Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #1

Domestic battery phantom current loss?

Checked my domestic battery's for phantom losses and found there was a current drain of 1.7 amps with the battery cable disconnected and an ammeter in series with it and the battery. All 12 volt stuff is turned off. Pulling all the fuses in the 12 volt panel in the compartment that houses the battery disconnect switches only brings it down to 1.4 amps? Any ideas where the phantom drain could be? All the lights in the compartments are off. Also another question when the domestic batteries are fully charged the voltage and the converter is in float mode the voltage is 13.6 volts is this normal or should it be a volt lower.

Roy 2002 allure 32 ft

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:13 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well certainly all LP detectors and what not would put at least a small draw.

I'm sure there are other things... radio memory, so forth.

Seems like your float should be near or just over 14?

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #3

All the LP detectors and light switch indicators get their power from the fuses that I have removed. The starting battery is floating at 12.7 volts on a separate charger just wondering if 13.6 volts will boil the water out in time but the 1 1/2 volt phantom discharge will be a major pain dry camping and I haven't been able to use this rig yet since I bought it in April.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You said 'with battery cable disconnected'. How can you have any loads on the batteries with the positive cable disconnected?

Are you merely shutting off the house battery (salesman) switch inside the coach? If so, it does not eliminate many phantom loads. I had to install a manual (Marinco) battery disconnect switch for the house batteries to really disconnect them. My coach came with a real chassis battery disconnect but none for the house batteries.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
TR4

The chassis disconnect solinoid has a large draw. I bypassed mine.

Bill
Old 08-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #6

"converter is in a float mode"

I assume you mean the combo Inverter, Converter, and Battery Charger unit that most refer to generically as the Inverter.

If the invert mode is on, it will draw from the house batteries even if the battery shut down switch is engaged. I learned this the hard way.

The 13.6 v reading is the same as my rig when in the float charge mode.

If the charger is removed and the batteries sit for a period of time, the reading will revert to 12.6 dcv (full battery) because the float charge is now removed.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

So the 13.6 float is ok. Checking with the positive switch on and an ammeter in the negative cable I also have the inverter-converter negative cable and ground disconnected along with the 120 volt inverter breaker off. Where is the chassis disconnect solenoid I'll try disconnecting it. I get the same phantom load if the negative cables are connected and the battery disconnect is in the off position with the ammeter across the open positive switch terminals so the disconnect switch is totally disconnecting the positive side of the battery. Unfortunately CC doesn't supply a really good wiring schematic .
Old 08-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

What is "the positive switch" that is on during your test?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
TR4

On my coach the chassis disconnect is in the battery bay. There's a compartment over the batteries that holds the inverter. In there are two solinoids, one the chassis disconnect and the other is the battery boost solinoid. When my "salesman switch", located by the front door, was in the on position, the solinoid would be hot. Since I'm running on solar and don't want the draw on the batteries at night I bypassed it.

Note, this solinoid only uses power when the "salesman switch" is in the on position.

Bill
Old 08-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #10

Turns out the inverter is causing most of the battery drain. I unplugged the coach which helped in my case. The propane detector with the shut off is somewhere around an amp.At least I now know what and where the drains are originating from . My mother past on last night so I need to take a break from the coach for a bit as we will be on a road trip for the funeral.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Turns out the inverter is causing most of the battery drain. I unplugged the coach which helped in my case. The propane detector with the shut off is somewhere around an amp.At least I now know what and where the drains are originating from . My mother past on last night so I need to take a break from the coach for a bit as we will be on a road trip for the funeral.
Sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Best to you and God bless you and your family.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:43 AM   #12
TR4

Sorry for your family's loss, have a safe trip.

Bill
Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #13

13.6 is the happy place for float charge as a generic value.

All batteries vary a bit so get a copy of the data sheet for your battery or check with the manufacturer, for now it is close enough to not worry until other priorities are completed.

Tags
battery