Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Electrical issues on 03 Intrigue

I am looking for some help with some electrical issues I am having on my 03 Intrigue with 400 hp ISL. Everything was working as it should before our recent trip. After a 180 mile drive we had no issues with leveling the coach at the RV park. When we left 4 days later the several issues occurred.

When parked I have the step switch off so the steps stay out. When I started the coach in prep to leave the steps did not retract automatically as they should. First glitch.

When I put it in gear with park brake off to allow the air system to raise to ride height the coach did not raise up. The manual raise buttons still work but it would not go to ride height as it should. I used the manual buttons to raise enough so I could drive it. Second glitch.

When driving I noticed the exh brake was activating. The switch was in the off position but the exh brake was working every time I let off the throttle or braked. I tried all three positions on the switch, off-light braking(4th gear)-heavy braking(3rd gear) without a change. Third glitch.

I checked the fuse panel under the drivers seat and found 2 blown fuses, circuit 68 which has leveling, step, ignition, and room control and circuit 245 which is for the air dryer. After replacing the fuses the leveling system seemed to work ok, in gear with park off it raised to ride height and I got a green travel light indicator on the panel. The step still did not retract when the ignition was on so that didn't change and I did not check the exh brake function. I moved the coach into the parking spot and leveled it before shutting down for the night. The next morning back to the leveling not working and both fuses were blown again.

I did some more looking at wiring, specifically the room control panel but did not see any issues there. I replaced the 2 fuses and did a test. I retracted the steps before turning on the ignition to minimize any current flowing to the steps. Just turning on the ignition blew the fuse for circuit 68. (but not for the airdryer)

The leveling panel works as it should except for the ride height part. I was able to auto level the coach and raise manually using the individual switches. This with the fuse still blown. I'm stumped at this point. Any ideas on what I should do next? I am guessing that all three glitch's are related but not sure how to test that assumption. I called Premier, they are about 100 miles from me, but they are swamped right now so can't look at it for at least 3 weeks. I will keep at it for the time being but need some help on where/what to look at.
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #2

I would leave the fuse out of for 245 and then pull the loads off 1 by 1 off ckt 68 to see if the fuse stays whole. I would start with pulling the 12v lead to the step. Then remove the next available 12v lead to the other loads.
You may find a shorted or grounded wire in your 12v load removal.
If the 'bug' goes away, you have to start shaking wires to get to the 'short'.
Bascically, divide & conquer.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
What roberto said. There are some independent mechanics in the JC area that worked for Country Coach, all of them are good techs.

Bob Vinson RV | Motorcoach Service | Upgrades | Repair | Custom Coach Service

Kevin Waite Kevin Waite (Former Country Coach Service Tech. & Owner) K&M Mobile RV Repair LLC
95430 Noraton Rd.

Junction City, OR. 97448
541-953-6162 (Cell)
kvn.wt.7629@...
Old 09-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

I agree with your assessment, I think the fault is in the step. I'm going to make up some ramps today so I can safely go under the beast. I have some 6x6 PT post rems from the recent construction to work with. I'll update this post when I find something.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #5

On our rig, the exhaust brake activation and the Allison downshift often happen close to simultaneously when the throttle is released.

So it is difficult to tell if the PacBrake is working or not.

If your exhaust brake indicator light is illuminated when releasing the throttle with the exhaust brake turned off, then you may have a problem.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
On our rig, the exhaust brake activation and the Allison downshift often happen close to simultaneously when the throttle is released.

So it is difficult to tell if the PacBrake is working or not.

If your exhaust brake indicator light is illuminated when releasing the throttle with the exhaust brake turned off, then you may have a problem.
That's just what happened. On hills you can feel the braking and the light goes on and the trans shifts to 4th. Works as it should except the switch doesn't work.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddan View Post
That's just what happened. On hills you can feel the braking and the light goes on and the trans shifts to 4th. Works as it should except the switch doesn't work.
The good news is that the braking is working.

The bad news is that it works when you do not want it to.

All should be ok except when on icy or slick roads, until you get a fix implemented.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:53 PM   #8

I might have found the problem. I thought looking at the circuit for the step would be a good place to start. Out of the 4 wires feeding to the step computer, 3 had holes in the crimped splice connectors. After replacing all four splices with new connectors the fuse no longer blows and the step and leveling/travel functions work as they should. I will do a short test drive tomorrow to test the exh brake.

Based on how the holes looked I think water got into the crimps through the holes and shorted to the metal step frame. I still have to attach the cover plate for the underside of the step assembly, 3 of the screws broke off when removing it so I have to drill new holes but it's looking up so far.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

Here's a pic of two of the crimps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	219788

Tags
electric, electrical