Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

Door steps deploying while driving

Has anyone experienced their stairs deploying while driving down the road? It just happened to us the other night. Did the "open-shut" with the door a few times and it brought the stairs back in, but 30 seconds later the light would come on again and the steps would be out.

The only thing I can think of is that, after 12 years, the plunger on the switch has gotten worn to where it no longer depresses the switch button consistently and fully. Or, it could be a switch going out. In which case, not sure how to fix (is it a simple replacement of a new part?)

Has anyone seen this before? And if so, what did you do to fix it? Thanks in advance!

macnanday is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #2

Friends had same problem with their CC. Sprayed switch with some Corrosion X. After cycling switch a few time. Never had the problem again.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 06-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What brand/model of steps.
Do you have the solver button switch?
That is a Normally Closed switch, and the contacts close when the door is opened. So if one of the wires was shorting to ground, it could make the door open.

When the ignition switch is on, its signal is trying to close the door.
If the door switch thinks the door is open, it will extend the steps.

Sounds like it is likely door switch related since opening/closing the door will retract the steps.

Dan
Old 06-20-2016, 12:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
What brand/model of steps.
Do you have the solver button switch?
Sounds like it is likely door switch related since opening/closing the door will retract the steps.
Hi Dan, Not sure the band/model (coach is '04 Allure). Will look into that. What is a solver button switch?

As you described, I'm wondering if there's an intermittent loss of closed signal while driving. Only reason I mention wear on the door-side plunger is it seems awfully worn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
Sprayed switch with some Corrosion X. Never had the problem again.
I'll try that, couldn't hurt and would be an easy fix if that's the problem. Thanks!
Old 06-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

Locate the door switch and investigate.

The engine overrides the manual control so if engine is on the steps will operate regardless of the switch inside that enables door.

Could be either magnetic or plunger.

If magnetic the magnet is often weak or not perfect alignment but tear apart a hard drive and a very strong flat super magnet can be harvested and epoxied in place.

Also check wiring too.

Just turn do on with engine off then carefully operate door as well as bumping the frame simulating bumping ride.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnanday View Post
Hi Dan, Not sure the band/model (coach is '04 Allure). Will look into that. What is a solver button switch?

As you described, I'm wondering if there's an intermittent loss of closed signal while driving. Only reason I mention wear on the door-side plunger is it seems awfully worn.

I'll try that, couldn't hurt and would be an easy fix if that's the problem. Thanks!
A "Solver Switch" is what I call it when I can't spell "Silver Switch"

If the plunger is silver, it is a N.C (Normally Closed) switch, and depressing the plunger will spread the contacts and open the switch. So in this case a bad switch usually results in a door that won't open.

But your first effort should be to pull the switch out, and see what kind it is.
You can short the terminals with a screw driver....if the switch is already closed, nothing will happen. If the switch is open, your screwdriver will make the steps move.

Regards,

Dan
Old 06-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A nice guy pointed that out to us one day while at a traffic light. I had been hearing noises and thought the dang wheels were falling off and was looking for a side street.

Turns out the DW just didn't quite get the door shut all the way.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I've had the same problem and fixed it by first removing and cleaning then reinstalling the screw holding the ground wire (green). There's a lot of road grime that seems to collect there. Clean it with isopropyl alcohol. Second, I cleaned the switches inside the door to ensure that they operated easily. Since doing that, the steps operated as they are supposed to operate.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #9

Macnanday

Are the steps actually extending all the way open?
Our Intrigue step open light came on a few months ago. The steps were only coming out an inch or so but the red dash light was alarming.
I ended up cleaning out the step slide brackets at the extreme inside part of the slides. Built up "goo" in the tracks was keeping the rollers from coming all the way in.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:01 AM   #10

on ours the switch is in the door and our first thought was it was a plunger problem then we taped a penny in the jamb and it helped for a month then started doing it again. Bob Vinson figured it out and it was the wire going from the jamb to the door. Over time the wire was damaged. He got another harness color coded for our coach from kevin whait and problem solved. Not sure if your coach has the same systems.
08 magna
Old 06-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #11

Our Allure was doing that last year. I investigated and we have the silver button and on the door side is a grey plastic bumper that pushes in the switch when the door is closed. Over time and heat the plastic bumper had moved and was allowing the silver plunger to start coming out during travel or not stay pushed in all the way. I moved the plastic bumper and centered on the silver plunger and it has been fine since. Good luck!
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
Our Allure was doing that last year. I investigated and we have the silver button and on the door side is a grey plastic bumper that pushes in the switch when the door is closed. Over time and heat the plastic bumper had moved and was allowing the silver plunger to start coming out during travel or not stay pushed in all the way. I moved the plastic bumper and centered on the silver plunger and it has been fine since. Good luck!
Hey Funjnt, that's my suspicion. On my Allure, the plastic bumper/plunger is cracked. (see photo) I'm sure there's a way to adjust or replace it, but I'm not sure how at this point. May have to remove the padding/seal to get to the base of it. Does it unscrew? Anyhow, I'm going to try taping a rubber nub on the switch side for this weekend's trip then look into a more permanent solution. Thanks!

Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRex45 View Post
Are the steps actually extending all the way open?
Our Intrigue step open light came on a few months ago. The steps were only coming out an inch or so but the red dash light was alarming.
I ended up cleaning out the step slide brackets at the extreme inside part of the slides. Built up "goo" in the tracks was keeping the rollers from coming all the way in.
Hey BRex, yes, they're coming all the way out. But, that's a good tip. I need to clean and lube them anyway. Will check for extra "goo". LOL
Old 06-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
I've had the same problem and fixed it by first removing and cleaning then reinstalling the screw holding the ground wire (green). There's a lot of road grime that seems to collect there. Clean it with isopropyl alcohol. Second, I cleaned the switches inside the door to ensure that they operated easily. Since doing that, the steps operated as they are supposed to operate.
Thanks Carl,
Where was the ground wire for you? In the wheel well?

Also, if you see the photo I posted (above) does your plunger look like that? I'm wondering if an end broke off because it doesn't look, to me, like it's supposed to be that way.

Tags
door, steps