HWH system and not the valve. If the coach is running and in neutral with the park brake set, pushing the up button should cause the front of the coach to raise. When you push the up button, do you hear any air leaking?

If you do install a new ride valve, be careful as they can be installed 180 degrees out and won't work.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I guess you could call it a spring beam, I call it a control rod.

It sounds like something is wrong with the HWH system and not the valve. If the coach is running and in neutral with the park brake set, pushing the up button should cause the front of the coach to raise. When you push the up button, do you hear any air leaking?

If you do install a new ride valve, be careful as they can be installed 180 degrees out and won't work.
hi don, to your question - when i press the arrow up while gear in n and brake in parking, there is no leaking sound, just not doing anything.

good idea i'll call hwh to see what they will say... thanks don!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #13

a quick update -
i did notice the height rod retaining bolt was loose. i brought it back to the original mark, tightened it up, then started engine and tried a few things:

(1) while gear in n and in parking, front up and down arrows were still red. pressed the up one, after a few minutes, no changes.
(2) pressed "air" twice to test auto leveling. you know what, it auto leveled perfectly. the front was up in the air. does it tell me the airbags, height valve and control panel are all in working order?
(3) i pressed the "off" button, heard air venting in all wheels. the coach was back to lower position. however, the "travel" light was NOT on, the front "up" and "down" were lit up again.

so, does anyone know what could possibly be wrong? thanks.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
With what you said, I would say that the valve, air bag, and possibly the control panel is working. With the motor running and turning off the control panel, the coach should have stayed at ride height. All that leaves is the big buck item, the one located behind the panel in front of the pax seat

I think it is time to call HWH

Tags
suspension