Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Electric floor heat

I am curious how those of you with the heated tile floors use the system. It surely makes the floor feel great on bare or sock feet on cold mornings but do any of you rely on it to actually be a source of heat for the coach? If you leave it on do you find it actually reduces the use of either the heat pumps or Aqua Hot?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We only use ours to make the floor comfortable. The system we have does not have the capacity to heat an entire room (I think most RV's would be the same).

2014 40QBH Phaeton DP Cummins 380HP ISL, Freightliner XC, 2014 Jeep Trailhawk TOAD
Blue Ox Aventa tow bar, SMI Air Force One -South Orange County Ca.
dpinvidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Last year we looked we looked at an Affinity with heated floors at CC. Tried out the floor heat, and it worked well. Next day we went back to the coach, and DW asked why it was so hot in there, and we realized the floor heat had been on all night. The only thing to be concerned about is to make sure your plumbing bay is heated in freezing weather--the floor heat does not do that.
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
Towing 2006 Nissan Maxima
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
If heat is needed we turn the floor on and leave on unless it get two warm. The floor heat is usually enough but if it gets colder the aqua hot takes over.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Between the the heated floors and the fireplace we are good down to the upper 30s.
If it gets into the lower 30s the AquaHot on electric will come on. We have only used the diesel on the AquaHot a few times when temps got down below freezing.
Remember that the floor thermostats measure floor temp not air temp so they need to be turned up faily high when the temps drop.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
Ours is on most of the time unless it is really hot. We love the nice toasty floors in our bare feet. It does a pretty good of heating the motorhome so we rarely use other heat.
06 Millennium Prevost
15 HD Limited Low and 16 HD Triglide (DW)
13 Avalanche Black Diamond with Cruiser Caddie
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #7
i program mine to come on an hr. before i get up, stays on for 2 hrs. then shuts off. comes on from 6- 9 in the evening then shuts off. keeps the floor nice to walk around on barefooted. No shoes in my coach.
have had no issues with it, wouldn't have a coach without it. jmho
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #8
I do find in cooler but not extremely cold weather, say fro, 35 and above, that the floor heat set to between 85-90 (90 when we expect temps below 40), that the furnace fed from the HyrdoHot comes on less often.

From 50 up, the floor heat on 85 is usually enough to keep us comfortable in the evening.

I think lots has to do with how many slides a coach has. The more slides, more heat lost potential.

We leave the HydroHot on the Electric option when on shore power. The temp sensor in the water bay, is separate from the inside the coach furnace settings. So heat is directed into the water bay area as needed based upon colder temperatures.

In extreme cold temps, and with shore power on, we will also augment the front of the cab with a electric heater. With the floor heat on at 90, most of the time the electric heater on low - is enough to keep us warm in the front of the coach. (We plug it into the front outlet, and set the heater just behind the front driver seat, point towards the rear of the coach.)

If we're in extreme cold temps, without shore power, we have options between the HyrdroHot on Diesel feeding the furnace. Or, we also have a large Heat Buddy that we can hook into a new plumbed fitting just beneath the refrigerator and the lower two wood drawers. (We usually only run this in the AM, to knock the cold out of the front of the cab. I get up around 5:30AM, crack the kitchen window, and have the front roof vent open enough to allow some air movement. I'll set the large Heat Buddy to medium (one panel is heated), and leave the auxiliary fan off. Then when I get up and start the coffee, I crank it to High (both panels are heated up), and turn on the auxiliary fan. Takes about 20 mins and we're up to very comfortable temperatures in the front of the coach.

We boon docked for 6-7 days in the Yukon along side of Muncho Lake. Every night we were in the low to mid teens. And the above process worked for well for us.

I like the floor heat so much, it would be a must have in any new coach we were to consider...

Best to all,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OK, so based on what I have read here, I turned on the floor heat last evening and set both controls to 90F. At bedtime we shut down the heat pumps (temps were low 30's) and let the AH do its thing (both electric and diesel burner on, T stats set to 65F). It got down to 31 here last night and it is no question that the AH cycled less during the night using the floor heat. Our AH is not noisy but I am a light sleeper and I am sometimes aware of when the boiler lights. Plus, the floors were toasty on that one trip to the head at 2:30 am .

So, we surely plan to use the floor heat regularly.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote