RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #1

Dry PTO replacement

So I inspected the PTO on my new to me, 2006 Intrigue, and it does need to be replaced with a wet kit. I talked to Kevin in Junction City and he will do it for about $1300 total.

The problem is that I can't get out there until mid July, and I plan to take the Coach to Colorado (home) from Minnesota by the end of next week, and don't want to drive it about 700 miles without it being replaced.

I know that I can do it myself, but then again, I would rather have a shop do it. If I try it, I will probably run into a problem, or find something that won't budge without specials tools. Most places that I have called seem to know what the PTO problem is only after I explain it to them, but I can tell that they really haven't done one before.

So from southwest Minnesota to Colorado, does anyone have a place that they recommend? I need to replace some tires also.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

If it's not in too bad of shape, just lube it well and you should be good to go until you get time to do it yourself, or decide where and who you want to do it.

I recall reading that some owner's of CC's with dry PTO's, just do a regular lubing, and have many miles and years on their coaches...

Best to you....
Smitty

Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Smitty. Pull the PTO and grease the spines well. Drive it and take it to Kevin when you get a chance.

As far as tires, IMO if they are more than 6 -7 years old or if you have any questions about their condition, replace them. The cost of the tires will be far less than the cost of damage to the coach if you have a blowout.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #4

What brand and type of grease is best to use on the PTO?

Who has the step by step instructions of pulling the Chelsea Brand PTO?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
TTD

I replaced my PTO last year. It took an air tool that looked like a mini jack hammer to separate it from the hydraulic pump.

My original plan was to just separate it a bit, inspect and lube... but once i could not even separate the two parts - I went ahead and ordered a completely new PTO before taking it apart.

With the new part in hand, I went to a heavy duty truck transmission shop. Camerota's is who I used, but not sure if they are near you... but any heavy duty transmission shop should be able to handle it.

It can be done on the ground, but having the coach in the air is so much easier and I just had no way to get it off the ground.

Anyway, I agree to first see if the parts will separate easily (remember there is a bracket likely holding up the connection area so you may need to take that off to get the parts to separate. (I have a whole thread outlining my issues in not seeing that bracket).

If they separate easy, then your splines are probably in decent shape... get the chelsea PTO lube (online or from the transmission shop) and you should be fine until you get to Kevin's or wherever you have it done.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #6

http://www.jdrv1.com/sitebuildercont...s/pto-101a.pdf

Here is mine

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2015 Wranagler JKU towed
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Just so you know, Mike, I printed out those pictures when I went to look at our Intrigue and used them as a guide to determine if she had the mod done or not. Thank you.
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #8

if I take the PTO off far enough to put grease in it, will I still have to separate it from the pump, and will I lose fluid? I concerned that if the pump is stuck, I won't be near a garage with enough tools to get it off.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
TTD

There is no fluid... only grease.

Separate, grease, put back together.

When it's separated, feel the splines on both parts and determine if they've started to deteriorate. Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll be in great shape... then you can skip the wet PTO and just lube every so often.
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #10

Two 3/4 bolts hold the pump to the driven end of the PTO - then the pump (with all the hydraulic hoses connected) slides back and you can see splines. I used a phone camera to take pictures of the shaft/PTO splines to see up close (hard to get your head up there), when I still had the dry splines.

I removed, rebuilt, replaced the PTO with instructions from John Davis - link above. Here is John's web page for PTO wet kits. Pretty straight forward except pressing out the old PTO shaft and pressing in the new one (longer to accommodate the wet kit).

Hope this helps.
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #11

Yes, I have made contact with John about the wet kit. Are you saying that I can slightly pull apart the PTO, inspect and grease it, without having to press something back into place? I will be at a semi-remote location with only 1/2 drive tools to work with.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #12

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
So when you say you inspected the dry and

Have to Replace with a wet kit ??
What determined that it Had to be replaced now ?
Does it not function ?
I see you didnt split it
Does the seller say its a problem.

As others are saying.
This is long term wear issue.
Many years.
A little lubrication goes aomg way.

Anyplace that is rv friendly
Big rig
Big rig transmission shops
Farm equipment shops
Construction equipment shops
Wrecker service shops
This is not a complicated job with a few tools and someone who spends day and nights under and around hydraulic and direct drive equipment.
Kansas, Minnesota, colorado has tons of shops that have tackeld these issues daily.

Many times a call to a wrecker service, the highway pattol, a trucker or farmer can give you the lead you need.

Even when you get back to the Denver and South area.

I and friends have endid up behind a J.D. or Case, kabota dealer several times with a energetic fix all, fix anything kind of guy.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Yes, I have made contact with John about the wet kit. Are you saying that I can slightly pull apart the PTO, inspect and grease it, without having to press something back into place? I will be at a semi-remote location with only 1/2 drive tools to work with.
Correct - I used a 3/4 box end wrench to remove/replace the 2 bolts holding the pump to the driven end of the PTO. One bolt on top and one on bottom.

The pump slides towards the front of the coach and the shaft separates from the driven end of the PTO. Liberal amounts of grease inside PTO driven end spine receiver and on pump shaft splines and reinsert pump shaft, and re-tighten bolts.

Take a portable light and something to lay on under coach - and eye protection.

Picture of the pump pulled away from PTO - PTO is in upper right of picture

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05802.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	250063  
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #14

So that picture was taken while you were under the Coach? And do you have a red "Chelsea" PTO? Does any transmission fluid fall out?

Tags
ace, replace, replacement