Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 05:45 AM   #1

Electrical gremlins, out of ideas......

Hello all, need some help troubleshooting an electrical problem. I have an 06 country coach inspire 360 we live in about 6-8 months out of the year and owned for 1.5 yrs.

When arrived a few days ago and everything was going good. yesterday while at work, my wife calls me and says that the box fan in the bedroom has quit working. She then tells me that all of the outlets are out and the fridge were no longer on, but the microwave has power. The TVs will also not power on.

We run through some things while I am away, but upon arriving home I have:
1. Tried to reset the gfci below the main electrical panel but I dont feel that it is resetting properly. It is not recieving 110+ volts through the outlet (tested while in place and pulled the plug and tested the wires) I have searched in the basements, cabinets and rooms and find no other gfci outlets

2. Reset the external and internal, electrical breakers.

The onboard surge protector is lit up appropriately and the transfer box is humming like normal. I took the cover off and noticed no burnt, discolored or frayed wires. I didn't touch anything but all of the wires look secure and none of set screws look loose.

3.the xantrex freedom 458 inverter has no lights on the front of it (green/red) I tested the fuse directly upstream (300A?) for continuity and the fluke beeps right back at me, saying it is good. I looked all around this storage area and see no additional breakers or fuses to check. the inverter has a little "25" button on the front of it and it does not click when pushed, so that has me to believe that that has not been tripped.

We still have some available power and our load meter shows we have 50 amp service. Our microwave, water heater, ac units/heater all work. From what I have read these are non gfci protected lines and don't run through the inverter (not 100% on this)

I am at a loss on how/where to proceed from here. Anybody have any good ideas?
NADROJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #2

Take a pen top and push that pop out breaker in harder. Look for others on it..

If that's not it, you may need to open the wire connection cover on the inverter and test for 120 volts in and out.

If it has 120 volts on the " in " side and not the " out " side, the inverters internal transfer switch may be bad.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #3

In step 1 did you have power to gfi at wire connection
If so outlit is bad and needs replacing if not go back to circuit breaker box and make sure you have power to wires on breakers. You should have at least 2 gfi’s in your rv.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Take a pen top and push that pop out breaker in harder. Look for others on it..

If that's not it, you may need to open the wire connection cover on the inverter and test for 120 volts in and out.

If it has 120 volts on the " in " side and not the " out " side, the inverters internal transfer switch may be bad.
i went after the gfi reset button pretty good with a screwdriver, the inlet/outlet wires under the cover will be my next step when i get back to the rv tonight. If only my wife was handy with multimeters and screw drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit View Post
In step 1 did you have power to gfi at wire connection
If so outlit is bad and needs replacing if not go back to circuit breaker box and make sure you have power to wires on breakers. You should have at least 2 gfi’s in your rv.
yes, power was on when testing the gfci and wires, but had no voltage on the multimeter. The second gfi is a mystery for me...........
Old 02-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADROJ View Post
i went after the gfi reset button pretty good with a screwdriver, the inlet/outlet wires under the cover will be my next step when i get back to the rv tonight. If only my wife was handy with multimeters and screw drivers

yes, power was on when testing the gfci and wires, but had no voltage on the multimeter. The second gfi is a mystery for me...........
I was referring to the pop out breaker on the inverter. Pust that in with a pen top.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Something very similar happened to me and it turned out the GFCI outlet was bad and needed to be replaced. At least it was cheap fix! Good luck to you in tracking down this gremlin.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Something very similar happened to me and it turned out the GFCI outlet was bad and needed to be replaced. At least it was cheap fix! Good luck to you in tracking down this gremlin.

did you have more than one gfci in your coach? if so where were they located
Old 02-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #8

Agree with testing power into the GFI outlet, if not, back to the may panel to test for power their.

Do you have a washing/dryer? Sometimes a GFI outlet will be tucked into behind that unit.

And salute to your trouble shooting process so far, I found myself nodding my head, as read the step's you've gone thru...

Please let us know what you eventually find out!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Agree with testing power into the GFI outlet, if not, back to the may panel to test for power their.

Do you have a washing/dryer? Sometimes a GFI outlet will be tucked into behind that unit.

hadn't thought about one being back behind the washer, i will have to check that out when i get home tonight and then back to working my way through the system
Old 02-13-2019, 10:26 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Did it rain or you get the coach washed recently? Check the 110 outlet behind the refer that is on the outside.

A guy in the park had his coach washed and they shot water into the refer vent. Filled the 110 outlet with water and caused the same problem you are having.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #11

If you unplug from shore power do you have power via inverter. It sounds like one leg of the transfer switch may not be working.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #12

I have an older coach but do have a Freedom 458 inverter. On mine I have a second set of circuit breakers down stream of the inverter. The line up is two breakers in the breaker panel feed the inverter then to 2 more breakers in a separate box. One breaker feeds the microwave and the other feed all the inverter outlets in the coach including the GFIC. In my coach that small separate breaker box in located in very top of front bay. It's not well marked and hidden by a speaker. If you have the wiring diagrams I would review them and see how the circuit is laid out. If that separate box is installed the diagrams might tell you were it is located.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
If you unplug from shore power do you have power via inverter. It sounds like one leg of the transfer switch may not be working.
If both AC s work, and it seems like they are, its not the transfer switch. He also stated that his display is showing 50 amp service. That a clue of both hotlines connecting.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NADROJ View Post
did you have more than one gfci in your coach? if so where were they located

Yes, the GFCI that was bad was built into the inverter! I thought the inverter was bad, but it turned out to be just the GFCI plug. I also have a GFCI plug on other circuits, including the TV/Entertainment center, by the kitchen sink, and in the bathroom.
Al

Tags
electric, electrical