Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 11:45 PM   #1

Electric Cord Retractor

Mine has become extremely hard to get the cord back in. It's getting worse. The cord just won't go in without extending it some and trying again. It works until it won't go in again, and again. I'm worried about being stuck at a campground.

I can get to the barrel and workings thru the closet, I think. I may require pulling some carpeted panels. Have any of you tried this? What is likely wrong and how can I fix it?

J Lewis
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Adjust the tension on the roller. You need to open the hatch in the closet to get to the adjustment.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I am starting to have the same issue, especially when I get to the last few feet of the cord. Guess I will be squeezing into the closet sometime soon.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
First try extending the cable ALL the way, lay it out straight, smooth any kinks in it, then as you reel it back in wipe it with a clean rag and some 409. Over time all the junk that heavy cable is dragged through builds up. I actually keep a rag in the wet bay and wipe mine down as I reel it in each time I disconnect. On those days when the over night dew is heavy your shore cable can pick up a lot of junk on it's way back into the bin. Who wants that in the bin or all over your drive rollers?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #5

The coil has to go onto the spool pretty straight or it will double or triple wrap over itself and run out of space on the spool. You have to run the cable evenly across the whole spool and then let it double on itself and run it accross again. Mine runs 2 layers of coils over the spindle. But if I don't guide it, it will start a third layer and bind up. As the other post said, use a rag as the cord retracts and help it wrap evenly around the spool. I have to stick my head in the compartment to see it.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:05 PM   #6

OK. I'm disappointed I might have to "baby" the cord as it goes it. Something this complex and expensive should just work. BUT if I have to, I have to. I don't have any 409, yet; but o do have some spray silicone and a dry lubricant for the slides. I'll pull it out and wipe it down ,letting it soak in a bit.

I sent an email to Glendinning service Friday. We'll see what they say.

If I do ending up having to go in and adjust something, has anyone ever taken th carpet off? I felt for screw heads and found none. I'm betting I just end up prying it loose until the glue gives away. I don't know whether I can do it all from the closet door panel or whether I'll have to take the top panel off, too. I presume the panels will be screwed to the cabinet carcass. Any experience here would help. Thanks.

J Lewis
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Electric Cord Retractor

Do NOT use the anything on the shore cable, the Glendinning power head needs a dry cable, anything that lubricates the cable is bad. Lubricating the rollers is good. Once the unit is set up correctly it does not need to be babied. It is pretty tough and can haul 50' of cable with ease until that cable gets wet or has junk stuck to it. The cables have been known to get kinked, just straighten it out, keep it clean and dry and it will love you for years to come. Anything that adheres to the cable will fall of in the bin, that can build up over time and oddly enough a wet cable could drag some of that junk out as it unreels. As I have said before, put it away clean and it will treat you well.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:29 PM   #8

I agree with Dave on the keeping the cable dry, no silicones or dry lube.

I also agree with extending it all the way, let it soak in the sun, and get any kinks out.

All items on these coaches, and any coach, require regular maintenance. To me, a once every three months extension of the cord, and good cleaning, is not a big deal!

I'm also in the club of wiping the cord down as it is going back in.

One other tip passed onto me by a form CC owner, is that a slight drag (even just the weight of the cord is enough of a drag) will help the cord go in. (Drag, vs say pushing on the cord to try and assist the rewind.)

And another tip, was once it is in all the way, say enough to close the door, to not keep the motor running. It will tighten the cord on the reel, and add to your problems and thus accelerate the need to do the full unwind and unkinking of the cable.

And as also mentioned, sometimes the adjustments maybe needed. But, ours is a 2004 model coach, and I've so far not needed to go into the box for any reason.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting discussion. My cord gizmo is the Glendenning that stows the cord in a bucket, no reel. The motorized rollers just pull/push the cord into and out of that bucket.

I always have a rag with me and carefully wipe the cable. I also occasionally deploy all of it, let it lay then retract it. In spite of these efforts, I am now having some hesitation with retraction when I have about 8 feet of cable left to stow.

I do 'help' by lifting and pushing it a bit. Based on the suggestion by Smitty, I will try and let the thing work a bit harder and see if that makes a difference.

This issue started right after the coach was at a RV shop for two months last fall so I wonder if they stowed the cord dirty and I have some crap on the rollers.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Interesting discussion. My cord gizmo is the Glendenning that stows the cord in a bucket, no reel. The motorized rollers just pull/push the cord into and out of that bucket.

I always have a rag with me and carefully wipe the cable. I also occasionally deploy all of it, let it lay then retract it. In spite of these efforts, I am now having some hesitation with retraction when I have about 8 feet of cable left to stow.

I do 'help' by lifting and pushing it a bit. Based on the suggestion by Smitty, I will try and let the thing work a bit harder and see if that makes a difference.

This issue started right after the coach was at a RV shop for two months last fall so I wonder if they stowed the cord dirty and I have some crap on the rollers.

Suspect if the 'slight drag' does not work that you could benefit from some adjustments of tension.

That being said, another CC owner shared that he did try to let the motor do the work while retracting the cord. If it started to seem to 'slip' (motor running but cord not moving), he would extend it back out 3-4' to be sure he did not have a kink or a twist. If it continued to 'slip' at the same place. Yep, he wold 'assist' with a slight push of the cord. (Contrary to my earlier input on what I had been advised not to do!) He said about 20-30% of the time he had to 'assist' the cord in. (Especially with a real cold cord!) He felt he would keep doing this until it required at least 50% of the time assist, then bother with going inside of the cabinet to see if he had an adjustment to make, are a real wheel to replace.

So I suppose my two posts combine = Do what works for you!

(Not an exact science, this thing called RV'ing!)

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Whatever I have to do eventually, the cord reel is a blessing. My previous DP had no motorized reel nor the space to add one. I hated wrestling with that 50amp cord.

Now that I am getting older, I appreciate the cord reel even more, even when it hesitates a bit.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #12

Eagles, I had the same pproblem with mine. A friend suggested I should treat my cord with Protectant 303 and it stopped the problem instantly! He said the cord wasn't laying in the drum but instead it was piling up and binding on itself. I observed from the inside while dw worked the switch from outside and he was correct.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

When you are at 8' of cable left, my bet is that your cable is near the top of the bin causing the hesitation, you are forcing that 8' to drop into the center. Remove all your cable, let is soak in the sun for a little while, you go clean out the bin, debris could be causing the cable to not lay properly in the bin, causing the last 8' to have to look for a home, you push it in, the cable drops into the center of the bin (it should be stacked around the outside). When you retract the cable after doing the above be sure to clean it throughly, that shop you left it at might have sucked up some grease or other debris, when you retract the cable it comes in contact with the grease, the next time you use it the rollers slip on the grease. It could be one of multiple problems, or a combination of several. Keep at it, you will get it whipped!
Old 05-21-2016, 10:48 PM   #14

Mine works fine but I am thinking about replacing the switch with a foot switch so I can use both hands to reel the cable in. The hand switch is right in the path of the cable lay and it's impossible to wrap the cord evenly with the switch there, especially with only one hand. I may try moving the switch to a better position first but that thing really moves the cable in fast, you gotta be quick getting off the switch....!! Sure beats wrestling with a long 50 AMP cable though.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote